IN ALL PROBABILITY - By Steve Morris

This book is a collection of short stories by Steve Morris. In his opening statement he makes it quite clear that these tales are all about normal people, like you and me, who are thrust into less than normal situations. "The World does not revolve around heroes" he says " It revolves around normal people."

As a...
Published on 5 Jun. 2009 by Mr. J. Lunn

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing!
I`m a fan of short stories and was intregued by the good reviews for this collection... but i have been very disapointed with this purchase.

The `irony` is weak and obvious in each of them and barely constitutes a plot twist. The characters are bland and uninteresting, even for the `normal` people this is supposed to be based around and the writing is...
Published on 5 April 2013 by L. N. Carter

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant collection of short stroies - Perfect for commuters, 5 Jun. 2009
Mr. J. Lunn "Crazy Jay" (Berkshire - UK) - See all my reviews
IN ALL PROBABILITY - By Steve Morris

As a regular commuter and avid reader, this collection is perfect for me. By reading short stories on the journeys to and from work I get the satisfaction of reading the whole tale and not be left waiting for the rest of the day to pick up the story part way through a chapter as so often happens.

Steves style of writing puts the reader at ease, as I am sure everybody will be able to relate to most of the characters, and the circumstances they are faced with. Apart from the first story, I found that I could identify either myself or somebody I know with all the following tales. Each time thinking, "this one could be about me or my lifestyle" Only to find the next one was even closer. I will not go into specific detail about each story, and you will understand why when you know the basic premise of them, I will however say that anybody who remembers the Old TV series "Roald Dahls - Tales Of The Unexpected", and the accompanying books will not be disappointed.

I have not yet finished reading the book, so cannot propose a personal favorite, although so far , `All Around Us' appeals due to my interest in photography, and I find myself identifying with the feelings of the character in `My Tune' the most.

I would whole heartedly recommend this book to anybody who enjoys reading. Especially if like me you often find yourself with limited reading time. You may see reviews that suggest that all of the stories have an unfortunate or unhappy ending for the central character, and in some instances this is true, but certainly not in all. All you can expect, is the unexpected.

5.0 out of 5 stars Morris has enlightened me in the art of the short story, 24 April 2011
In All Probability is full of many short stories with twists and turns which are suprising and very ironic, but not always in the way you think it may be.

'Dead Eye' was the first of the stories and turned out to be one of my favourites! The story is very detailed for a story only lasting for 5 pages, Morris's ideas are all alike yet different in thier own way and I never could have guessed the ending myself. I found that I could relate to the story and it is believeable as many things happen in todays world which are quite similar.

'All Around Us' was my favourit in the book. I was curious why they kept mentioning Mogridge and couldn't quite find the connection. I cannot imagine what I would do in the position which Mike and Janine are going through, I think their decision was sensible and shows that some people like Mogridge take advantage of things like that.

'The Brand New Colour' is a bit creepy, I am still wondering who those people must be whom he played rounders with. It gives me the chills.

Overall there are lots of great stories in the book, only being a couple which I didn't like. I loved the front cover and the Biographical notes, as I am always intruged about what the authors are like when they write a certain genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars In all probability, 18 May 2009
I am not usually a short stories person however, I picked this up in a waiting room and just had to purchase after reading "dead eye" & "lightning strikes twice"
This collection enthralled me and I identified with some of the situations presented and marvelled at others, I like the way the author's mind works...
A far cry from the butterflies and rainbow endings in some short stories... .this is life and I loved it! Well done Mr Morris! NEXT PLEASE!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars What's the probability of...?, 17 Dec. 2010
In the style of the great Alanis Morissette song `Ironic', Steve Morris's book of short stories gives us a real mixed bag of the weird and wonderful stuff life can dish up. These tales all go to show that life can readily kick you in the proverbials when you least expect it, and not always in the way you might think in a given scenario.

The thing I found appealing as I read through the book was that the stories are all things you can certainly relate to in some way or another and I personally found myself feeling a range of things like sympathy to 'serves you right' for the various characters in his stories. These tales were ideal for my commute too and I actually read the book in a day on my train journey from Suffolk to London - half on the outward journey and half on the return journey, it certainly made the time pass by nicely. So, I guess if you're looking for a relatively shorter read this could be just the ticket.

My personal favourites in this collection had to be `Dead Eye' and `The Lay-off' given my ex-military background and my interest in league football. Both of these stories were the ones that I could relate to the most. These really do show that life can be `that death row pardon two minutes two late'. Others like `Swansong' balanced an almost `Marley and Me' type atmosphere at the reader. This was one where the author's connection with man's best friend comes in to play I guess, given his Bio. We all have different tastes and Morris certainly puts on a big spread here. It is probable (no pun intended) that most readers will come across a few things they like. Morris also experiments with some more futuristic topics which will certainly make you think. It's all part of life's rich tapestry I suppose.

I look forward to the next serving of Steve Morris's imagination in his 'Jumble Tales' collection, by all accounts a more refined and improved collection of the weirdness life can wreak on us mere mortals.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect If You Only Have A Few Minutes Spare, 8 Jun. 2010
Ms. J. Lee "Buggsy2008" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
In All Probability by Steve Morris is one of the best collections of short stories I have read in a while. Normally I stick to novels, but after reading this I am looking forward to reading his next book.

The book contains thirty short stories, each one more bizarre than the last. They start of seemingly normal, then gradually get more and more strange (in a good way!). I found myself trying to work out how each story would end, and sometimes I was right, others I was completely off the mark. Each story took around five minutes to read, which makes the book perfect if you are on a journey, or if you have a busy schedule and don't have the time to read for hours on end.

The ability to write a successful short story is an aquired skill. You need to fit an entire story into only a few words. It's not as easy as it seems, being a writer myself I know how difficult it can be at times to fit it all into so few words. Sometimes you make it work and sometimes you don't... well Steve made it work, not only once but thirty times over in this book. He's clearly a very talented writer, and has a unique style, these combined should make for a good writing career.

I would recommend this book to anyone who likes to read, whatever your normal reading tastes you will enjoy this book. I will definitely be in line to buy his next book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Stories, 23 Feb. 2015
This review is from: In all Probability: A collection of short stories (Kindle Edition)
There wasn't a story I didn't like in this book. Well written and good endings. I just loved, The Reminder, brilliant :) a great collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 Mar. 2015
It was fine! Amazon rejected my previous review where I expressed my delight at getting this book. How strange!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Summer Reading!, 29 Sept. 2010
I found this collection of short stories very engaging, I loved getting lost in one genre and then the next, Steve has a brilliant way of making the mundane interesting and even includes some paranormal short stories. I look forward to re-reading the stories on my train ride and recommend this book for all those vivacious readers out there!

Ami, author of The Hunted of 2060

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best short stories in the world!, 26 Feb. 2009
Ms. K. Hindley (Shrewsbury) - See all my reviews
In all probability.........one of the best collections of short stories I've ever read! Really likely characters and situations with which we can all draw parallels. A fantastic introduction to this talented author. When's the next volume Mr Morris?!

5.0 out of 5 stars About this book - In All Probability, 11 Feb. 2009
This book deliberately contains no heroes. The world does not revolve around heroes. It revolves around real people who sometimes find themselves in amazing situations. When we sympathise with the characters within these stories and with the ways that fate deals with them, we sympathise with ourselves. Some of the characters and events in these stories are based on real people and situations the author met along his way.
An assassin with a unique technique, an almost-was soccer star and a bitter long-forgotten one-hit-wonder pop star are just a few of the random characters who turn up within the stories in this book. Each are loveable in their own different ways and are doing their very best to dodge Lady Luck's sadistic target practice. Heroes they are not. And do they all live happily ever after? In all probability- probably not.