5.0 out of 5 stars Not at all disappointing-the best of the series...
Published on 7 Sep 2011 by Osetinka

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad
The last in the series and not a bad book. Although the plot idea is a good one, in reality it does not pan out so great, feeling a bit laboured and slow and the set pieces fail to generate stratospheric levels of excitement. Also, the villains feel a bit predictable and the tone at the end is not quite in the spirit of the earlier books and I think was adversely affected...
Published 12 months ago by William Axtell

5.0 out of 5 stars Not at all disappointing-the best of the series..., 7 Sep 2011
Osetinka (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have always been a fan of Anthony Horowitz, and I have read the books from the beginning of Alex's adventure until the end. Scorpia Rising is the ultimate finish to the Alex Rider series, challenging him physically and emotionally. I was not at all disappointed, and it is probably the best book I have ever read, and I would definitely recommend this to any lover of spy stories, action, adventure, and a slight touch of horror.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant end to the series, 31 Mar 2011
It really doesn't seem like ten years since we were introduced to Alex, yet even though a decade has passed for us, the time period covered by the series is much shorter - not much more than a year, in fact. In Scorpia Rising Alex is now 15, and he hasn't heard from MI6 in five months, giving him the opportunity to settle into the life a normal teenager should be living, concentrating on his first year of GCSEs, being made captain of the school football team, and even finding himself being given the part of Teen Angel in the school's production of Grease. With every silver lining, there is usually some kind of dark cloud in tow - in this case Alex's long time carer and closest friend, Jack Starbright is getting itchy feet. She rarely sees Alex any more as he has now managed to build a healthy social life with friends his own age, she questions whether he needs her any more, and there is some pressure for her to return to the USA where her father is quite ill. Anthony Horowitz has made it very clear that this will be the final Alex Rider book, and this starts to become quite clear as we read these early scenes between Alex and Jack - time and events have changed them both and now it is possibly time to move on.

I say 'early scenes', but this is a little misleading - we don't actually get to read any kind of scene featuring Alex until page 129! Sounds a little crazy that we don't get to see our hero until almost a third of the book has past, but therein I feel lies the cleverness in Mr Horowitz's writing, and also helps make this book the best in the series so far. Those first 128 pages are devoted entirely to Alex's enemies, following them as they devise a scheme that will net Scorpia a fortune, whilst at the same time enabling them to destroy the teenage boy that has been a thorn in their side for so long. In order to assist them in their dastardly plan they enlist the help of another of Alex's enemies, a character we first met much earlier in the series - and no, I'm not going to say who it is, or even which book it was in, as that would just spoil the surprise for you. All I will say is that this person hates Alex more than life itself and will do everything within his/her power to destroy him. By devoting this much time to the set-up, Mr Horowitz created in me an ever-growing nervous tension, as I started to wonder just how Alex would survive this final mission.

This tension was heightened by the fact that Mr Horowitz had previously stated that a character that had been in all of the previous eight books would die in Scorpia Rising. A little knowledge can be very painful - every time a key character seemed in jeopardy I found my heart beginning to race, fearing that this would be the moment I had to say goodbye to an old friend..... and then somehow that person would survive, my heart rate would return to normal, only to accelerate again a little later. The author does this to us several times, making the scene where a character dies even more hard-hitting, and also very much emotional. I read a large portion of Scorpia Rising whilst on a train heading into London to listen to Mr Horowitz give a lecture for the National Literacy Trust, and as I read this scene I am not ashamed to admit that I had tears in my eyes. I very much doubt that I will be the only Alex Rider fan who sheds a tear at this point in the story. I told Mr Horowitz as much when I had the chance to talk to him, and I got the impression that he had found it an emotional scene to write.

As well as the changing relationship between Alex and Jack, there are many other elements throughout Scorpia Rising that indicate that this will be the concluding episode of the series, long before we get to the final chapters. Before Alex even appears in the book we are told that Alan Blunt will soon no loner be in his senior MI6 position. Somewhat topically, a new prime minister is in power and has decided to shake up the intelligence services, and his discovery that MI6 has been using a teenager on missions was the final nail in Blunt's professional coffin. However, with the end of his career in sight will Blunt worry about the consequences of using Alex one more time or will he finally see sense? Can he possibly stoop any lower than has has before? Another popular MI6 character throughout the series has been the jocular gadget inventor, Smithers. Yet again he is able to lend Alex a hand with a useful 'toy' when he finds himself having to go to Cairo, and for the first time in the series we actually get to see a little more of Smithers as he goes out into the 'field'. This leads on to an incredible revelation about the portly technical wizard, and also the unveiling of his greatest ever invention.

We have seen a lot happen to Alex over the course of the series, and he has matured faster than any teen of his age should, but in Scorpia Rising we see him have to cope with the violent death of someone he knows, and the gamut of emotions he experiences following this - numbness; pain; anger; hunger for revenge... we really do see his raw emotion and with this comes a fatalism that we haven't witnessed before in Alex. In the past it was all about survival - by the end of this book it seems he doesn't care whether he survives or not!

I really do think that this is my favourite book of the whole series - it has all the best elements of the previous eight including the tight plotting, the twists and turns, the great action scenes, totally evil villains.... you name it, Scorpia Rising has it. However, I am sure that there will be fans out there who do not share this opinion. The expectation felt by fans before reading the final book in a popular long-running series is always pretty extreme, and may will have their own ideas of how they want the series to finish. I expect you will read a number of reviews as glowing as mine, and probably an similar number of negative reviews with fans complaining about one issue or another. I would suggest you read the book for yourself and make your own mind up, and whatever your feelings about Scorpia Rising then join me in thanking Anthony Horowitz for the thrills and excitement he has brought us over the past ten years, and will no doubt continue to bring us in the future with the continuation of his fab Power of Five series, and the Alex Rider spin-off book he plans to write, with the story based upon how Yassen Gregorovich became an assassin. Thank you Mr Horowitz!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great end to an exciting series, 24 Jun 2012
L. Burgoyne (Scotland) - See all my reviews
If you have enjoyed all the other Alex Rider books you will enjoy this one too. The adventures are even more hair-raising and absorbing and a lot of loose ends are tied up. The book is fast-paced, with terrifying enemies, difficult situations and a lot of emotions. A wonderful ending!

5.0 out of 5 stars alex rider is amazing please read him, 1 Nov 2011
Sebastian Marling (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Scorpia Rising (Alex Rider) (Kindle Edition)
i am the biggest alex rider fan! i am ten years old and i love reading and alex rider series are the best books ive every read. when i picked up this book i knew it was going to be amazing since ive read all the other alex rider books. it has an amazing storyline that grips you from the very first page to the very end page! this one in paticar is amazing and scorpia return with a plot to steal the elgin marbles and kill alex and the president of the usa secretery. can alex save the usa secretery and his own skin before its too late?

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 7 Sep 2013
This review is from: Scorpia Rising (Alex Rider) (Kindle Edition)
Simply amazing i just cant believe how good ant is at writing alex rider books

Going to miss them for ever

5.0 out of 5 stars THE END OF IT ALL?, 23 Oct 2011
Mr. D. L. Rees "LEE DAVID" (DORSET) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Alex's greatest challenge - with a heartrending price to pay. He and MI6 are but pawns in Scorpia's latest audacious plans. Chief villain is Razim (greatest ambition to have his name immortalized as a unit of pain). Key to Razim's success is Alex's double, Julius Grief - one of Dr. Hugo's clones from Point Blanc. Julius's greatest ambition? Destruction of Alex in as prolonged and agonizing way as possible.

More high speed adventures and almost unbearable suspense. Necessarily the mood is darker, with Alex so often fighting for his life. Gadget genius Smithers brings welcome light relief - indeed here delivers perhaps the biggest surprise of the series - one surely not anticipated by a single reader?

With odds stacked so much against him, there is a real danger this time Alex may not survive - especially as we know this is his last adventure. For a year (and nine books) he has been shamefully used and abused, his body bearing ample evidence of the injuries inflicted. Surely by now Alex deserves a normal life? What are the chances of this happening?

There will be anxious and rapid turning of pages as addicts (of all ages) try to find out.

Because of Anthony Horowitz, so many young readers are no longer reluctant.

What greater tribute could there be?

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Alex Rider books, 9 April 2011
J. Jones (Huddersfield) - See all my reviews
So...you already know that Alex doesn't appear for more than 100 pages because you've read reviews that tell you so. But you also heard that's OK because the plot development that goes into those pages is worth the read. It is.

The main difference between this book and others in the series is that for most of this one Alex is out-manoeuvred and is fighting forces he truly can't beat. This makes the twists and turns more interesting than those in some of the other Alex Rider books.

The level of detail about peripheral characters is up on previous books so we learn a bit more about Mrs Jones, Alan Blunt, Jack and Smithers. Again, all to the good.

Obviously, no one who has never read an Alex Rider book should be starting with this one. But for anyone wanting some pre-reading, I'd re-read Point Blanc and Scorpia before starting this one.

Sad the books have come to an end but Alex goes out in style.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 18 Mar 2014
This review is from: Scorpia Rising (Alex Rider) (Kindle Edition)
I didn't expect any of the things that happend to happen. Ignore any one who said it was nothing, it was amazing!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 1 Mar 2014
Andrew Cockburn "andy safc" (north east, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Scorpia Rising (Alex Rider) (Kindle Edition)
amazing book action packed, makes you want to wish that Alex was a full time spy! this book probobaly makes hundreds of kids have second thoughts on being a soy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Alex Rider Book Ever, 19 Feb 2014
This review is from: Scorpia Rising (Alex Rider) (Kindle Edition)
My clues in the title. This book is awsome yet such a sad and emotional ending to the alex rider series

ARRAY(0xa5f1d3a8)

Scorpia Rising (Alex Rider)
Scorpia Rising (Alex Rider) by Anthony Horowitz