on 21 January 2014
Detailed account of the founding and forging of the United States up to WWI. I especially enjoyed the section on Jefferson's philosophy when drafting the Declaration of Independence.
on 26 July 2014
I'm English never understood the English political experience until I could see the freedom of the American way and use that as an ideal to hold against every other political system the world has ever created. This book show how American politics formed and shows how it is superior to nearly all other political powers. Representation, representation, representation! The monarch is deposed by parliament, parliament is despised by the people, the people elect a president who is more powerful than everyone but is elected!
on 18 July 2013
A little heavy going but worth persevering in my case by dipping in and out. Learned one or two fascinating facts not least that GB could have been and could still be charging the US a tax for transporting any goods by sea - the law was never quashed. Boy would this remove the black hole in our economy!
on 31 January 2013
Thoroughly enjoyable and full of challenging thinking. However if I had known that this history finished so 1916 and that the last 38 per cent of the book was of little. Interest only to statisticians I would have probably not started this book. Certainly very enjoyable up to 1916.
on 9 October 2014
Very comprehensive history of U.S A.Somewhat over inconclusive but very important and interesting.Suitable for students of all levels.Very good.Thanks.I have no complaints.
on 24 June 2013
To much on the political side for me. I was expecting history of the native Indians. Might give it another try when I have my political head on.
on 28 August 2013
I was hoping to get a general background to the subject but this book was written in such a way that it lacked any interest to the reader.
on 16 June 2013
A fairly competent historical account but some of the later comments and conclusions may jar with the 21st century reader.
on 9 May 2013
it is a bit to general for me but for a small volume it gives you some bones to chew on and dig further on
on 4 April 2013
A very interesting book, I read this quite quickly as it held my attention right to the end. Worth a try.