on 8 November 2010
I've been looking for an e-book reader that has mp3 potential and video playback for awhile so its one device instead of 3. I did look at the ipad but its just massive and the whole point for me is to reduce the weight of a book in my hand and the ipad is quite weighty. The galaxy tab is the first item I have seen with all three at a relatively nice handheld sort of size.

The wireless on this system works straight away and in the welcome stuff it helps you get straight onto the net so you can immediately take benefit of the uses of this tablet.

This is really quick to use, the applications load up fast and it has some lovely features to it. The sound coming out of the tab is pretty decent for video playback and mp3's but I reckon if your listening to mp3's through it your more likely to have headphones in. The video playback plays seamlessly, no motion blur or pausing whilst the device finds more of the file. I only watched a 20 minute episode but it handled it well and it looked very pretty through this hd screen.

There is one game on startup and it doesn't look that interesting but there is a samsung games app linking you straight to their games. The same goes for their videos/films.

The e-book reader included is kobo and the prices on the store are quite high compared to amazons kindle. You can get a kindle app so you can run your tab as if it was a kindle and I have found that to be the best e-book software to use. With the book prices being about the price of an actual paperback even if some of them aren't yet in paperback and the features available on it with the white writing on a black screen and the various text sizes its definitely the better option. Of course you could buy a kindle but your kindle wont allow you to listen to music and watch videos, use the gps through google maps, browse the net, give you the news updates you want and updating your facebook status with very little effort.

This is my first adventure into the android system and I have found the apps available through the android market upscale to the screen size of the tab for the most part very well, my only let down so far has been a live wallpaper that wasn't quite the size of the screen but it was free and thus not a big loss.

The only thing that worries me is the charger, not owning a samsung mobile device before I've not noticed how alike the charger is to the ipod and such. With it not being a standard usb style charger it means you can't get a new cable to charge it on the cheap you have to buy the official one at least at the moment and they average between £15-£20. Mind you the battery does last for days when on standby and can be up to 12 hours dependant on what you are doing at the time of use, obviously movie/mp3 playback eats away at the battery, but just browsing the net doesn't use as much.

Overall a great all in one device that I'm very happy to have taken the risk on.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 1 November 2011
I feel so guilty.

It was all that talk about the Kindle Fire. It got me all het up, and then let me down by saying that I couldn't have one here in the UK. I felt rejected.

So my thoughts turned to finding consolation elsewhere . . .

Galaxy Tab 7 Wifi plus 3G

Love it! And the full extent of my Kindle-infidelity is revealed further down.

Spent more money, of course; a new love needs to be pampered if the romance is to blossom and last.

Vierra G-STAND Black Case Cover with Adjustable Stand for new Samsung Galaxy Tab P1000 & FREE Screen Protector, Samsung 7 inch Tablet, ARM Cortex A8 1GHz / 16GB / 7" Touch Screen / Android 2.2 Froyo / Tablet

Excellent, good quality, effective in use.

Then I read a Graudian review where the cable got lost, so bought these too:

Samsung Galaxy Tab Car Charger Black, 5V, 2A (Detachable Type)

UltimateAddons Extra Long 3 Metre Sync, Data and Charge USB Cable for Samsung Galaxy Tab 7" GT-P1000, GT-P1010

And then I travel a lot, so I needed:

UltimateAddons Worldwide Dual USB Mains Charger for Samsung Galaxy Tab (GT-P1000), with 2 Metre USB Cable, Charges 2 Devices at same time, including other Tablets, i.e. Apple iPad

Over the top, I know, but when the heart rules the head . . .

And finally : Usb Adapter For Micro sd Card - Supports Up To 32gb Micro sd Card by Serena

SanDisk microSDHC 32GB Card

Our romance was now perfectly equipped to begin, and also to last, I hoped.

I can get wifi with no trouble - and downloaded a WiFi Finder Free App for when I am out and about. 3G - got a T-Mobile rolling 30-day Sim Card with 100 minutes and 300 texts plus unlimited internet for £10 per month. Unlimited with an asterisk saying that it isn't actually unlimited but subject to fair use, which means that you can browse and e-mail with no limits, but streaming video and downloading or uploading large files will come up against a ceiling.

Fair enough - you can do that at home on the WiFi.

BBC i-player and watching videos is superb. The only glitch was that the ear-phones provided were fiddly. You had to wiggle them in or out to hear, otherwise 1mm difference either made it blare out so everyone heard, or gave complete silence. Plus the wiggling, 9 times out of ten, stopped the playback.

Solved by using a cheapo pair of ear-phones given free on an AVE train in Spain to watch the film.

The other slight drawback, also solved, was that while on the internet, some sites where you were required to sign in (e.g. Which magazine), the browser wouldn't let you. There's Chrome for you! Tried a number of browsers from the App Store. Finally discovered that sign-in was possible with Opera Mini browser, although I prefer Dolphin HD for general browsing.

Being an Android novice, I am still learning. The context-sensitive menus, while perfectly logical, are an occasional source of frustration as where you end up in the menu depends on where you start from, so I sometimes cannot find something I had before me 2 minutes ago. Still learning, and getting better at it by the day.

I find it excellent for browsing the internet; responsive, pages well-formatted (thanks to Dolphin - some in the in-built Chrome browser weren't so good and I needed to zoom in and out). A great experience overall, highly recommended.

E-mail (Yahoo) was set up with no problem; my contacts came over straight away. I am not a Facebook or Twitterer, so cannot comment on those, but text messaging is fine.

The camera - with lens both back and front, for self-portraits, seems good too.

And now I reveal the full shame of my infidelity.

The first App I downloaded was, of course, the Kindle. Took a few seconds to register my device with Amazon, then I was able to download whatever I wanted from my Kindle Archive on Amazon. I was flabbergasted by the download speed - it took me longer to click on a book than to download it.

I was also able to download from my computer via the USB lead. It IS nice to see the book covers, rather than just a sterile list, and in colour too . . . an attractive way of selecting what to read. Pity Amazon can't do it like this on its Manage My Kindle page for our Kindle Archive library.

The Kindle reading experience is very good; you can GoTo, consult the dictionary, change the font size, and have the option of changing the page from white with black text to black with white text, or sepia with brown text; the latter seems kinder on the eyes. The "Does the Kindle have a backlight for reading in the dark" is solved here, of course, but Mr Bibliofila find it more distracting in a darkened bedroom than when I use the Kindle with lighted case. Haven't yet tested the Galaxy Tab outdoors in the sunlight for obvious reasons.

But . . .

The Galaxy Tab also has a built-in e-reader, which is e-pub. It gives you one book for free, and then you can log on to a bookshop to buy more. Haven't tested the purchase option, but downloaded from my computer some e-pub books (non DRM) left over from when I had the Sony e-reader.

Yes, I'm afraid that I'm a serial adulterer in the e-reader world . . . Sony to Kindle to Galaxy . . .

Here the page is sepia too, although paler, and there's an interesting page curl when you turn the page. I really liked that. No way of changing font size that I have discovered yet, but there is an in-built dictionary. Page numbers on bottom of screen. But the big thing is . . .

Well, I am not only fickle, I am also shallow. Easily impressed by external appearances. Fall in love with a pretty face.

What I really love about the e-book reader on the Galaxy is . . . the way it looks when you open it.

It shows you open shelves in an attractive wood finish, with the books displayed cover outward. Just like in your local Library where they have some special section. You can browse the covers on the shelves to select your book. It's cute, I love it, I am so shallow.

Now actually this is more than shallow, it's daft, to like, to LOVE, a book reader because of this trivial point. It only lasts a few seconds, for goodness sake! Pull yourself together, woman.

The actual reading experience is better on the Kindle App (unless you miss that attractive page curl - a bit as though the e-pub reader is winking at you . . .), because it has greater functionality. But I do like those lovely bookshelves.

Overall verdict: the Galaxy Tab 7 is a great device. Does masses more than I thought it would, does it fast and effortlessly, and I still have a lot more to discover.

I wouldn't dream of giving up my Kindle, which is just perfect as a reading device, but my Galaxy, as well as offering so very many other things, will be a handy Kindle back-up.

If only Amazon would call in a carpenter to set up some shelves . . .

99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 9 November 2010
When Apple launched the iPad, I purchased one immediately. I remember being delighted by the large screen, and the effortless web surfing experience. After owning the iPad for a little over a week, however, I then wondered what exactly I was going to use it for - I had a Macbook Pro, and a smartphone - and the iPad failed to complete many tasks I wanted it to, and certainly failed to bring anything new in terms of functionality. Needless to say, it was sold on eBay shortly afterwards.

Since then, I have been waiting for a tablet device to come to market that offered a little bit more than just a large touchscreen. My wait is now over.

My Samsung Galaxy Tab arrived on November 1st, so I have been using it every day for just over a week. What a fabulous device! I have read various tech journals saying the iPad is better, and to those who just want a couch-surfer, maybe so. I guess the web experience on the iPad is a little more polished. But any criticism of the Tab ends there. After a week, I am used to the touch screen interface and the way it reacts to my inputs, I am happy with the smoothness of the scrolling when viewing websites, and I'm ok with the reported lack of apps available on Android market (by comparison with the app store). I followed the tip on sizing apps to fill the screen, and that works just great.

I use the device as a secondary phone, for personal calls, via a bluetooth headset. Call quality is excellent, and I haven't had a dropped call yet - can't say the same with my 3gs! The email client is fantastic, pushes my POP account and gmail over, and collects them all in a unified inbox. Keyboard is so easy for thumbing in portrait - I find it really fast and easy, but I'm no touch typist. Contacts and calendar synced up with google, great use of the extra screen size over a smartphone. I use google docs and thinkfree office for work stuff, mostly spreadsheet stuff, and it works well, and web browsing is just fine with full flash onboard. iPlayer looks a treat.

Many have wondered whether a 7" screen is large enough to be better than a smartphone - yes it is - way better. Screen size between 3.5" phone and 7" Tab may not sound much, but it seems about three times the size of my HTC Desire. Makes all the difference in the world - no more squinting! Camera works well, not fantastic by any means, but I've taken some reasonable snaps, and that's good enough for me. I generally take the pictures on my HTC Desire, and bluetooth 'em over to the Tab, then use the Tab to view the gallery - a nice visual experience, and great to pass around amongst friends and family.

Widgets, shortcuts, feeds and live wallpaper all help to make the Tab feel personal - I've got all nine screens pretty rammed. I have a 32Gb micro SD card in the slot, so bags of space - keep all the media on the card, works great - and you have the option of storing loads of media on lots of different cards - never run out of storage space.

I have used the device twice as a navigation tool - it has now replaced my TomTom. Enough said.

The Tab feels like a quality piece of kit - doesn't crease or flex, no creaking, screen seems tough, and plastics feel good quality - no scratches yet. Speakers are loud, and sound quality not bad at all. Battery life - 13 hours use including constant WiFi, bluetooth, regular surfing, email on push, calls, navigation, and angry birds, of course!

As an ebook reader, I am quite impressed - I loaded a couple of books up, and it seems great - nice, clear text, I can look up long words to increase my loquaciousness, and the device feels light and is easy to grip - even lying in bed. It is fab as a video player - seamless, good screen size, plays every format I've thrown at it.

I've downloaded PowerAmp from the Android market as a music player - works well - Angry Birds is cool on the bigger screen, FB works fine, what else do you want??? Notifications bar is useful, bluetooth is fast, multitasking is awesome, file manager helpful, and I've saved the best bit 'till last...

It fits in my jeans pocket!

I have never written a review before (as you may be able to detect), but the Samsung Galaxy Tab made me put my initial thoughts in writing - it really is that good. I doubt you could be disappointed, and if you are, an update to Gingerbread will probably sort you out!
4848 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The Galaxy Tab is a 7" touchscreen/tablet device supporting internet connectivity via WiFi or a 3G SIM card, which you will either have to purchase separately or may come as a deal if you get the Galaxy Tab from a phone operator. The TAB runs the Android OS (version 2.2 at this time), which is written by a company owned by Google. Android can be found on a number of devices and smartphones that compete directly with Apple. Most notably in my experience Android is found on the HTC Desire. It was in using this that I got to thinking what a great idea Android on a big screened tablet would be.

So when I saw the Galaxy TAB I practically jumped on it. And I have to say almost a month down the line I love using it more with each day. It is now the multimedia device I use more than any I own. I read Kindle on the TAB, I read Epub on the TAB, its great having both ebook formats together on the same device. It's my alarm clock, my master contacts list and diary synced via Google Sync, a toy for watching movies on the train or listening to music, for playing games. The Asphalt racing game that comes with it is great fun. I use the TAB to check live train times from a shortcut on the home screen, I commute daily and over christmas this saved me so often. I read all the news, weather, sports and entertainment feeds I would ordinarily by squinting at my Blackberry or using the vulcan nerve pinch zoom on the screen of the HTC desire. The TAB comes with 512Mb internal memory, 16Gb internal storage to which you can add another 32Gb with a microSD card of your own. The 1024 x 600 resolution of this screen is superb for movies, the sound without headphones is good and clear, excellent with headphones. Browsing the web is a real pleasure to be appreciated by anyone who has tried to view full internet pages on a phone screen. Full Amazon displays perfectly on it. Android is an excellent and very featured OS that is well supported with lots of good Apps. The apps are largely professionally written with a great mix between productivity, fun and outright usefulness. My favourites being a slingbox viewer (paid for) and Ignition (logmein - also paid for). In fact almost everything that is good with the Galaxy TAB derives from Android and its very wide support.

And sadly almost everything that doesn't work comes from the belief it would seem, that Samsung thought they only had to put Android onto good hardware and the result would be an excellent product. It is great, but it could have been soo much more.

So what's wrong? First and foremost the USB connector. It has been over a year since almost all mobile companies standardised on the MicroUSB connection for charging and PC connectivity via USB. Apple did not, but they have a unique position in the market that no other company has. So why oh why did Samsung decide on a propriety USB connector? It is only a matter of time before I lose this cable or forget it or both. The logic behind a standard microUSB was you could literally pick up the same cable you use for any other device and it would be good to go. At a tenner for additional Samsung TAB USB cables, this 'feature' alone knocked one star from my rating. This in the extra thought processes I have to put into knowing I have the cable to hand wherever I go. Hugely disappointing when these gadgets are all geared around making our lives easier, to then deliberately introduce a proprietary USB cable that will almost certainly trip me up repeatedly in the future.

While the TAB does have this amazing 1024 x 600 screen, there has been almost no customisation of the Android OS to take advantage of this outside of internet browsing. Which lost it the other star. Screens don't fit, graphics sometimes disappear or don't refresh properly. This is not an all the time thing but takes an edge off the polish. There is a real lack of interesting widgets. Sound trivial? Widgets implemented properly really add to the Android experience and provide accessibility to information you will not find on contemporary Apple devices. Despite the sleek Android interface the hardware still lags quite badly sometimes. This is unnecessary given the hardware specification of the TAB, quite simply little time was spent tailoring android for the hardware it would be running on. The default keyboard setting on mine was the Swype mode, in landscape it is barely bigger than in portrait mode, a tiny cluster of keys grouped in the centre of the screen bookended by lots of white space. Even when Swyping where you drag your finger between keys I struggled to see the keyboard beneath my Swyping finger. It took me a while to figure how to turn off swype as it was not obvious. Properly integrated, switching input modes would have been a button, not having to hold your finger on the text box for four seconds, which had to be sourced from the manual. Very frustrating.

Additionally in positioning the Apps and widgets on the home screens no attempt has been made to make them work within the higher resolution. So basically nothing sits central or symmetrically, making the screens look left justified or right justified, if that makes sense. I could go on, the lack of customisation is apparent at almost every level.

In summary, the Galaxy TAB is a great bit of technology that brings together the functionality of multiple devices into one. I use it all the time and love doing so. It only gets three stars because I paid a lot of money for this and there are some fundamental flaws out of the box. The awful proprietry cable is a real show stopper for me, it's one of the things that I dislike so much in Apple's world view. The Galaxy Tab software out of the box is rough around the edges, rushed is the word that keeps springing to mind. Some of these issues are and will be fixed, but for something this expensive we should expect more. Bottom line - if you're considering the Apple iPad and the Galaxy Tab, I think the iPad is still your choice. For those seeking a tablet solution that is not iPad I think Samsung is the best product right now. Get one of these considering all I said above, and I doubt you will be disappointed.

03 March 2011. An update from questions I got in comments for this review: The touch screen works very well. You will get glare in some lighting conditions including outside but this is solved by adjusting the angle you view the device as you would a laptop screen. The TAB also has excellent brightness control. The proprietary cable has repeatedly tripped me up as leaving WiFi on will drain the battery in half a day, especially when there is no WiFI to connect to, so you need to carry a cable with you. Turning off WiFi when you don't need it will give you a couple days of battery. Of course you will forget. The cable is a real sore point that gets me winging every time someone asks about the TAB. A very big mistake in my eyes to have a proprietary cable and I think that everyday having used it now for nearly 4 months. The Android OS is brilliant, I find new uses for it the longer I use it. I still think Samsung should have worked harder at integrating their hardware with Android although you do get used to the 'features'.

I hope this has been helpful to you.
3131 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Okay first off, I am what I'd class as fairly Tech Savvy. I love new gadgets, shiney, new things to play with and explore love that.

Second. I'm not anti apple, I have an iPhone 4 and Apple iPad. Both of which I really rate (apart from restrictions imposed by apple, but I won't judge them oo much on that)

I recently bought an Archos 70 iTablet, it was faulty on arrival but still having used it quickly I discovered that it was very very disapointing. It struggled with flash video, struggled with everything really, plus it felt very very flimsy, I mean it was light and thin, that cannotbe denied, but it also felt that the slightest knock would break it. I sent it back (dead pixel amoungst other things)

So with the galaxy tab only a £130 more expnesive, I took the plunge. I just want to say I'm glad I did.

This thing does EVERYTHING.

I'll start with the hardware : It's solid, rather than spectaculer, it looks nice, the screen is excellent, not as sharp as retina or super amoled, but its lovely a clear. Lets get it straight, it's nowhere near as fancy as an ipad or any apple product, but we all know that apple have the eye candy market sewed up.

Software : It runs nice, not as smooth as ios and it's quite obvious that froyo isn't designed for tablets. Samsung ave done a half decent job with what they've doen with thefront end though, it's good, quick, nippy, rarely locks up. Again like I say it's not ios, but what it lacks in look it makes up for in versatility.

which brings me onto this

It can download torrents. It can download from BBC iplayer. It can play virtually any type of media file you chuck at it, straight out of the box. It does flash on the web, and trust me, this is a big thing. I never thought it would be, but after months on my ipad and the simple fact was I had to get up from my chair and goto my pc more times than i care to mention cos I would find something on the web but couldn't view it on the ipad. The BBC website is the best example. The sports site is excellent, problem is I couldn't view any of the ides. The Samsung rectifys this, all videos work perfectly (after an intial bit of buffering) It can also do ftp which is great if i want to transfer some music from home to my tab.

All of the above are big thigs for me, the ipad cant do any of these :(

The android market is really catching up as well, which is geat news for the average man, cos it means apple no longer monopolise the market. I jst can't help but thing that as android as a platform evolves it's really going to hit apple hard and the arrogance of steve Jobs and their reluctance to open up their platform.

I've just tried to explain it to a friend in work.

The iPad is very much a ferrari with a ford engine. It looks fantastic, but it lacks a lot of features and you're stopped from doing a lot of things that you want to do, i.e. the interior is restricted.

The Samsung is more like a Mercedes. It's good looking but not top end, but it is a smooth runner, and you have scope to make changes the way you wish.

I've just realised this is a shocking analogy but I knowwhat I mean.

The iPAD is great, and I even convinved my 65 year old dad to buy one. They're brilliant for the average man or woman.

The Tab is for the younger generation, the tinkerers, the people who like messing around with stuff, having a fiddle and are pc or mac literate.

I've only had this a day my opnion might be a bit hasty so far, but so far so good.

PS

PRO'S
Build quality is good.
Mobile reception fantastic, rarely drops signal
Screen is lovely.
Works excellent as an ebook reader, especially if you have your own collection.
Ability to download off the web, torrent's, FTP, BBC iPlayer
Handles any media files flawlessly.
True Multitasking.
Very open OS
Android market really catching up.
Widgets :)
Very portable, like as in proper portable.
Websites do flash !!!

CONS
Battery life not as good as I hoped, but again this could change with good battery charging cycle
Some android apps do't scale to size of screen.

I will post back an update in a weeks time
1919 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 10 November 2010
Samsung P1000 Galaxy Tab Smart Media Device (ARM Cortex A8 1GHz, 16GB, 7 inch TFT LCD, 3G, BT 3.0, Android 2.2)

This is far and away the best gadget purchase I've made, even at the slightly exorbitant price that it is currently going for.

Yes, there will be 12 tablets next year, and gingerbread os is coming etc etc...

But right here and now, this device is literally a little bundle of perfection.

The screen is just the right size, big enough to watch tv etc, small enough to hold and fit inside pockets and purses. (And you can lock the screen easily so rotation is not an issue).

Power lasts all day (although it is a bit of a slow charge... overnight is fine), although make sure you turn off wifi, gps, and keep the screen on low brightness when you don't need them high etc.

Calling is a great feature, I've been using a bluetooth headset, and I've set out to improve on that with the Sony HBH DS980 bluetooth stereo headset with, importantly a phonebook and caller id display, I'm hoping it will work well, after toying with getting a visor bluetooth set as my wife is not always comfortable showing the device on the tube etc.

Widgets are great as a way to make the device responsive, our favourite to date is last.fm but also tube status rss reader, and the weather.

The ebook reader functions are fun, although we prefer the non-kobo reader for slightly better screen colour.

We have no complaints about apps, the normal android market works great. In most cases the screen scales just fine, and in other cases the apps work at about 5 inch resolution, so not an issue.

Keyboard choices are superb, swype is one great feature that comes standard, but my wife got smartkeyboard as it supported predictive texting (and voice writing) in Russian as well as English.

Browsing is a delight (full flash--- download the latest adobe flash, air, and acrobat), I didn't find any issues with lag, a slight jutter when scrolling on some sites but hardly an issue.

Connectivity is superb because the reception is double what most other phones can achieve, simply because there is so much antenna space.

We have sipdroid for voip calls, webSMS for voip sms, and skype of course.

Integration with gmail, gmail contacts, and gtalk is of course eash as anything.

Tweetdeck transforms the machine (use the widget) into an instant twitter, facebook, and buzz stream and you can select which one or all you want to post to. (It's full 7 inches, as is Angry Birds, the ebook reader, facebook, and most of the apps we've installed.)

We use a lot of folders on the machine to keep the content inside two pages, but each folder is bursting with apps, and the extra screen space is well used between the widgets, folders, and apps.

Messaging, contact management, and calendar are all great, and remind me of the old agenda/diary people used to carry with them.

This device has nothing to be ashamed of, and is beautiful and pleasurable to interact with. It's fast, smooth, and well designed.

Some reviews have completely missed the mark, wondering why 7 inches is ideal, claiming without merit that the device overheats, that it's juttery, that it lags, that they keyboard is too small, that apps aren't supported etc... It's just not true.

It's only going to get better too, as I am certain they will update quickly to Android 2.3.

If you use fring you can get video chat, but I'm hopeful that skype will finally support this feature sooner rather than later. Until then it's not what it could be, but at least the option is there.

I have many friends who purchased an ipad, and it's just awkward in their hands most of the time, and in widescreen video they don't even get much more video than you do on the 7 inch tab, they don't get full flash (sure it's fading away, but who wants empty spots on websites for the next year or two), and frankly the lack of video calling support as a feature means they were selling a machine that has to be replaced after year 1.

The tab is as future proof as mobile can get these days, that means 2 years, and it will be a good run.

My wife and I both love this device, for my inside jacket pocket, and her purse. I'm confident you won't regret the purchase.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 25 November 2010
Before I start I should explain that I am fortunate enough to own both an Apple iPad 16GB Wifi and the Samsung Galaxy Tab which is now at a price point I can justify. The iPad was purchased for a very specific purpose (music controller for Sonos) and never leaves the house. The Samsung was bought after much consideration as my main portable internet device to complement my Phone.

Personally I could never consider the iPad as my main portable device as for me it's just too big and heavy. The Galaxy is the perfect size and weight and even fits into jacket pockets or small bags. That's the main reasoning behind the purchase.

I have to say I'm blown away by this device, and am so pleased with my purchase. It's so well made with a wonderful screen and a more than adequate OS which will only improve once later versions of Android are released in the next few weeks. The 3G speeds and connection are solid along with the wifi and web browsing using the Dolphin HD web browser (free from app store) is a pleasure. My one criticism is that sometimes with graphically intense websites it can slow down and become sluggish but this is rare.

Samsung have also added some of their own apps which to be completely honest I have not used but every app I have downloaded to this has worked perfectly. There are even now some Galaxy tab optimised apps beginning to appear in the Market and I'm sure this trend will continue.

To summarise, I liked the iPad and I like it even more now that its had the latest software updates to enable multitasking etc. However I really really like the Galaxy Tab as it provides all the functionality the iPad does and more but it also offers superior portability and flexibility in terms of how you want it to look. Highly recommend.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon 10 June 2011
I have added a little video to illustrate some of the features of the Galaxy Tab. You will see that it plays Flash video and therefore can access all of the UK TV player sites. I also show it streaming videos from a file server.

The Tab is configured with Launcher Pro, one of several apps that reconfigure the user interface to suit you; I prefer this to the Samsung UI, but tastes will vary. Anyway, as you will see, each screen can have many items on it, and these can be folders, apps, bookmarks or gadgets, or a combination of them. The items in a folder can also be apps or bookmarks, and the number of these is not limited in any way. Moreover, something like BBC iPlayer could appear in a folder called Multimedia and also in one called TV, so there is a lot of flexibility.

You can then add a folder to the desktop, with vertical scrolling, or add a shortcut to a folder to the desktop, when clicking it opens it to view its contents.

Anyway, enough waffle! Just see what Android can do. I will not bore you with a written review as there are plenty of those already! This tablet will fit in your pocket or bag, to be taken anywhere. It is a fully-fledged computer, and stick your SIM card in and it's a smartphone too. Highly recommended!
review image review image
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 26 November 2011
I managed to get one of these from Amazon Warehouse Deals (£210) and what can I say, its the best thing since sliced bread. I knew the 10 inch tabs would be too big and am so pleased I decided on the 7" - perfect for fitting in your handbag. It wont replace my Kindle for reading (just because of the Kindle screen really). But have spent hardly any time on my all singing & dancing desktop with huge monitor and really tempted to ditch my mobile phone and stick my sim in this instead. Yes you do look like Dom Jolly (I'm in a library) if you take calls but stick it on speaker and the sound clarity is superb. It is unlocked so my O2 Text & Web tariff (£10-£15 a month) is perfect. Connects to the Wi-Fi in the house then automatically switches to 3g when out.

I did wonder whether the ARM Cortex A8 1Ghz would be fast enough with the Iconia Tegra dual blah blah blah on the market, but really I push this device as hard as I can, and cant fault it.

On board apps and installed stuff, you use what you fancy and ignore the rest - try as many as you want from the Android store - all free and downloaded in seconds then ditch it (Dolphin browser is a must and is free of course). The usual suspects Facebook, Twitter, Ebay etc run like a dream as do Hotmail, GMail and Google Maps, Streetview etc. Iplayer / TVCatch Up let you take it anywhere and watch what you want - and all your music fits on too.

WOW - I LOVE IT
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 8 November 2010
This device is great, well built and oozes quality no tacky plasticy bits in sight just a smooth gloss finish. The device is fast and responsive the touch screen is a delight to use. You have access to the android market so all the apps you are used to if you already have an Android powered smart phone. You have flash 10.1 support so you can view bbc iplayer and all flash enabled sites on the web, I have yet to encounter one which has caused problems for me personally.

You can hold it in one hand when in portrait mode and typing is a breeze, it is also comfortable in landscape mode enabling you to type with both thumbs. Video play back is fantastic and it supports a variety of formats which include mkv, however I would recommend you purchase or download a third party video player from the Android market with more features.

It also doubles up as a phone very well you just need to purchase a bluetooth headset ideally but the included wired handsfree/headphones will do. Gaming performance is excellant the graphics acceleration is brilliant in some games especially the included Nova. Sound quality is very good through the speakers with the standard music player. SatNav is also very good and I have now replaced my tom tom with this. I recommend this if you haven't already got an Ipad or another android tablet.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...