5.0 out of 5 stars Utterley compelling read!
Published on 29 Mar 2011 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Was it written by a 15 year boy?
To make things clear from the start, I only read 8% of this book and that was enough. Some of you may want to not bother reading the rest of my review as I am perfectly aware that I probably don't have the right to say anything on this book.

The book is unnecessarily VERY violent, lots of people being killed in horribly descriptive ways - why do that...
Published 9 months ago by R. Stevenson

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterley compelling read!, 29 Mar 2011
This book draws you in from the first page with the opening setting the tone for what is to come. The pace of the story is fast, the content exciting and I felt utterly compelled to keep reading. Having said that there is time to engage with the characters and I found myself being attracted, repulsed and amused in equal measure to the different personalities contained within the story.

The first part of the book sets the scene for what is to come with the plot continually building in tension and intrigue as the story unravels. There is all of the futuristic other worldliness that any good sci-fi read should contain but for me integral to what made this story so enjoyable are the characters. They had depth and I found that I cared what happened to them either for good or ill.

A word of warning however - if you are a bed time reader (as I am) you may well find yourself getting less sleep than you need (as I did) as it is very difficult to put down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome book! A must-read!, 30 Mar 2011
One of the best books I've read. It had me gripped from the first page, and unable to put it down I read it in 3 days! I felt sick in places, elated in others.

All in all, this is a hard-hitting, fast-paced, exciting book. I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone, whether you're in to sci-fi, fantasy or even just a dramatic read.

Five Stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant science fiction thriller, 30 Mar 2011
This is a brilliant science fiction thriller. If you got this far then just buy it, you'll be glad you did.

It begins explosively with Havoc's 'crime' then the pace slows before building all the way to the end, which is fantastic - memorable and uplifting. It's hard to talk about the story without giving too much away but I can't believe the journey this book takes you on. The story is tautly written and brilliantly plotted, twisting and turning with surprises all the way.

The ending feels right and complete even though in some ways its quite open. The book is listed as a series which is a bit surprising as it easily stands on its own, but still I can't wait for the sequel. Hope its as good!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is brilliant..., 30 Mar 2011
This book is brilliant...

A lightning paced, hard-hitting, action packed, Sci-Fi thriller, with all the suspense of a thunder storm... It has it all, hope, betrayal, murder, revenge, lust, love, heroism and sacrifice...

The darkest and brightest pages challenge and reward on an epic scale...

Incredibly imagined and exquisitely rendered scenes engulf your senses, pulling you closer to the characters and immersing you in the action... The characters are believable and engaging, the action is explosive...

I can't wait for the next instalment...

Havoc is one hell of a hero!

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic no-holds-barred sci-fi thriller, highly recommended!, 25 Mar 2011
T. Benjamin (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Right from the cleverly-constructed opening scenes, this book grabs you and doesn't let go until, 600-odd action-packed pages later, you reach the only disappointment of the whole story: you're left wanting even more.

Essentially a tale of betrayal and - as you can guess from the title - subsequent redemption, "Redemption Protocol" is an action / thriller sci-fi epic. It's epic in scale and effect rather than in aeons of time - you can easily imagine this book being made into an all-guns-blazing Hollywood special effects extravaganza, with a grim-faced ass-kicking (anti)hero and at least 3 glamorously ass-kicking lady co-stars. I found the book to have everything you'd expect from the genre - a riveting story, a main character you want to see win against insurmountable odds, villains you want to see meet a grisly end, sexy (and not cringey) encounters, violent "make your eyes water" fight scenes, space on a grand scale, and cool alien technology.

"Redemption Protocol" may be "sci-fi" but it doesn't get bogged down in sciencey techno-babble, though you feel reassured that the author has done his homework and it doesn't feel (too) implausible for a futuristic thriller. I thoroughly enjoyed the read, and as I said at the beginning, my only disappointment was to be left at the end wanting more, more, more! - Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic Read, 1 April 2011
All I can say is that it had me hooked from the first line. The story follows Havoc's betrayal and the subsequent perilous contact mission, drawing you inevitably towards its gripping conclusion. Danger lurks everywhere and no-one can be trusted. Its suspenseful, scary and thrilling.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gripping Read, 30 Mar 2011
If you want an exciting and cleverly written book then this is for you. The start is gripping (and horrifying) and once the first major incident happens on the Intrepid then the touchpaper is lit and I couldn't put it down.

Its not for the faint hearted - some of the scenes are quite shocking and the writer doesn't shy away from anything, no matter how good or bad - you better believe anything can happen to these characters because it does! You would never guess in a million years where this story will go from the beginning to the end.

The characters made the book for me. I really liked Havoc and Weaver. They feel real even in their unreal situation and their choices and reactions are human as well as heroic. I don't think I'm giving a lot away to say I HATED Ekker :o) I like that the female characters can be strong in their own way without needing to out-macho the men.

Highly recommended. More please!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 19 April 2011
Really liked the subject, the concept, the style. Really enjoyed the book, exactly what I like to read. If you like Banks and Hamilton (and anything in between), you'll love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A page turner!, 8 April 2011
I don't really read sci-fi normally but a friend raved about this after he read it so I thought why not?

Good decision! It's exciting and it doesn't pull any punches - the shuttle sabotage was awful and I was screaming at the Princes while Stephanie was helping Novosa. Literally screaming! The world is believable, gritty and dark, and the characters are constantly reacting to the situation and trying to take the initiative - they aren't sitting around going ok, lets have loads of exposition about why this is the way it is, like I've read in other (boring!) sci-fi which is what put me off it. Also, the description is well written but not excessive and not much technobabble, another no no for me with sci-fi usually. I want to find more books like this one, the story and characters are really excellent.

As a fast reader, I love a long book and this one is really quite long. Well worth the read and excellent value.

1.0 out of 5 stars Was it written by a 15 year boy?, 15 Mar 2014
R. Stevenson (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Redemption Protocol (Contact Book 1) (Kindle Edition)

The book is unnecessarily VERY violent, lots of people being killed in horribly descriptive ways - why do that?

The romance is terribly done, the women come across as "very easy" - just like real life - NOT !!!!

It is quite difficult to follow, it flashes from one scene to the next and then back again to the original one and then to the other one and so forth...Also it goes 40 years back in time, then 20 years and then 5 years....I think. This is in relation to year zero (where the book begins) - I think? Why make it so very in sequential? Is the author trying to make the read a challenge?

Is the main character Havoc Human or Alien? He is described as 'devilish' in appearance in parts yet having normal arms, hands and legs in others. I am sure this would become clearer if I had read more than 8% of the book but the fact that I was confused with this so early on put me right off as well. As someone else has already pointed out in previous reviews Havoc isn't actually that likeable either. Once you've read 2% into the book, you will know what I mean.

The book reads like it was written by a school boy fantasising an alternative reality he would rather be in.

No doubt this scathing review will attract equally scathing comments...

Redemption Protocol (Contact Book 1)