on 8 June 2012
I am an avid adventure gamer and a moderate fan of Pendulo Studios. I was disappointed by the last two episodes of Runaway, but the Next Big Thing is a truly delightful little game - promarily to watch then play.

Good stuff:

The graphic work is indeed very detailed, with smooth animation and high standards of voice-overs. The story is not as captivating as other games in the genre, but certainly has a degree of originality to keep you playing. The puzzles are for the most part logical and nicely intertwined into the plot. Some are a bit on the outrageous side, but then the whole story is somewhat outrageous! The main characters are charismatic and fairly funny - particularly Liz. The supporting cast is also charming and never fails to entertain (from Prof. "Halfpint" Fly's insect-like hand movement to the Poet of Pain, there's something to at least make one smirk).

Bad stuff:

The game is short - it took me about 7 hours to finish. The interface can be annoying: accessing your inventory soon turns into a cumbersome activity, with the same applying to other functions (such as hints, hotspots and settings). The Settings interface is also not well laid out - I hardly needed to save my game, but then again the interface gives the player little motivation to do so. At times the story gets thin: there's no direct connection between the things you do and why you do them. Again I will justify this because of the game's plot and the lead character's eccentric, 'dis-concerting' character.

Overall:

Try it if you are a Pendulo Studios fan, if you need a quick adventure fix and/or if you want to marvel at beautiful graphics and supremely detailed artwork. If you are looking for an in-depth adventure game that will have you stuck over a puzzle half an eternity, look somewhere else. Aya!!!
on 31 May 2011
This is a point and click adventure game from the same studio who developed the Runaway series so if you liked those, you will probably like this.

This isn't a review as such but some advice to anyone who has bought the game and finds that the screen goes black when they run the game even though music can be heard. Officially the game will only run on fairly new graphics boards. I have an older graphics board and have worked out a way to get the game to work on my computer.

First I set the graphics mode to 1280 by 1024 via the config program for The Next Big Thing (from Start - All Programs - Pendulo Studios - The Next Big Think menu on Windows XP).

When I tries running this, I got a black screen but noticed that there was a monitor message referring to 86 Hz for the Vertical frequency. As my modern monitor is incapable of that, the result was the black screen.

I then located the file which stores the graphics resolution config for this game. It is called ps.config and on Windows XP it is stored in Documents and Settings - All Users - Application Data - Pendulo Studios - TNBT folder.

I opened the file in Notepad and saw that RefreshRate was set at 86. I changed that to 60 and saved the file. And it now works.
44 comments|20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 May 2013
This is a more light hearted point and click - in the vein of the Broken Sword adventures, if you like. The characterisation is original and accent is placed on exagerrated stereotypical behaviour - but it is cleverly and humourously done and I certainly enjoyed the dialogue.

The settings are sumptiously detailed and look gorgeous. The puzzles are all fairly solvable, with nothing too obscure - but you can choose 3 levels of difficulty at the beginning. I chose medium. There is also an in game hint option, which I had to use twice.

I can't disagree with previous reviews - this game is certainly worth playing if you enjoy the genre, and it certainly isn't an expensive risk either.
on 26 September 2012
This is one of the the games I kept coming back to in order to see if I could progress a bit further. Most of the puzzles are not too hard (Although there is an appallingly difficult music puzzle approximately halfway through the game.)
I liked the humour in the game and good voice overs which led me into the Spirit of "The next Big Thing".
As been mentioned by other reviewers, the game is not as long as say "Broken Sword", but it does not suffer much for that.
Having solved all the puzzles, I was happy with the game conclusion, and for me it felt just about the right length.
For the paltry few quid they want for this game, I consider it a bit of a bargain.
on 12 June 2011
I enjoyed playing this game. The graphics were good and there is a fair amount of humour. Unfortunately the story line made little sense and some of the puzzles seemed to have no connection with what was going on. Having said that, Pendulo have produced an enjoyable game which is fun to play.
on 23 January 2013
I've grown up playing point and click adventures and this one defiantly ticks all the right boxes. Its sweet it's funny, a little short but it still tells a whole story. If you like this type of game you'll love The Next Big Thing. I did.
on 6 March 2015
This is a fantastic game sold at an amazing price. Provided hours of fun for me and my partner. Couldn't reccommend it more if you like point and click adventure games.
on 22 March 2013
This game is amazing value. Is not exactly among the greatest of games but has many hours of entertainment with interesting and unusual characters
on 22 December 2013
This is a great game. Superb voice acting, really good storyline, great everything really. It's not at all difficult to recommend it..so I do!
on 22 July 2014
Great pc game. Started playing on Space Quest games and this is a similar genre but so much better.