on 18 December 2012
A book by Conan Doyle that I had not read before. A great little read and different from the Shelock Holmes novels, recommended
on 19 October 2013
Not so much a story as a critique on other writers' work and thus misrepresented in the description. Very tedious.
on 6 January 2012
I have to admit, although Through the Magic Door is a mere 92 pages in this version, I gave up.

It started with great promise with some truly wonderful prose, then sank page by page into plodding sameness. It's a 92 page book review. It conveys the joy and the benefit of reading, yes, but it delves into the lives of the authors whose books adorn his shelves and I found it became a chore to read.

It's a great concept. The Magic Door is a book, any book. Books can transport you anywhere and teach you anything. That's why we're on amazon reading book reviews, is it not? I wanted more of the mystic approach from the beginning and less of the multiple mini biographies.

Not my cup of tea and I'm gutted about that. I really wanted to enjoy the whole thing after a stunning opener. Oh well.
on 24 August 2015
Some of the best classic fiction.
on 1 April 2016