4.0 out of 5 stars Mr Shakespeare in the internet age
Published on 8 Feb 2012 by Mr. R. S. Akhtar

3.0 out of 5 stars Still getting to grips
As with all classical written pieces it is sometimes difficult to get your head around it. However, this small size book is not so overwhelming and a great introduction to the sonnets
Published 15 months ago by Smurfette

4.0 out of 5 stars Mr Shakespeare in the internet age, 8 Feb 2012
This review is from: Shakespeare's Sonnets (Kindle Edition)
This edition of the Sonnets of the Bard is handy.Although the pleasure of cuddling up to the book version is lost,so is the eye strain and the need for a lot of light for when you're reading in the wee hours of the night in the bedroom with your wife asleep.For someone who cannot get to sleep unless he has read a sonnet of two,it took some getting used to but I've read the 60 or so sonnets so many times that I don't have a problem knowing by heart what section of the book to look at.
There is no page numbers but the sonnet numbers are there and they are correct.There are no punctuation or spelling mistakes and as soon as one sonnet finishes the other one start after a two line gap.the new sonnet number is always there.There is table of contents,but i personally think after the initial awkwardness of remembering without looking what section of the book to look at for the sonnet you want,this is incredible value for money, considering its for free.In fact,i think it makes Shakespeare even better because you have to remember a bit more about the order of the sonnets because there's no contents table.it has certainly made me remember certain lines of the Bard which have inspired me to write better as i've had to search them out and retain them for a while before finding them,and that retention has inspired my own thoughts and i've started writing better.
Overall,a great collection undoubtedly,but also the presentation is commendable. HIGHLY RECOMMENDEDIrreverent Natter- A collection of poems from my 30s

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my needs, 11 May 2012
englishheather (Stevenage, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Shakespeare's Sonnets (Kindle Edition)
After recently downloading the MP3 album Shakespeare: The Sonnets I dug out my copy of 'The Complete Works of William Shakespeare' to see the words as I listened to the music. I bought it for thirteen shillings (65p) in 1970 and the forty plus years since then have not been kind to it (browned considerably) nor my eyesight - the font is tiny! So when I saw this Kindle book I was delighted. It is absolutely perfect for me and I did not have to pay a penny for it.

On my Kindle for PC I can have the font supersize if I want and I also have all 154 Sonnets at my fingertips for when I am ready to go beyond the eleven on the album. I am so very pleased with it.

Regarding its very basic format, viz one Sonnet after another with no 'contents' or index, you could do as I have just done and add a note to every Sonnet. It takes a little while but it is so worth doing. So far I have just listed their numbers (standard Arabic) and it has been a positive exercise for I have been reminded of the Roman numeral system. Later I will be adding the first line of each Sonnet.

I'm actually quite glad that this book is so basic. By getting involved in its structure and providing the contents myself I will be more inclined to read the Sonnets rather than have them 'gathering dust' as my old Hardback has.

5.0 out of 5 stars Always Handy, 3 May 2011
M. Dowden (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Shakespeare's Sonnets (Kindle Edition)
What can one really say about Shakespeare's sonnets? I could go on and on, but then I would end up writing an essay, which would bore everyone to tears. Over the years, I personally have looked again and again at the sonnets for help or inspiration, as I know others do as well. Here you have all the sonnets, and the only problem really with this edition is the lack of an active table of contents. Unfortunately you have to search through the edition to find the one you are after, but when it doesn't cost anything you mustn't really grumble.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 26 July 2014
Edward Fice "Ted" (Woking, Surrey) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shakespeare's Sonnets (Kindle Edition)
You can only admire such writing by a man from centuries past. I bought this after reading how the Sonnets inspired and continue to inspire Simon Callow, the actor. Shakespeare did not inspire me greatly in my school days, I must admit but I like to think that age has given me a better understanding.

5.0 out of 5 stars sonnets, 23 May 2011
This review is from: Shakespeare's Sonnets (Kindle Edition)
In a perfect version the page breaks could be better. But that's unfair as a criticism of a free book. Thank you to the publishers.

5.0 out of 5 stars shakespeare, 2 Jun 2014
This review is from: Shakespeare's Sonnets (Kindle Edition)
What can anyone find to say about Shakespeare that is original but I really enjoy the sonnet form and he is par excellent

5.0 out of 5 stars No frills sonnets, 29 May 2014
Woody (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shakespeare's Sonnets (Kindle Edition)
No frills - no explanations of what the sonnets mean - just the text. All Shakespeare's sonnets for free on your Kindle - much easier that walking around with a book of them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfection marred . . ., 11 April 2014
Ian Crawford "turning the pages" (Lincoln UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shakespeare's Sonnets (Kindle Edition)
There are not enough stars in the Heavens to rate 'The Sonnets', but this Kindle edition is let down by lazy formatting. It works, but the words deserve so much better!

4.0 out of 5 stars Romantically amazing, 23 Mar 2014
This review is from: Shakespeare's Sonnets (Kindle Edition)
Shakespeare is made for the romantics and I loved his sonnets with years in school teachings of Macbeth and romeo and Juliet also king Lear it is great to read more on his work

5.0 out of 5 stars Faultless ..... !!, 13 Mar 2014
SunnyB (Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shakespeare's Sonnets (Kindle Edition)
Ashamed to say, it has taken me until I'm well into my fifth decade, to get around to reading these and how I wish I'd made the effort sooner!

These are stunningly good. A Mater making best use of his tools. This is the English language best used, with elegance and understanding.

Found it helped to read the sonnets out loud, to truly appreciate the rhythm and cadence.

Breathtakingly brilliant!!