5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent traditional, police procedural - wonderful!
First Sentence: "All of them? Even the children?" The fireplace sputtered and cackled and swallowed his gas. "Slaughtered?"

Published on 19 Oct 2009 by L. J. Roberts

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written but slow at times
This is the first book I've read by Louise Penny, and whilst I did enjoy it, I felt it really dragged at times. The characters and the village of Three Pines were what kept the story interesting, somehow the crime aspect of the story got in the way and didn't really ring true, as someone else has said in a review the ending was frustrating.

I won't be rushing...
Published on 27 Feb 2012 by Manda Moo

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent traditional, police procedural - wonderful!, 19 Oct 2009
L. J. Roberts (Oakland, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

As the seasons are changing, so are lives in the village of Three Pines. The body of an unknown man of a stranger is left in the bistro and antiques store of Oliver and Gabri. Chief Inspector Gamache must identify the victim as well as the killer uncovering secrets and lies along the way.

Quite different from the previous four books, this feels to be a transitional book, both for the author and the characters. As with all Ms. Penny's books, it is wonderfully written. One of the magical things about her books, is that you can read them as simple mysteries, or you can take the time to realize all the depth and layers that exist therein.

She is an author who makes you want to read passages aloud to others because they are so well done. You can tell that Ms. Penny loves her characters and the setting yet knows neither is perfect. They convey both the best, and the worst, of all people.

I love Penny's sense of humor; it is wry, subtle and brilliant. One character talks states that "I decided since I turned fifty, I needed to get into shape." She smiled fully then. "Or at least into a different shape. I'm aiming for pear rather than apple." She patted her stomach. "Thought I suspect my nature is to be the whole orchard."

Ms. Penny is a very descriptive writer of places, people and animals. She brings everything to life, without ever being cute or maudlin about it. She has a clear love and respect for all living things.

Three Pines and its residents are undergoing significant changes. I'll admit I shed a few tears at the end of this book. I am anxious to see where the road, and author, takes them.

THE BRUTAL TELLING (Pol Proc-CI Gamache-Canada-Cont) - Ex
Penny, Louise - 5th in series
Minotaur Books, 2009, ARC Trade Paperback - ISBN: HC- 9780312377038

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner !, 21 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Brutal Telling (A Chief Inspector Gamache Mystery Book 5) (Kindle Edition)
This series just gets better and better and despite trying to ration them and not read them all at once I find myself going back to the next one as soon as I finish one .The characters are as well-drawn as ever ...the creation of the poet Ruth is an absolute triumph! AN EXCELLENT BOOK!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 5 July 2014
Intriguing storyline.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 3 July 2014
Love the Louise Penny stories about Gamache

4.0 out of 5 stars another excellent read, 25 Jun 2014
Louise Penny keeps me turning the pages. Wonderful and well rounded characters. Looking forward to reading more from Inspector Gamacge

4.0 out of 5 stars different and deeper, 26 May 2014
I missed the detail of the storyline involving the other surete agents . However I did like the vivid pictures painted of the new characters and the wonderful visits to the islands .

5.0 out of 5 stars An absorbing read., 16 May 2014
I was just reading the reviews for this and smiling because had I not read all the other Louise Penny books, I would probably have said the same thing, the end is a tad vague. I have had difficulty buying these books living in Scotland so have needed to purchase them as and when I could on Amazon so have almost read them backwards. Saying that it didn't matter as most are stand alone reads too but the difference with this is it continues on in Bury your Dead where everything comes together. It was an absorbing read made all the more pleasurable for me as I knew the jist of the murder story so could concentrate and dwell on the heavenly poetry scattered through the chapters. Oh this series of books for me are a God send. I adore this author's way of writing a tale, the characters she has imagined and the endless smiles and giggles you get with the antics of the residents in Three Pines. Armande should be a heartthrob by now; I have a lovely picture in my mind of him and Beauvoir! It is so refreshing to read a murder mystery novel which doesn't fill the pages with blood and gore but takes you on a fabulous sensory journey with all the sights and sounds and smells of that wonderfully imagined place called Three Pines. Just an amazing achievement from this author as I have not yet found one of these books a trial to read and that in itself must be quite an accomplishment. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite Louise Penny, 23 Mar 2014
Amazon Customer (Mission, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
I've read numerous Inspector Gamache novels now, not in any particular order, and this has got to be my favourite. I love the interweaving of art, history, and mystery, even taking us on a trip to Emily Carr territory on the West Coast. Magical.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Brutal Telling, 3 Dec 2013
The Brutal Telling by Louise Penny
One of her best. I thoroughly enjoyed every word. If I needed to put the book down the plot was easily picked up. I have one more Louise Penny book to go......help!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Read, 6 Sep 2013
Louise Penny has the rare ability to draw you into the world she creates. Combined with intricate plots and well thought out (and sometimes - actually mostly) eccentric characters her books are totally absorbing.

The Brutal Telling is one of the most complex she's written so far (and I've read all of the Gamache books) with all kinds of twists and turns.

Excellent!