4.0 out of 5 stars A feel-good teaser into striking out on your own...
I think this is a great book to fire the imagination of those wanting to get out of the rat-race and head off, captaining their own ship.
George tells you a little about himself, entrepreneurial beginnings and his increasingly successful forays into the internet marketing world.

There is a lot of introductory material regarding building affiliate websites,...
Published on 5 Jun 2012 by Emmster

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Feelings
First of all, I strongly agree with the comments that the first half of this book was incredibly hard-going to read. I don't think I've ever read a book that manages to labour on about one single point for almost 50% of its entire content.

If the author had condensed that into a chapter or two, which would have been perfectly reasonable, it would have been an...
Published on 9 July 2012 by Andrew E

‹ Previous | 1 2 319 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not trust reviews - awful book, 2 Jan 2012
Awful, waste of money. This book basically says that everyone should set up lots of websites with affiliate links in them, to earn commission selling goods without having to hold stock. No doubt the reviews on here are from some of these affiliate people. What the book fails to mention is Quidco and Topcashback, these days anyone switched on knows that as a customer they can earn the commission themselves by using one of these websites. The reality is that the market preached about in the book is dying a death, and the only way to make money out of it is to write a book telling people how to make money out of it. Do not believe anything in this book - do the opposite and go for Plan A - study hard, get a good job with good wage, and earn a salary every month without having to create a website earning 50p commission on every 'sea monkeys' set you sell. Beware of Amazon reviews, this is getting like TripAdvisor, too many fake reviews.

1.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational stuff (BUT can you make money at it - NO!!!), 20 Feb 2012
This review is from: Get Out While You Can - Escape The Rat Race (Kindle Edition)
Where to start? For one, a very inspirational book. The author tells it exactly how it is - if we work for someone else we will always be a wage slave (a fact that nobody can argue with). So what do we do about it? Sit & moan day after day about how we hate our job, hate the money we get for the job we hate or get off our backsides & do something about it?

Downside - I am very sceptical about this kind of book. Why on earth would anybody who knows how to make money on the internet (or anywhere else) go & tell as many people as they can how to take a significant slice of that money? This is the only reason I give this book (or any book of this type) a 4 instead of a 5. I am also still to see a review of anybody who has made any kind of money after reading this book. I've just published my first website so I'll comeback & let anybody who is interested know if I make anything.

Upside - It's inspired me to write my first website. No other book has EVER made me do that. I have plans for at least 4 or 5 more but will decide as time goes by to how much effort I put in (for obvious reasons). This book made me do that, nothing else but the inspiration I gained.

For the handful of 1 & 2 star reviews - what did you expect? A point by point guide on exactly what you have to do & follow these instructions and the money will come pouring in? Get real! All any book of this type can do is inspire you to do it & give the basic ideas/concepts on how to do it. Yes, there were times when I wished the author had 'explained that in a little more detail' or 'hadn't ranted on about that so much' but in all honesty what were you expecting?

As I said, these types of books will always have me wondering why people want you to get some of the money they can have themselves but this really is the best I've read to date & "I'm giving it a go".
If it works out then great & if not I'll be absolutely gutted that it looks like I'll be a wage slave for the rest of my times.

**UPDATE** As I said, I would update for anybody who is interested. Two months after launching my first website I have made 3.48! Very early days & I'm only on page 3 of google for my keyword search BUT is anybody making money at this? I'd love to hear people's experiences & what you have achieved after 12 months or so of giving this a go.

**NOVEMBER 2012 UPDATE** Again, for anybody who is interested I'm now into my 9th month since starting my new venture & it's still going very slowly (in terms of making any money).
I have 5 websites, all very niche, all with good domain names & all with regular unique content added. Can anybody who has read this book please share if you are making money as a result? I've now downgraded my rating from 4 to 3 stars as I just can't see how following the advice can make you anything other than 'pocket money'. I know is says it can take a couple of years to really start earning any kind of decent money but I've yet to read where anybody is which really does lead me to believe that the one star reviews are more accurate than the 5 star reviews.

**May 2013 UPDATE** I am still to read ANY review of this book where people have actually made money. I no longer believe that it is possible to make much money at this. Google AdSense is now on its knees and affiliated marketing is so heavily punished by Google that it is almost impossible to make page 1 of the rankings.
As I've said before, it's a very good book to get you motivated BUT the reality is there is no serious money to be made at this. Also very interesting that the follow up book was due out in March 2012 and is nowhere to be seen and the author's website hasn't been updated this year!
On the flipside, one of my websites is now getting 25000 hits a month & I'm about to monetise it BUT with ecommerce and not any of the methods from the book. I've tried everything it describes and I'm making about 10 a month. For a page 1 Google site attracting 25000 hits amonth that should be making me 1000's according to the author.

**April 2014 UPDATE** Well that's it for me. 26 months after launching my first website I've now closed the last one. I've made approx 100 for all my efforts (and believe me, one hell of an effort). NOBODY has come back and said they've made money at this & the promised follow up book by the author NEVER happened. His website has also not been updated for months and months. This is a scam and one I'm guessing has made the author a small fortune. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME WITH THIS

5.0 out of 5 stars There might be another way..., 27 Aug 2011
I ummed and ah'ed for a fair while before committing and buying the kindle version of this book. I hesitate at buying something when in all likelihood most of what is contained in this book is freely available on the net. However, it's hard to know whether the stuff on the web is credible or not and I did wonder whether this was another..you can make millions by writing a book a like this and selling it to other suckers who want to make millions...

But, it's more than that.

Plan A is to sell your time (far too cheaply) by the hour to pay the mortgage - you get paid once for that work and once the time has gone it's gone forever.

Plan B - find a way to produce / build / create something that generates a little bit of income, over and over again. Something that doesn't require you to be selling your time.

This book shows you how to get started, even if you don't really know anything about affiliate marketing or selling on ebay or how to build a website. You'll need to do some more reading, and some of the technical aspects are a bit light, but it'll get you on the way - it might just be the kick up the arse that you need. And the best of way of learning is by doing - and that starts with a small step, a small experiment and a small investment of time.

So, 2 months later I have 2 sites up. One not making any money (it needs some more work). The other has earned enough in it's second month to pay for it's initial set up costs - and I've learnt a fair bit along the way. I'm not a millionaire yet, but my eyes have been opened and I've started...

So I wish you the best of luck with your own Plan B. Step 1 - buy a copy of this book :)

1.0 out of 5 stars Amateur in both appearance and content., 9 Nov 2011
This is one of the most amateur attempts at a self-improvement book I have ever encountered. I read a book a week, and have done for a few years, so that is saying something.

The cover of the book is cringe-worthingly bad, but you know the old saying, so I opened it up and started reading. I'm not knocking George Marshall, I'm sure he's a great guy - but I don't think he is cut out to be a writer, his writing style is patronising, repetitive and lacks any sort of substance. I found myself 80 pages in, and all that had really been said was - 'don't work for a salary' - which I kinda already knew.

Do yourself a favour and buy the three books that this book tries to condense into one rubbish one.

For a financial eduaction - buy Rich Dad, Poor Dad
For concepts on not working, and starting your own business - buy The 4-Hour Work Week: Escape the 9-5, Live Anywhere and Join the New Rich
For SEO and web design - buy Outsmarting Google: SEO Secrets to Winning New Business (Que Biz-Tech)

Those three books will teach you everything in this book AND a million other things, and are far more enjoyable to read. They are probably three of the most influential books I've read.

Again, not trying to be harsh, just constructive.

5.0 out of 5 stars At last-a straight talking british author, 4 Mar 2013
Mr. M. Sells "iwhobbit" (Isle of Wight, UK) - See all my reviews
George talks about the traps of expecting a comfortable life as a wage slave. This makes you like a business with only one customer, who will then do what he likes with you. He extols the benefits of becoming an online information publisher, a business with low entry costs and cheap to get started. He does not pretend to offer all the answers, but he at least gets you thinking about how important it will be for youself and family to set your own destiny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book !, 1 Mar 2013
I really enjoyed the book. I have decided to get out of this rat race. This book has given me the information, motivation and a belief that i can do it. Loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best none fiction book I have read in donkeys years., 15 Nov 2011
After 20 years plus in computing at last something of interest.

Thanks for showing me a potential way to try and make our dreams a reality.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good Starter for 10, 2 Nov 2011
I stumbled across this book and bought it to read on my kindle, but having read the book I wish I had purchased the paperback version as there is lots of information where it is good to flick quickly between pages. Plenty of information and lots of pointers, ideas and suggestions to get you started on your way in making money through the internet, all of which are easy to understand.

Although there is plenty of detail in the book, it doesn't "spoon feed" you and there is still effort required on your part to start making good use of the information. Plenty of links are provided to help and the offer to email the author - which I did and by way of thanks for his reply, I am writing this review. Would definitely recommend buying.

2.0 out of 5 stars Keep your money while you can!, 26 Feb 2012
The author tries to give the impression that making big money online is as easy as setting up a website, adding some content and affiliate links, and then basically sitting back while the site makes you money. If only it was that easy!

2 stars because he at least gives an introduction to affiliate marketing - this can make you money if you are willing to put in the time and effort to drive lots of traffic to your site. But other than that, there's not much in the book worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars A world of possibilities, 24 Jan 2011
I read, "Get out While You Can" on the recommendation of a friend and I didn't really know what to expect from the book.

What a pleasant surprise!

I read the book from cover to cover and wanted more. Having spent 30 years in the record business I've lost count of the number of conversations I've had with people who are wondering what to do now the record business, as they know is disappearing. I've got friends who are in their 40's and 50's who have spent their lives selling computers, houses, marketing, building, selling cars, you name it, and many of them are struggling to understand where they fit in to the "Knowledge" world of business as the old business models crumble.

Equally I know plenty of teenage kids who are wondering the same thing?

George takes the reader into a world of possibilities. He gives a blow-by-blow account of how he has moved out of the old economy and into the new and all from the comfort of his own home. Advice is dished out as if you were having a conversation with him in a pub, which makes for easy and entertaining reading.

"Get Out While You Can" is a breath of fresh air for anyone interested on getting out of the 9-5 routine or just starting to earn a living and wondering if this is as good as it gets.

With 440 pages it's a long read but every page is worth sticking with. I thoroughly recommend it. Well done George.

‹ Previous | 1 2 319 | Next ›