Format: Blu-ray|Change

This, ladies & gentlemen, is one of Nicolas Cage's finest films - it has everything for the dry laconicist: wit, dark humour, & collection of killer (literally) punch-lines. Admittedly, I've always been a huge fan, so in keeping with such, this review is somewhat partisan.
This is a vigilante movie - plenty of bad-mouthed dialogue, which isn't so much offensive - rather more delicious in its employment. Cage's co-star in this epic 'Hell on wheels' extravaganza, is the delightful Amber Heard ('Piper'), & the third & equally down-played, William Fichtner (who plays, 'The Accountant').
This is high-octane stuff, not overly sentimental (which unfortunately insinuates itself into so many action films), & most significantly, finely acted by the three principal actors, mentioned.
I am not going to spoil the plot for you - not even so much as a synopsis. This is a compelling watch, & one hopes will be recommendation enough for you to purchase. It is not expensive for a Blu-ray, & with this particular version, comes in both 2D & 3D format - I have a 3D media set-up, & it definitely gives the film an edge.
For the film buffs (of which I count myself in that small enclave), there is adequate 'behind the scenes' footage - which is both humbling & honest.
At the time of purchase (last month) I paid just under £7.00 for this superb film - snap one up whilst you have the chance - you will not be found wonting !!
on 8 July 2011
Fuelled from the start with attitude, adrenaline and swearing this action movie delivers energy, thrills and stuff to look at, but it is shallow. The beautiful Amber Heard stars alongside the ageing Nicolas Cage, and this is the film's best element. William Fictchner (Prison Break) also stars, alongside other foolish comic like characters and muscle cars.

The pursuit for ballsy all out action is at the forefront throughout and is drone worthy if you are not in the brainless mood. Drive Angry is silly but entertaining, almost amusing in it's content box-ticking (sex, cars and guns). The film for me reinforces my loathing for Cage - a terrible hard man and easy to criticise again in this black coffee drinking aloof role.

If you want all out action, with a pretty girl, a car, Cage and comic styled action then this will be a hit with you. If you think a slo-mo sex and fight scene with comical kills sounds amusing, then this is one drive you should take.
on 8 June 2014
THE MOVIE

One of my absolute favorite movies. I've seen it about 100 times already and it never gets boring.
The mix of revenge story and occult thriller works out fine in my opinion.
Both lead actors Nicolas Cage and Amber Heard in one of the best performances of their careers, although William Fichtner steals the scene every time he makes an appearance. His character is just hilarious. Tom Atkins makes an appearance as the police Captain.
Directed by Patrick Lussier, who brought us MY BLOODY VALENTINE 3D, this is one of the most well-paced action movies I have ever seen with genuinely likeable characters.
There's some ultra violent scenes, but the violence is stylized and comical and the CGI blood doesn't look that real. Lot's of humor and good one-liners and some really interesting ideas. Loved it!

RATING: 10 / 10

THE BLU-RAY

Reviewed version: 2011 Lionsgate Double Play Edition UK Blu-ray in 2D
Feature running time: 104 mins. (uncut)
Rating: R (MPAA) / 18 (BBFC)
Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1
Audio: English DTS 5.1
Subtitles: English for the Hearing Impaired
Chapters: 12
Extras: 2D and 3D version, Audio Commentary, 2 Featurettes, Deleted Scenes
Region: B (locked)

Picture quality: A (state of the art picture quality)
Audio quality: A
Extras: C (average extras, but the commentary's nice)
Again i must admit i've followed 'Nicolas Cage's movies since his early classic's such as 'The Rock' 'Con-Air' and one of my all time favourites 'Face/off'
'Drive Angry' see's 'Nicolas Cage' at his very best with this 'tongue-in-cheek' roller-coaster-ride.
'Milton'(Nicholas Cage) has escaped from 'Hell' to save his grandchild from the evil-cult that had killed his daughter and who intend offering the child as a sacrifice.
'Milton' is joined on his quest by 'Piper' (Amber Heard) a young-lady who is certainly not afraid to ''mix-it''
Throughout they are being tracked by cult members intent on stopping them, as the body-count mounts the police are also on their trail as is ''The Devil's'' accountant (William Fichtner)
The 'accountant' contents himself with the body count but still wants to re-capture 'Milton'
This is a fast moving deliciously wicked action thriller with many brilliant on-the-road stunts to enjoy....along with some great c.g.i .....not to be missed.
on 1 March 2016
This movie is like marmite you either love it or hate it I loved it perfect role for Nicolas Cage these types of roles suit him down to the ground such a brilliant actor underated in my opinion and of course he is supported by the beautiful Amber Heard in this movie if you like cage's movies in his early days then you will love this.
on 23 November 2011
I bought this as I was looking for some decent 3D blu rays to show on my new 3D tv. Other reviews said the 3D effects were good so I went for it and as Nicolas Cage is usually in some decent films I thought it was worth the risk, despite the naff title.

Well,the 3D was very good with lots of "pop out" action. However, the storyline itself was very confused and almost back to front with you having to wait til the end of the film to make much sense of it. It was also a case of the viewer having to suspend belief on a massive scale! For example, there is a lot of violence with much being made of the thudding impact of the punch ups to the actors faces - including male on female violence. Then when you see the effects - they dont have a scratch on them! It is quite laughable in places and I had to stop myself from laughing out loud - well, thinking about it I did actually laugh out loud! Also, there is a scene where shots are being fired at close range with a huge shotgun - and they all miss!

The storyline attempts some pathos but I found it very false and contrived so it didnt have any impact on me. I actually found myself feeling sorry for Nicolas Cage having to act out such a ridiculous plot! I got the feeling that he must have needed the cash when he made this one.

Wont be watching it again. If you want a really good 3D Blu ray to show off the 3D effects of your TV get Ocean World. Other than that, leave this one alone.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 6 September 2013
Nicolas Cage does it from time to time. OK! He does it quite often, he makes movies where he is having so much fun you kinda wish you could just run alongside him and have the same experience. Drive Angry infuriated as many people as it entertained, and in terms of those being entertained we are talking about your straight out action film fan who isn't interested in character depth, allegories or political/religious agendas. If you can take it like Nic obviously did, and indulge in some cartoon/exploitation carnage without hope of thematic thrust, to embrace the absurdity of it all, then Drive Angry comes delivered on a petrol lighted silver platter.

Director Patrick Lussier and the cast, including a clearly "too good for this crap" William Fitchner, are unapologetic about what they are making. We are after all talking about a film where the plot line reads as Nic Cage playing a vengeful father who escapes from hell and chases after the Satanists who killed his daughter and simultaneously kidnapped his granddaughter. Cue much gratuitous nudity, over-the-top action, some sex, extreme gore, car racing erections and violence that Tarantino probably wet dreams about. It's all a bit too intentionally trashy at times, and it loses impetus later in the day, but as mucky and lobotomised as it is, it's the fun kind of trash. 6.5/10
Having seen My bloody valentine 3D back in 2010, i decided to have a look at Lussier's new action filled thriller called Drive Angry.

Ive never been a big fan of Nic Cage cause his acting is sometimes over-reactful and his quotes are annoying (for example OH GOD NOT THE BEES! AARGH!!!! from Wicker Man (2006) ) Drive Angry is about an undead criminal Milton (Nicholas Cage) who escapes from hell to save her granddaughter from an evil cult leader Jonah King (Billy Burke, Charlie Swan from Twilight-series). Milton's daughter joined the cult after high-school and he didn't know about this untill Milton got locked up.

Milton meets a super-hot waitress Piper (Amber Heard, Mandy from All the boys love mandy lane). She gets involved to mess and she gets quiet temper with Milton in situations. During the course of Drive Angry there's a great set of violence, humour, suspense, sex and drugs (including a scene where Milton has sex, drinks and shoots thugs during the way)

Some of the CGI is over-rated, but that's what makes Drive Angry more badass!

Result 5/5= You should get it, it's worth it. Great for saturday nights if you just want to drink pint and enjoy a good flick!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 12 July 2011
For the life of me, I can't see why some reviewers are so determined to rubbish this movie. Personally, I thought it was a load of fun from start to finish, and definitely the cinematic equivalent of a modern graphic novel (I mean in its action and plot logic).

Cage was excellent, as always, and Amber Heard certainly should be moving on to bigger and better things.

I rented this, enjoyed it, and will be buying a copy to enjoy again, even if I don't share the fact with many of my highbrow friends!!!
on 11 August 2013
I'll watch Nick in anything so when I started watching this and got the immediate impression that I'd bought another duffer (thanks to the music and confusing start) but I decided to give it a go. He's not the only "name" in the film and showed that both he and Amber Heard can act even in badly directed crap like this. But if you think about it actors get the occasional weekend off when their agents might phone them up and say, "Fancy having a laugh and getting paid a few dollars doing a really bad film - should only take a weekend to shoot?"
"I'm at a loose end so let's give it a go then lol".

Anyway, back to the film. The action scenes are fine, the main actors act and the music and directing along with the story are truly dire. Might be better in 3D and really doesn't need to be an 18 as it's not scary and Amber is welcome to come round mine and swear at me all day long. BUT.............it's Amber Heard in shorts and a few nice muscle cars thrown in, and I got it to my home for less then 2 quid so 3 stars from me.