Format: Audio Download|Change
Price:£11.65

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 17 January 2016
I was given a copy of this book in the mid-70's, by a very excitable Uncle, as I recall. I found it absolutely fascinating and opened up a hitherto unknown world! (Remember, this was a very long time before t'Internet. All we had were encyclopaedias and a library!). It sparked my mind and my imagination. I have this book to thank, at least in part, for a lifelong interest in thinking for myself.

Two principle things have changed since those days. Firstly, I grew up (pity that, really). Secondly, access to the writings and thoughts of others on the book and its contents became much simpler through aforementioned, t'Internet and the natural passage of time. Inevitably the adolescent wonder I felt at such possibilities as alien visitors, has somewhat faded in significance to me (personally, I blame my discovery of girls mostly for that!) but I read it again, for old times sake (it was wearing, a lot better than me, on a book shelf!)

I have read every one of the 163 reviews on this book. I have no problem with anyone who felt there might be something in this. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I will not write chapter and verse on the many published alternative (rather less sensational) analyses of the evidence presented (half the fun is discovering these things for yourself). My own view is that it is all nonsense. Fantasy, what-if, nonsense. No alien visitations to earth. (Whether aliens exist or not, out there, somewhere, in the inconceivable vastness of the universe, is another, more intriguing area, mind!)

However, don't take my word for any of this. Or his. All I would say is I would encourage any young, enquiring mind reading the book, to seek out the alternative explanations and rationalisations for much of the "evidence" presented. With all information available, then decide. As the saying goes; the truth (for each of us) is out there.
on 16 January 2002
Although in the years following it's initial release, some of Von Daniken's theories have been proven to be somewhat spurious, much of the material in this book is both fascinating and valid. (And let's be honest, if somebody makes a lot of claims, some are going to be proved wrong at one point or another...)Chariots of the Gods explores the possible relationship of mankind's history with beings from other worlds. Was Jesus an astronaut? You may find the concept a little (or extremely) wacky, but read this book, and by the end, you'll be wondering. Absolutely essential reading for anyone interested in offbeat ideas, and almost as important to anyone else who needs to broaden their ideas of the world a little. However strange those ideas may be...
44 comments|49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 December 2014
This was a marvelous read from my youth, just bought it for my teenage son. I also seem to recall the film being the B movie for something like the Railway Children of all bizarre pairings. It has some splendid theories that the establishment have pretty systematically debunked over the years but still plenty of food for thought.
Only three stars not so much for the content but for the quality of this edition. The photographs are appalling, more like photocopies of photocopies than the crystal clear pics from earlier editions. Surely the publisher could have managed better than this.
on 23 June 2016
I read "Chariots of the Gods" way back in the 70's and was hooked. I read it every minute I could. With various moves over the years, I lost the book and have now ordered this copy and started reading all over again. My views now are somewhat different but it is still a fascinating read - you will not be disappointed. Erich von Daniken had a way of making you understand his insight and you can't but question old established ideas against his radical thinking. Highly recommended.
on 24 March 2014
Absolutely fantastic book that keeps you hooked from start to finish. I look forward to reading the other books in the series
on 29 July 2015
Very outdated book. Written in 1989 predicting man walking on Mars within 12 years! 25 years later still not there!
This books opens your mind and gets you thinking about how things where built 3000BC.
All in it's a good book to read and gives you some unanswered questions but also bare in mind this is one persons thoughts on God being an astronaut/Alien.
on 17 May 2015
This book justified what I'd been thinking since I was a child. For curious minds who are questioning life and archeological discoveries of unexplained, Von Daniken librates our mind to what probably was but got lost in history by conventional religious and then government tactics over the years of human history.
on 10 February 2005
As said in the title, it's an interesting read. I managed to read this in about a week (on the way to and from work), and I must admit, I was engrossed in it until the very end. Yes, his theories are far fetched, which, for me, in the end, were his downfall, but still, it put a different spin on things that you assumed were fact because of past, and so-called 'proven' theories.
The only gripe I have, he dismisses people who say his theories are far fetched, but in relation to the space-craft he says that crashed on earth, he says one theory is too far fetched, therefore dismisses it, tad hypocritical. (For all you interested, the theory that Daniken dismissed was that when a fireball hurtled across the sky of the Siberian Taiga, one man said that this could have been a direct result from the Krakatoa volcano eruption. This is due to the fact that this eruption sent out a large concentration of radio waves into space and the 'aliens' mistakenly took the radio waves for a signal from space, so directed a laser beam, which was far too strong, at the earth and when the beam his the earth's atmosphere high above Siberia, it had turned into matter, crashing into the surface of the earth).
Anyway, happy reading. If you're interested in learning a little bit on theories and seeing things in a different way, opening up new possibilities, get this book.
on 28 June 2015
First encountered this book when it was serialised in a Sunday paper in the swinging Sixties. Certainly changed my life - a real eye & mind opener to the perception of greater things. The author Erich Von Daniken undeservedly came under a lot of flak - but I highly recommend it's purchase.
on 8 September 2014
Great book, I just love it, read it and thoroughly enjoyed it.