5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly superb
This is a great TV. True to life tones unlike the over saturated LCD/LED tvs from other manufacturers. Even with SD transmissions the quality is upscaled effortlessly. An excellent array of features too, Viera cast is really handy for iPlayer and the tv also see's networked hard drives to easily play your saved movies.

I have no desire for 3D, it is awful to...
Published on 20 Jun. 2011 by GigaWatts

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed - not with PQ but with Buzzing
Having read some mixed reviews I decided to take the plunge with this set. I wish I had taken greater note of the reviews which commented on the buzzing emitted by the TV, particularly when high contrast scenes are being presented.

Sure, plasmas are always noisier than LED/LCD sets, but when that buzzing can be heard over and above the sound of the content...
Published on 14 Nov. 2011 by Mr. D. Hughes

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly superb, 20 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Panasonic Smart VIERA TX-P50G30B 50-inch HD Ready 600Hz Internet-Ready Plasma TV with Freeview HD Tuner (Electronics)

I have no desire for 3D, it is awful to watch sports in 3D and also expensive to provide £100 each pair of glasses if you are to have guests round. So this being the best 2D TV around has the exact same quality as the 3D GT30 range which is also superb.

In response to previous reviews, the TV does have a slight buzz when it's cold but you have to be about a foot away from it to notice, then it goes after a few minutes.

I looked into which tv to buy for over a year, almost buying an LED samsung which are great TVs but are not true to showing tonal graduation, anything dark simply appears black. Whereas the Panasonic shows the detail and tonal variations perfectly.

I'm a very fussy customer who is very picky about what I buy. I use high end Hi-fi and expect my TV to match.
This TV does.

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended plasma tv, 15 May 2011
I've had the Panasonic TX-P42G30 for one week. This tv was purchased to replace a 28" CRT with built-in freeview tuner. The picture quality of the Panasonic is outstanding. In shops, like Comet and Currys, it's difficult to see how the picture from this set is as good as the punchier images from the LCD tvs. The panasonic looks bland by comparison. However, if you examine the LCD screens carefully you can see that the white parts of the image regularly 'burn out' losing detail in the process. When you get the Panasonic home, you realise that it retains lots of detail in the whites and blacks giving a picture with a much wider latitude (somethings photographers constantly strive for) giving a much better range of tones with a realistic look. Freeview HD is handled extremely well with superb colours and smooth gradients. Sound is better than expected for a flatscreen tv but external speakers would improve it greatly. Internet connection via the tv is a little limited (no Google for instance) but you can received BBC iPlayer HD, You Tube and Facebook etc. One excellent improvement is the ability to search for a particular programme in the programme guide so if you miss a programme it's easy to locate a repeat in the coming week. One other good feature is the ability to record to a USB hard drive. I bought a 2 TB HDD which can store a lot of HD films, however, be warned that the tv has to be switched on during the recording (no good for recording when out for the night or when you're on holiday!). The tv also features a SD card slot so I can watch home movies from my HD camcorder with ease.

On the downside I would say that this tv has 2 issues, one temporary, one permanent. Initially, there were sound problems on freeview HD. After 10 mins or so of viewing, the sound would suddenly double in volume and the quiet parts of programmes would become very noisy. This issue has been resolved by Panasonic by issuing a downloadable software update (which will also be broadcast on 17 May). The second issue is buzzing. During contrasty scenes, a fairly loud buzzing noise is created which is pretty irritating. If this didn't exist the tv would be perfect but the buzzing is just a little too loud (hence 4 stars). You can't really hear it if the sound is turned up but sometimes loud audio is not always desirable. In its defence, LCD projectors also make a noise (even my old CRT tv whistled), as do PCs and laptops.

Overall, this is a superb tv as long as you can ignore the buzzing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb T.V., 21 Sept. 2011
After a good few weeks research I narrowed my tv search down to this one and the very similar spec TX-L42E30B. It basically comes down to personal choice between LED/LCD and PLASMA. I was still undecided when comparing the two models side by side in my local Panasonic dealer. I was tempted by the LED/LCD as it was the cheaper of the two models but after a bit of haggling the dealer dropped the price of the Plasma to match the LCD/LED just to add to my dilemma. Sorry Amazon but with the price dropped the tv was cheaper at the dealers with a five year guarantee and free same day delivery. Anyway back to the tv it is simply stunning both standard def and high def images are the best images I have seen on a tv, it looks much better at home than in the shop. The picture was near perfect straight out of the box but can be improved/tweeked to suit your preference in the menus. I was a little dissapointed in the sound quality however five minutes in the sound menu had it sorted by adjusting the graphic equalizer to get a decent output for a flat screen tv. One word of warning make sure you purchase the G30 model not the S30 as the S30 is the older model with last years plasma panel not the new NEO Plasma. It also has a thick screen surround which makes it look a bit old fashioned. So you pays your money and makes your choice both sets are great and I doubt you will be dissapointed in either. Hope this review helps a bit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding HD pictures, 15 Sept. 2011
A. Corcoran "4Pak" (UK) - See all my reviews
With the rugby world cup on TV and next year's London Olympics on the horizon - it was time to replace our main ageing Sony CRT TV with a larger flat screen TV. I spend some time looking at the reviews of various makes, comparing features and deciding whether to go for LCD or Plasma. In the end I decided on plasma based on technical reviews describing the more natural colours and better blacks. Whilst 3D can be great at the cinema - I am yet to be convinced that it makes sense at home so I opted for this high end 2D version from Panasonic. I wanted top quality image processing along with an internet connection - specifically to be able to use the BBC's iPlayer.
So far I am bowled over by the quality of the images. Having spent a lot of years working at the technical end of broadcasting I have a good idea of what a decent quality picture looks like - and this is it. On SD the pictures are very very good - and are even better when I select the channels through a Panasonic DMR-BWT700EB Freeview+ twin tuner Hard Disk recorder as it up-converts the SD channels to something approaching HD.
In straight HD the pictures on this TV are sensational, the visible detail is amazing and the quality is sustained even on fast paced sports programmes. The colours are vibrant yet natural and the TV handles blacks and whites beautifully.
Using the Vieracast internet connection to view the BBC's iPlayer is really straightforward and again (considering it's streaming over my broadband connection and my home WLAN) the image quality and especially the HD version is stunning. It would be even better if Vieracast could also access ITV and Channel 4's version of iPlayer as well - or the TV allowed unrestricted internet access. Hopefully this may come as part of a later update.
One or two reviewers have commented on the quality of the sound from the TV. It's true to say that the sound isn't brilliant and certainly lacks depth and bass - however given the slim design of the flat panel this is not really surprising as there is no room to fit in decent speakers. If you are an audio buff or looking for a home cinema experience then using a seperate AV system and a 2.1 or 5.1 set up is worth the extra money. However for regular family TV viewing the sound is absolutely fine.
Setting up the TV was really easy, from fixing the stand to tuning the channels. The Electronic Programme Guide is clear and easy to use and the Vieracast works really well, although rather than pay for the over-priced Panasonic wireless dongle, I opted for the NETGEAR RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N USB Adapter at half the price and this works with the TV perfectly well (although not at all with the DMR-BWT700EB).
Another nice feature is that the TV can detect other PCs on my home network (although not all of them) and with the right permisisons can access them to play any video, stills or music stored on them. So my next project will be to configure my NAS as a media server so we can watch all the videos and pictures of our kids growing up at the touch of a button rather than searching for the DVDs. That will please the grand parents and horrify the kids!
In summary - I am very happy with this TV - outstanding picture quality - highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value plasma from Panasonic, 11 May 2011
I've had my P42G30B for a few days now and have been very impressed. I have replaced a 4 year old Panasonic 37" plasma and the improvement in quality (both build and picture) is considerable. I would certainly recommend this TV to anyone looking for a 42" TV for around £6-700.

GOOD POINTS

Picture quality in THX mode (plus a little tweaking) is outstanding. Black levels are very imnpressive and colours are natural. At first, the picture looks a little washed out but after a few hours of watching my other televisions now look too vivid and un-natural. Now I love the natural picture the P42G30B produces.

The built in Freeview HD tuner is excellent. BBC HD looks much better than on Sky HD. (I compared both sources back to back for a while). Very smooth motion, excellent detail and colour. SD channels also look very good too. Again, much better than Sky SD channels.

The TV looks very sleek and modern. A huge improvement over last years sets and indeed my own 4 year old Panasonic. It is quite thin for a plasma too.

BAD POINTS

Nothing too bad here. The screen buzzed quite a bit when I first got it, especially on white scenes. This has subsided now so that I don't notice it. My old Panasonic buzzed very slightly on bright scenes too so it may be a Plasma/Panasonic thing? Slight buzzing is now only audible on mute in a quiet room, which I feel is perfectly acceptable.

Sound quality is what you'd expect from a modern flat screen. It does the job with Coronation Street, for example, but not so good for movies. Sound is no worse than most other sets I listened to.

Lastly, last years P42G20B was known for a flickering screen, which almost put me off getting this P42G30B (as I believe they use the same panel). I noticed the flickering in the shop, and even when setting it up at home, but in use I don't notice it. On a white screen I can detect a slight flicker out of the corner of my eye, but during normal watching I don't.

SUMMARY

After months of researching TVs I am happy I went for this one. I wanted the best possible picture quality for my money and I believe that this set delivers this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, solid, large 2D TV., 23 Jun. 2011
C. G. Maclean (Berlin, Germany) - See all my reviews
Plucked for this TV as I'm of the opinion that 3D is as yet still very much a gimmick.

We needed a new living room TV that will last a few years, and from the reviews I've seen this seemed to be at the "sweet spot" of price/features.

Great picture, sound's not too shabby and the unit has a lot of connectivity options.

Especially enjoying the DLNA features - TV is linked up to my home network and able to access the Internet, play video from my NAS and I can also control the TV using Panasonic's rather neat iPhone app.

Please note that I have had no issue with any buzzing, as mentioned by another poster here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb 2D HD TV, 3 Dec. 2011
Just picked up this TV, so it needs to bed in for 200 hours, but after two days of viewing I can assure anybody considering this TV that:

1. There is no fan noise unless you stand round the back and put your face within two feet. Not at all an issue.
2. No fluctuating brightness - sorted by firmware upgrade.
3. Sound is no better or worse than any other modern TV.
4. PQ is amazing and it's still settling.
5. SD looks pretty good, but the HD Freeview Tuner and Sky HD via HDMI are to die for.
6. Haven't put a Blu-ray on yet, but I can only imagine how amazing it will look on screen at 1080p, compared to the 1080i content I have watched so far.
7. Watched the football earlier on Sky Sports HD, absolutely superb - perfect motion, no blur, just brilliant.

Great value, great TV, the top end choice for a 2D only TV.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic TV, 12 Jun. 2011
After a lot of research and also tried many 3D TVS this is the best TV by far.
Dont get sucked in with 3D as I have also owened the GT version of this Panasonic, and I can tell you that the picture is not as good.
For people who just want to watch TV and maybe a little youtube this is the one, It picked my wireless router up no problem, with a wireless adapter.

The picture is awsome, even on council TV ! ....2D RULES.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning pictures at an amazing low price, 6 Feb. 2012
Mr. P. Whelan - See all my reviews
I am a keen Home cinema enthusiast, and I keep up with all things TV. I got this set based on many positive reviews which I found on all the good tech websites. If you are looking for an affordable 42" non-3D TV, then this is it.

The Panasonic G and V series plasma TVs are probably the best consumer focused TVs on the market. You will not get anything close to them picture wise from any LCD TV.After a few calibration tweaks this TV really really shines. The pictures are effortlessly natural, especially skin tones. The colours are very very accurate. The shadow detail/black level (which is the most important function for good pictures)is as good as it gets without spending £30K + on a top class projector. I have never seen better sublety and finesse with darker material, therfore this set is really stunning for watching films.

It doesn't have the same retina-burning brightness level that some high gain LCD sets have, but those in the know will understand that this is a good thing.
If you buy this TV you will NOT be disappointed.
PS Unlock the Pro 1 & 2 modes using the menu's and get down with extra tweaking menu's. Spend a little while with some calibration tools and you will reap the rewards. It takes about 100 hours breaking in time before it performs at its best, so revist those calibration tools after a few weeks.
Best £500 I ever spent.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Is now the right time for 3D?, 7 Jan. 2012
I decided to upgrade a 3 year old phillips 32" and my Girlfriend was at first concerned that the screen size would take over the living room, this fear was managed by Panasonics Viera AR App for iPhone which places a virtual TV in your room, wall mounted or pedestal ([...])

There are enough reviews on the pedigree of the Tv's Tech so will discuss my buying dilemmas!

I was torn between this and the 3D model TX-P42GT30B but have decided now is not the right time for 3D for the following reasons:
1) The upcoming 4k 'no glasses' 3D TV's which are just coming to market and no doubt will be 'affordable in a couple of years time. Therefore who needs glasses at an additional cost, and the hassle factor of wearing them when the technology is already here where you don't need them.
2) The seeming lack of 3D content to support the TV's, why pay a 1/3 more for a feature you may not use that often.
3) I was also put off having heard that the brightness levels experienced through the glasses is reduced, therefore what is gained by 3D content is taken away with picture quality.

With Virgin Tivo the 1080i pictures are sharp and vivid, the SD Tv is extremely detailed for a screen this size and the HD freeview looks awesome. I have yet to try out bluray as i have been too busy with all the content available on the Smart TV aspect Viera Connect, a great addition which will improve with time, addition of more 3rd party Apps and firmware upgrades. No Doubt there will be more 'wishlist' technology showcased at CES 2012 but all at inflated early adopter prices! This model does everything you could possibly wish for and more to boot (HDD recording, SD card slot for viewing photos and videos which produces stunning quality family slideshows) At £499 this is an AMAZING price!! a great interim TV until 3D tech evolves.

Don't get drawn in by 3D yet this is a Top of the Range Set at a Bargain Basement Price!!!