on 3 June 2011
Having read The Three Musketeers several times over the years, I wished to read the 'e' version by way of a test. It has been my first Kindle-book.

I have been very disappointed to find so very many errors of spelling, and translation. it's as though someone has very rapidly transposed the novel from page to computer, with no proof-reading afterwards. A great shame to spoil so wonderful a book.
I think everyone must know the story of D'Artagnan, how he wants to join the King's Musketeers, and makes friends with Athos, Porthos and Aramis who are already musketeers. Fighting against the intrigues of the cardinal, Richelieu, they also come up against Milady, as they carry out a secret mission for the Queen.

Over the years this has appeared in many editions, and many media formats, and I expect that like myself most people read it when they were still quite young. But this is a tale that is always worth reading for any age. It has romance, intrigue and loads of adventure, and is most definitely fast paced. So if you have never read this before, or are thinking about re-reading it again, then download this copy to your kindle and escape to a different world.
on 10 March 2012
This has long been on my list of must-read books. I wasn't disappointed, and it held my attention with its great characterization and narrative drive. I do wish I'd read it in my teens, though!
on 5 November 2011
Having some of the classics free for e-books has allowed me to delve into some of these older books,that otherwise I might not have read at all. I read a similar version when I was a lot younger and like most people have enjoyed the various films about the musketeers, and perish the thought that I should forget Dogtanian and the three muskehounds(showing my age here).

I thoroughly enjoyed this book it has some great characters who are covered in great depth so that you feel you know them.The interactions between them, both heroes and villains,are both realistic and varied.
The story itself is well known and has a good pace with sub-plots for all the characters interlacing the main plot. I was quite surprised how long the book was, some of the other classics I have read would not even be half the size of this book, but it was still never boring or slow.
I must mention that although there are the four main heroes of the book, the lackeys/servants of the musketeers play an important part in keeping the book interesting,the mention of d'artagnan's planchet always make me think of Roy kinnear who played a very good planchet in one of the films of the three musketeers, who sadly died while making the last film. The memory of his long suffering but loyal planchet made it easier to relate to the poor lackeys who shine in the story but never get the glory.

An excellent read especially not to be missed while it is free or cheap, I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good book.

Hope this helps
on 29 March 2014
Dumas is a fantastic storyteller but his talents are lost here due to the awful translation. I am not sure if an error occurred during download to my kindle, but I am about 15% into the book and am about to give up - repeated grammar and spelling mistakes and poorly translated text mean this version of the book unreadable.
on 13 February 2016
The quintessential romantic adventure story of the romantic genre. Duels, murders, love affairs, unmaskings, battles – and all on a historical backdrop of 1625-8 France during the height of Cardinal Richlieu’s power. The plot is fantastic – so much action and yet weaved together so well with little mysteries gradually revealed along the way. The characters have been described as “well-defined stereotypes” as if that was a bad thing – what could be funnier?; the 4 protagonists are likeable, amusing, and essential to the success of the story. I cannot say enough good things about the overall plot and the characters.

The way in which the plot is executed, however, is not as flawless. There are so many duels over nothing, and the characters’ attitude to death is so non-chalant, that all the dangers they meet come to be trivial and the reader’s concern for their safety disappears. Similarly, the dialogue and writing are also too flippant. (Of course, I now know that like Renaissance painters, Dumas did not complete the details of his work but just the overall scheme.) The 4 protagonists shine as “well-defined stereotypes.” The women characters (mainly D’artagnan’s mistress and Milady), however, reveal just how little Dumas and his writers knew about the opposite sex – especially in the dialogue. Objections aside, Milady is a delicious character – her beauty and female mask allow her to manipulate the world around her - and any Victorian novel with a female vilian gets my vote.

Overall, the book is very good but not great. I can certainly see why the story is so popular and well-liked, but I don’t think the novel entirely lives up to its reputation. On a final note, I can’t believe that a big-budget, swashbuckling, comedic version (ala’ Robin Hood Men in Tights style) of this book has not been made – that plot and characters are perfect for such a venture.
on 17 April 2012
The process of finding and then loading these e-books on to your Kindle is made easy by Amazon in addition it gives you access to some of the best classics such as the three musketeers. ideal reading for tose of us who are of a certain age as well for those yet to discover the joys of reading the story as opposed to just watching various versions of the film
on 4 November 2014
This is an old classic, and I've read it before, many years ago, in Norwegian, but I didn't remember that much. The language is a bit oldfashioned, but you get used to it. I guess in some ways it's an adventure book for boys, but I like history andperiod costumes, and I don't know much about France in the 1600s, so I found it interesting in that way. It's a bit stereotyped, e.g. one woman is unbelievably evil, the others are all pure and innocent and have to be rescued. The Musketters, the heroes of the story, can always get out of every quandary, even if they may get wounded in the process. I was not impressed with their morals, but according to the author those were the morals of that time. Still, an entertaining read.
on 29 August 2015
Widely imitated, but never bettered. Upon closer inspection, The Three Musketeers should not stand up to any critical scrutiny. Pulpish (before the term was invented) overly sentimental, and probably not even written by Dumas ( he was notorious for employing others to write his books, after he had outlined the story) and yet...

The Three Musketeers is one of my favourite books and will stand the test of time, long after I've shuffled off this mortal coil.

Packed with swashbuckling adventure, free of airs and graces, and an ensemble of memorable characters, coupled with an unshakeable romanticism, this is as good as it gets for historical fiction and adventure books in general
VINE VOICEon 16 December 2012
To anyone skipping through these reviews I would say 'Go on, give it a go!'. You may think you know the story from Sunday evening tele or a blockbuster film (depending on your age) but there is so much more in the book to enjoy.

It is also free and, personally, I had no problems with the kindle version. In fact, it was quite handy to use the Notes tools and also avoid forearm cramp.

This is a very easy read from a great story-teller. You can't help feeling that Dumas enjoyed writing this, often with tongue firmly in cheek. Of course it is long, but it sped by. There's more humour than you may expect and 'Milady' is a memorable villainess.