5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic piece of kit!
When I got this from the Amazon Vine programme I looked at the price and thought there was no way I'd pay full price for the dock! I'd not come across Altec before, and having had problems with electronics from unfamiliar brands before I set my expectations quite low.

Published on 14 Feb. 2012 by D. Pearce

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Published 18 months ago

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic piece of kit!, 14 Feb. 2012
D. Pearce "djarmhp" (rainham, kent) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Altec Lansing inMotion Classic III Portable Dock for iPods/iPhones with 30 pin dock connector - Black/Silver (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

The truth is that even if I had set my expectations as high as I could this dock would have surpassed them even at the price. It is quite simply the best dock I have ever heard. The way it picks up every single element of the sound from the lowest Bass note up is unbelievably good. Whatever you play on this from Metal to Classical, and all points in between on the musical spectrum, will be crystal clear and reproduced in a way that makes the humblest MP3 or iPod sound like the best midi system. Another advantage is that through the connection at the back you can plug in any MP3, not just an iPod.

The most minor of moans that I have is that the remote is a little hit and miss when it comes to raising and lowering the volume, but once you get used to that its not really a problem.

Would I have paid full price for this? On reflection, absolutely and I can give no higher praise than that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Speaker Dock But Not The Most Portable, 19 Jan. 2012
C. Green "happily low brow" (Quenington, Glos, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Anyone who's ever owned an Altec Lansing iPod speaker dock will know that they make good quality product. The inMotion Classic III is the third Altec Lansing dock I've owned, after the original inMotion nearly a decade ago and more recently the Altec Lansing T612 - High End Speaker For iPhone/iPod - Black, which is still in use as the main stereo in our home. Both were/are excellent products and the inMotion Classic III continues that trend.

Sound quality-wise I can't really fault it. Considering its size and intended purpose it provides clear playback. If you're an audio snob who wants to hear every note of a performance then maybe you'll be disappointed, but if you were I doubt you'd you be listening to an iPod in the first place. If all you want to do is fill a room or space with sound then the inMotion Classic III will happily do that for you.

Looks wise its also pretty good, if hardly striking. For the most part matt black and with a long but relatively shallow profile it seems intended to blend into the background rather than be a stand-out piece of cutting edge design. It functional rather than flash.

This is best epitomised by two nice little design features; the pop out dock and the magnetic cubby-hole for the remote-control. The former has two advantages. Firstly it prevents you from accidentally damaging the iPod connector when the dock is in transit and secondly it means that you don't get a build up of dust and dirt around the dock when its not in use (something all my various iPod docks have been prone to). The remote control storage is even better however, as it improves the portability of the entire device.

The same can be said of the inclusion of a built-in rechargeable lithium battery in the Dock. This is probably the unit's most user friendly feature, as it allows you to simply unplug the unit from its power cable and carry it to wherever you want without worrying about whether you have the correct batteries for it. The one thing I can't say is how long the battery lasts after a full charge because I haven't had the unit long enough to run it down, but if its anything like a typical mobile phone battery it should allow for several hours of playback.

If there is a downside to the unit (beyond its somewhat pedestrian appearance) its one of size and weight. Prior to getting hold of the inMotion Classic III the portable dock I used when travelling was the JBL On Stage Micro Black Mac/Win. Whilst that unit lacks the built-in battery, remote control cubby-hole or retractable dock it is lighter and smaller than the Altec Lansing, which is important when you want to stash it in your luggage. The Altec Lansing has features that make more suitable for carrying around with you, but its size and weight definitely count against it and reduce it from five to four stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 30 Sept. 2013
The sound is fabulous, but the connection for the iPod is a problem. I always have to insert eh iPod twice before it connects and plays. I'm disappointed with the battery power of the Altec Lansing. Not more than a few hours playing, and once you've charged it, it decharges itself even if you don't use it within three days. But if you leave it charging while you play, there is interference with the sound. Can't compare it to other portable iPod docks but I'm not sure now whether I should have bought this at all.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good - but do compare similar models, 1 Jan. 2012
Mr. Guy Mcevoy "Geek In Denial" (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have this and I also have the Altec Lansing IMT320. I'm a fan of sound-docks with no bells and whistles, I can't understand why you would spend extra on one with a built in DAB radio or alarm clock or whatever when your ipod can do those jobs just fine. So both units fit that bill. I have it on my desk and being in the habit of using it and the ipad radio ap (I use TuneIn)means my phone is always charged and its been a long while since I was caught short without juice or had to consciously think about charging my phone.

Anyway - the positives of this unit are:

- It looks good. It has decent build quality, and doesn't have the 'cheap' look that some other sound docks have.
- Sound and size. It can fill a room for everyday listening (you wouldn't want to host a party with it though) and is small enough and portable enough to take away on holiday. It also has a remote control, though this feels a bit superfluous to me.

However, insofar as I have niggles they come when comparing it to my Altec Lansing IMT320. Now my 320 is no way as pretty as this inMotion Classic and doesn't have a remote, but at the end of the day it is between a half and two thirds of the price. My 320 is more portable (better protected) and the sound is every bit as good at everyday volumes. So whilst I am happy with this unit if I was on a budget and could only have one I would go with the 320 as I couldn't really jusify the price premium on the inMotion Classic III for the difference you get.

5.0 out of 5 stars great sound. Ok battery life, 16 Oct. 2012
Happy and Smiling "I love books and audio boo... (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Good sound. Good portability. The only thing that would make these speakers even better would be to have built in FM radio, like the previous model did. The docking station is also slightly tight if you have a skin on your itouch, but it is possible to squeeze it on there without removing the protective cover.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for a sound rookie, 24 Jun. 2014
I was looking for a basic, portable, reasonably priced dock and this one satisfies all those requirements.

Sound quality: I'm no sound engineer, so I'm not sure how good my ear is, but I have owned Bose speakers in the past and these (at a reasonable volume level) are completely comparable (and the price makes the sound a little sweeter, methinks). I haven't pumped up the volume as so far I have only really used them in my bedroom, but the projection is perfect for a 5m x 4m space.

Portability: I love the fact that the support at the back folds up and the dock itself fits into a recess in the speaker, making it a seamless, packable item. Very easy to position around the house.

Additions: An aux cable outlet is the only additional feature I sought out. I hook up my laptop to speaker to improve the sound when watching videos. Works perfectly. You just have to purchase a relatively good quality aux cable (i.e. go for teh £6 option instead of the £1 option).

Battery life: As yet I have not used it to depletion, so I'm not sure about the actual battery life.

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid this seller., 25 Aug. 2013
My main problem with this is not the fact that it did not work properly ( it would not play either of our ipods ) as I know that a small percentage of all items are going to be faulty.

My problem with this is the seller, Desire IT. When I informed the seller about the problem, the only response was " It will only work with the devices listed on the box ". When you bear in mind the fact that the box says it WILL work with ipods, you will understand my frustration and annoyance with the attitude of the seller.

He obviously could not even be bothered to read my message properly.

When I contacted him again, to explain the problem again, I did not even get a reply !!

Do yourself a favour - Buy this item from a seller who actually is interested in selling you something that works and who will actually help you if there is a problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars wow., 10 Aug. 2013
Quality piece of kit. Sound quality great. Built in batteries for portable use also on the spot.. Great piece of kit to take on holidays.

RHYS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the Price!, 17 Mar. 2014
I got these for a christmas gift for my 18 year old daughter.

She loves them she says she is very suprised at how good the bass and sound is for the price.
The battery lasts for a long time, which was one of her main requests.

The delivery was fast quick and so over all it was a sucessful buy.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not sure what is up, 2 Nov. 2013
M. Lunn - See all my reviews
I don't quite know why, because it was a great product while it was working, but it has just stopped working about two months after we bought it. No idea why.