5.0 out of 5 stars masterpiece of adventure/literature
Published on 23 Dec 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Errors
Having read The Three Musketeers several times over the years, I wished to read the 'e' version by way of a test. It has been my first Kindle-book.

Published on 3 Jun 2011 by Les

3.0 out of 5 stars Errors, 3 Jun 2011
This review is from: The Three Musketeers (Kindle Edition)

I have been very disappointed to find so very many errors of spelling, and translation. it's as though someone has very rapidly transposed the novel from page to computer, with no proof-reading afterwards. A great shame to spoil so wonderful a book.

5.0 out of 5 stars masterpiece of adventure/literature, 23 Dec 1999
By A Customer
An unusual book that reflects Dumas's views of both honour and chivalry as well as his interest in esoteric societies. Woven into the adventure romp are countless referernces to the philosophical dilemas that confront man's existence and most of all regarding his relationship with fellow man. It is hard not to identify with the politically incorrect charcters of the four heroes and even the villains lack any real malice.
By far and away the best aspect (for me) is the astoundingly uplifting quality of the narrative. Comparable to three pints of Youngs on an empty stomach after half a chapter you will feel that all is right with the world and after the battle scenes you may feel it necessary to re-enact the sword play with an old golf club.
Far outshines the authors other work and will provide you with many hours priceless entertainment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seen the movies?, 2 Jun 2003
My first introduction to 'the three musketeers' was during my childhood when I used to avidly watch 'dogtanian and the three muskehounds' - you may well laugh, but years later my fond memories of this cartoon impelled me to read the book. Yes the book is much better than any cartoon or film version, but when you read it you realise why. Basically, the characters are initially introduced in a rather sketchy manner - you only 'get to know' the characters as you read through the book. It is therefore understandable that this is difficult to portray in a film - hence reading the book is a must, it is a classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Always Popular, 29 April 2011
M. Dowden (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Three Musketeers (Kindle Edition)
I think everyone must know the story of D'Artagnan, how he wants to join the King's Musketeers, and makes friends with Athos, Porthos and Aramis who are already musketeers. Fighting against the intrigues of the cardinal, Richelieu, they also come up against Milady, as they carry out a secret mission for the Queen.

Over the years this has appeared in many editions, and many media formats, and I expect that like myself most people read it when they were still quite young. But this is a tale that is always worth reading for any age. It has romance, intrigue and loads of adventure, and is most definitely fast paced. So if you have never read this before, or are thinking about re-reading it again, then download this copy to your kindle and escape to a different world.

4.0 out of 5 stars Still holds its own, 5 Nov 2011
This review is from: The Three Musketeers (Kindle Edition)
Having some of the classics free for e-books has allowed me to delve into some of these older books,that otherwise I might not have read at all. I read a similar version when I was a lot younger and like most people have enjoyed the various films about the musketeers, and perish the thought that I should forget Dogtanian and the three muskehounds(showing my age here).

I thoroughly enjoyed this book it has some great characters who are covered in great depth so that you feel you know them.The interactions between them, both heroes and villains,are both realistic and varied.
The story itself is well known and has a good pace with sub-plots for all the characters interlacing the main plot. I was quite surprised how long the book was, some of the other classics I have read would not even be half the size of this book, but it was still never boring or slow.
I must mention that although there are the four main heroes of the book, the lackeys/servants of the musketeers play an important part in keeping the book interesting,the mention of d'artagnan's planchet always make me think of Roy kinnear who played a very good planchet in one of the films of the three musketeers, who sadly died while making the last film. The memory of his long suffering but loyal planchet made it easier to relate to the poor lackeys who shine in the story but never get the glory.

An excellent read especially not to be missed while it is free or cheap, I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good book.

Hope this helps

4.0 out of 5 stars Epic, 29 Jun 2009
I'd always wanted to read this book, having seen numerous films. However, all of those paled compared to this wonderful historical novel. I'm not one for lengthy descriptions normally, but the narratvie had the perfect mix of description and dialogue. I read it over three weeks, (when I should have been revising for my incredibly important, life changing exams oops) and felt that the chararcters were all well crafted and didn't always seem to fit the allegorical roles, with even the antagonists having their moments and the protagonists having their failings.
Overall, this is truly an epic and I enjoyed the history, and although not always accurate I felt it was still plausible enough to class as historical fiction.

5.0 out of 5 stars What an Adventure - READ, 10 Dec 2013
Stephen Salt "saltski" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Three Musketeers (Kindle Edition)
I don't usually read this type of literature, going mainly for sci-fi or fantasy novels though I suppose this could fall under fantasy. I was recomended this by my wife to read and read I did! I had a copy of this book in hardback, a very old copy that came from a second-hand book shop for about 50p and it was amazing to read. It is such a swashbuckling adventure I literally could not put it down, I feel so sorry for everyone who had to read this as a serial when it was first published, I wouldn't be able to wait for the next installment.

I got the kindle version to read it again, and it was just as good the second time around, even though it wasn't in the real old book that I had, at least it is less wear and tear on that to make it last into another generation. Given that this is FREE on kindle there is absolutely no excuse not to read a true classic of literature.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book recommded for all ages, 19 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Three Musketeers (Kindle Edition)
What a good book, great translation, wonderful use of language and vocabulary.

There are a couple of transcription errors, however, these do not detract from the reading.

The story develops quite slowly and builds on the personalities throughout, it subtly introduces and discusses a number of religious and moral thoughts and philosophies.

The story has all you would expect; adventure, romance, intrigue, heroism, stupidity, violence, duplicity and not forgetting swashbuckling.

The only disappointing aspect is that in the latter part of the book the antics of `Milady' come across as too outlandish.

I thought this book was aimed at the youth - not so - I would recommend this book to all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great adventure, 10 Mar 2012
This review is from: The Three Musketeers (Kindle Edition)
This has long been on my list of must-read books. I wasn't disappointed, and it held my attention with its great characterization and narrative drive. I do wish I'd read it in my teens, though!

5.0 out of 5 stars "Will the translation be ok?", 27 Mar 2013
With a timeless classic like this, there is no doubt that the storyline will be great, but with it being a foreign classic, translations are always an issue. Sometimes they don't read well, sometimes they stray too far from the point that the author was trying to convey. This Wordsworth edition has it spot on!
A definite must-read!