5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!!!!
Published 1 month ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Graphic read.
I have to say that when I started reading The Kult I found it hard to get into. It wasn't until I was about a third of the way through that the story appeared to gain momentum. So if you start to read it and are tempted to give up my advice would be to stick with it.

I write graphic novels myself but even I found some of the scenes gag worthy.

I...
Published 23 months ago by Mel Comley

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!!!!, 12 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Kult (A Prosper Snow novel, Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Well, where do I start? I was already a fan of Shaun Jeffrey, after reading my first novel by him - Fangtooth, but this far outdid Fangtooth by a mile! I thought at first it was going to be another serial killer book, which was fine as I love his style of writing, but how wrong was I? It was fast paced, excellently written and had so many twists and turns, I had no clue as to what would happen next! I know a lot of novels keep the reader guessing right to the end, but I can honestly say I've never read anything quite as exciting as this - and I've read hundreds, believe me! Prosper Snow was the detective in charge of a particularly nasty serial killer case (very gory at times, so be warned!) which in itself had you wondering who the killer was. Then the writer threw a spanner in the works, by getting Prosper's friend to ask him to help do the unthinkable, along with the rest of his childhood gang of friends. That's when it started to get REALLY unputdownable!! Every chapter ended on yet another twist in the tale, until I found I couldn't wait to see what happened next! And just when you thought you had it sussed - another twist came! The ending left me quite breathless - stunning book! I can highly recommend this novel - and the writer - to all fans of slightly different stories, but very very exciting ones! Keep 'em coming Mr Jeffrey, as I for one will read everything you produce!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeps you guessing, 18 Aug 2013
M. Brookes - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Kult (A Prosper Snow novel, Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I'd heard many good things about this book before reading it and I'm pleased to say that I wasn't disappointed. It grabbed me from the very first line and kept me hooked until the cinematic conclusion. A killer is stalking the streets killing seemingly random victims, the most vulnerable in society and photographing them in gruesome tableaus. At the centre of all this is Prosper Snow, the lead detective on the case who has a dark secret of his own.

What I liked about this book wasn't just the quality of the writing and the excellent pacing, it was the fact that it kept me guessing. From early in the story it heads in unexpected directions and keeps you guessing right up until the end. The blending of two main threads also makes it stand out from other similar killer hunts I've read.

There was one minor issue I had with the story and that was the reveal near the end. After the almost artistic nature of the murders it felt a little flat, mundane even. Although there's probably a philosophical point that no matter how grandiose the kill, there's always a mundane motivation behind it. In any fact the reveal does make sense for the story and was signposted throughout the story.

The Kult is an excellent read, one I'm happy to recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gory but great, 6 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Kult (A Prosper Snow novel, Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
'The Kult' is an exceptional mystery thriller that keeps you guessing right until the end. Packed with action and excitement, you'll find yourself unable to put it down.

It follows the character Prosper Snow, who is thoroughly relatable police detective, but like all good sleuths, somewhat flawed. A little misguided loyalty towards his friends spirals out of control and he finds himself caught up in the middle of a very dark deed indeed.

In a twist on the regular whodunit theme, Snow gets involved in both sides of the investigation. On the one hand, he's trying to catch a serial killer that revolts him, but at the same time, he's having to keep his own misdemeanours safe from police detection.

The book is very gory. I found myself scared to get out of bed in the middle of the night whilst reading it. Although being terrified isn't my favourite emotion, it's great when you read a book that really makes you feel.

Shaun Jeffrey is an indie writer who deserves great success. When 'Killers' (the second Prosper Snow novel) came second in a best indie books of 2011 poll, I knew it was time to read 'The Kult'. I certainly understand why the series is so highly recommended.

All is all, a great book, which will suit anybody who likes a modern, bloody whodunit. It's not for the faint-hearted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant !, 19 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Kult (A Prosper Snow novel, Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
The best 86p I have spent for a long time.Had me gripped from the first to last page.Found it easy to follow, not too many characters like in some other books. That well written you are there with them, will probably stay in my mind for days to come.Lots of books fall short on the endings, but this book did not disappoint at all.

For the 86p I paid its a steal, get it while you can.

Looking forward to reading Killers now.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Butler did it ! ;o), 22 Sep 2011
This review is from: The Kult (A Prosper Snow novel, Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
"People are predictable. That's what makes them easy to kill."

I must say it's a smashing opening line, which got me interested in the book (probably because I am a total routine freak and therefore am obviously an easy prey!). It's what got me to buy the book (along with hints that it was going to be rather gory and hearing a lot of praises from fellow readers), and what got me totally into the story within the first few pages.

I won't spoil it for anyone, so I'll keep to generalities. Story totally messed up with my brain. Through the information that is released little by little without spoiling the actually fast-paced storyline, I ended up making theories about loads of stuff, who, what, how, why... And it's more than just the story of murdered/murderer/victims/motive etc. You see how things go for Prosper Snow, and you think "will he? won't he?" and you pretty much do that with every other character, you just don't know... and then it comes to a head. And BAM! you do know who, what, how, why. But no, it's not the end of it ! Shaun still has a couple of tricks up his sleeve, and still manages to drop more bombshells ! And you continue to think "will he? won't he?"

Loved every single line of it. For a fiction story, it's actually very credible. Because after all, we see dark stories in real life and we know how far some people are ready to go to satisfy the evil side of their personality. Details really help you imagine the scenes (people with weak stomachs be warned), and as a reader you really feel the tension, the worries and the dilemmas felt by the protagonists.

And, although probably less important in the review of the book, but something I felt like mentioning: I absolutely loved Wolfe's character, to me he was completely nuts, yet so alive !

Anyways, I'm not going to say much more, other than the fact that Shaun has found in me a new fan, I can't wait to read all the other books, and am really eagerly waiting for the return of Mr. Snow !

5.0 out of 5 stars A dark thriller, 23 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Kult (A Prosper Snow novel, Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
"The only things Prosper ever killed were insects with bug spray, and sometimes he felt guilty about that." - The Kult (A Prosper Snow novel, Book 1)

Until I started reading The Kult, I assumed it was horror, but it's not. Sure, it has some rather graphic scenes where if I were viewing it on film rather than reading words, I'd be closing my eyes. But it's more dark thriller than horror, with plenty of action, intrigue and suspense. Not to mention the twist in the tail I didn't see coming.

Shaun Jeffrey uses all the senses to full effect, sucking the reader into the core of this heart-stopping story about relationships, about loyalty, about betrayal. Hang on tight for a ride you won't forget in a hurry.

Highly recommended for all but the faint-hearted

4.0 out of 5 stars The Kult, 1 Mar 2013
Joo "kuforum" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Kult (A Prosper Snow novel, Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I have to say, "People are predictable. That's what makes them easy to kill." is one of the best tag lines I've come across. It stuck in my mind and made me intrigued to read this book.

This is a serial killer book, so you know it will be nasty in places, people will die, there'll be lots of blood and a game of tag between the killer and the police. But this book is a bit different in that Prosper Snow (the policeman) is not always on the one side of the law.

I enjoyed this story, even though I didn't really like Prosper Snow as a character. He wasn't really a nice person (in my mind). But of course, not liking the character can mean he is more interesting than a do-gooding hero.

5.0 out of 5 stars The KULT by Shaun Jeffrey, 1 April 2012
Quaser "Q" (Wellingborough, Northants) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Kult (A Prosper Snow novel, Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This is a review of The KULT by Shaun Jeffrey.

WOW - this is an excellent horror/thriller from the pen of Shaun Jeffrey. If you like lots of blood and gore...you will love this.

The story is basically a who-dun-it told from the perspective of policeman Prosper Snow, and also by the serial killer, known throughout as The Oracle.

It also details the history of The KULT, which began as a gang of kids who met at school, who pledged their allegiance to one another, and who remained in touch into adulthood.

Once the killings start, The Oracle sends photographs of the victims to the police, taunting them to solve the clues he provides as to his identity.

As the story progresses, there are many cliffhanger moments, and, just when the reader thinks the killer is about to be caught, another twist emerges.

The main characters are well drawn, especially Prosper who, despite his frankly unusual name (there are a lot of characters with unusual names in this story) seems to be competent at his job. He is not the classic sleuth that one usually encounters, and he has some serious flaws in his character, some of which can be traced back to......no, I shan't tell you, it will spoil the book.

I'm looking forward to reading more books by this author - and hopefully more about Prosper Snow.

**This copy was provided to me for review

5 stars *****

5.0 out of 5 stars Great & Gruesome, 29 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Kult (A Prosper Snow novel, Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Loved the plot on this. Some great twists and turns along the way that keep you guessing who dunnit! Now looking forward to the 2nd book Killers, once I've calmed down a bit!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant ending!!, 25 Dec 2011
This review is from: The Kult (A Prosper Snow novel, Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I have to admit through different sets off circumstances I took a long while to really get into this book but once I got into it I managed to finish it in one night (waiting on Santa!)

I absolutely loved it! The whole last half of the book felt completely full of action and I physically couldn't put it down!

I was even more happy that I called it. I have no idea how because the twist was truly OUT OF THE BLUE but I definitely called it.

I even said to my Mother before I went to bed that I had a totally crazy inkling to the end and when she woke up this morning she said, and I quote, "I take it from the overjoyed victory shout last night at 1:30am you got the ending right."

OH YEAH. I totally. called. it.

I really loved some of the characters and hated others, and the one I truly hated the most was the bad guy - winner!

A brilliant recommendation from some great friends, a big thank you to them all and I can't wait to read more of Shaun Jeffrey!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›