5.0 out of 5 stars Still unique and personal
Dear Dido and shoppers.
Congratulations and well done are hardly worthy words of an amazing follow up to your first album, which was such an oasis in an otherwise overwhelmingly commercial market, leaving little room for the individual artist. It is not just the voice, lyrics or musical accompagniment - it is the combination. And may I say, it works for very few, but...
Published on 6 Mar 2004 by hbuchleitner

1.0 out of 5 stars Copy Protection
Great music, shame about the copy protection. Don't buy this if you want to listen to it on a Rio/iPod or other similar portable music device.
Published on 1 Oct 2003 by paul53417

‹ Previous | 1 2 324 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Uplifting-but not distracting, 21 Feb 2004
This review is from: Life for Rent (Audio CD)
I really like this album, it may not be as good as No Angel but if she had released this first she would still have been as popular. I find it great for doing work to, the music is soothing but has enough of a beat to keep me interested and it doesn't distract me from that all important essay!
Not as good as No Angel but still a quality album that won't just be left in the CD rack!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dido - Life For Rent. Bloomin' marvellous., 20 Feb 2004
This review is from: Life for Rent (Audio CD)
I fell in love with Here With Me and Thank You, tracks from No Angel, the minute I heard them, as did everyone I expect. At the risk of sounding arrogant, the two songs I mention by name are the two that may be argued to be the most over-played. Even so, it was a very tough first album to follow up, but of course Dido did not disappoint.
Both albums are reasonably similar - even down to the album covers. Dido has not tried anything dramatically different, but why should she? The odd Porstishead-like trippy beats and smooth acoustic guitar rhythms are what Dido does, and I don’t think it’s possible for anyone to say she's not good at what she does.
Life For Rent was the first Dido album I bought out of the two because I wanted something to sing along to in the car; to relax to but that gave me some stimulation, a metaphorical tightening of my bra straps to give me some emotional uplift. Life For Rent is calm, melodic, and impossible to turn off half way through. The sweet harmonies and emotive yet slightly dark lyrics make you really think about what you’re listening to. Dido has produced a superb addition to any CD collection. I don't want to give this album a kind of 'use', but weather it’s to play while you chill out in the garden on a summer evening or create a relaxed atmosphere at a dinner party, Dido - Life For Rent, certainly fits the bill. I love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 10 Jan 2004
This review is from: Life for Rent (Audio CD)
Dido's surpassed herself again, this is easily up there with No Angel. Ignore those saying copyprotection creates problems for making mp3s, all you need is to get musicmatch jukebox and your problems will be solved - reads/encodes and tags them perfectly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Some great songs, 6 Oct 2003
This review is from: Life for Rent (Audio CD)
I agree with the reviewers who say that this is the same sort of stuff as she put out on No Angel, but you can't deny the brilliance of some of the songs here. She certainly seems to have set a template of straight talking verses and a catchy chorus, a formula which works to deadly, and sometimes beautiful, effect on this, her second LP.
Many will be drawn by lead-off single White Flag, which few could argue is a majestic song with a nagging, addictive melody. But it's what comes after it that really makes this a worthwhile purchase. Particular songs to look out include See You When You're 40, which has a truly heart-stopping piano break in the middle, and Sand in Your Shoes, the closest she's ever got to emulating the sort of sound that brother Rollo's band, Faithless, have made their own. Also look out for easily her best vocal performance on Don't Leave Home. Many who questioned the power of her voice will surely crawl away to hide under a rock when they hear her sing the song's core line: 'I will be your safety'. It's easily the defining moment of the album.
Sure, we've heard it all before, but that doesn't make it a bad record. For me, it's been one of those addictive records that you can play over and over and find little intricacies and nuances that you didn't hear the first time. It's simple: Dido's music is honest and direct - and long may she continue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 6 Oct 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Life for Rent (Audio CD)
After a long wait for this album I can say that it was more than worth it!!.. yes.. more of the same, but if you are a Dido fan then you will not be dissapointed. A good mixture of tempo's and easy listening.. it is a must album for the car!

1.0 out of 5 stars Copy Protection, 1 Oct 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars Angel, 9 Sep 2003
This review is from: Life for Rent (Audio CD)
After a stunning debut album, written and recorded in absolute anomousity, it's almost impossible to come up with a competitive follow-up. Most other sing&song/writers failed completely before (alanis morissette, jewel, ) so for Dido again the pressure was extremely high.
I just heard the album and believe she really managed to prove otherwise. The album is sweeter and more rollo-influenced than 'no angel'. The songs are less angry and show the more 'angel' side of Dido. Dido got a bit older, a bit more serious and the songs and lyrics can tell. Top tracks are the titletrack 'life for rent', singe 'white flag' and 'see you when you're 40'.
Just like 'no angel', this is a record that should be in each ones collection..

1.0 out of 5 stars Copy Protection takes away my rights..., 29 Sep 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Life for Rent (Audio CD)
I already had 9 of the 11 tracks downloaded through the Internet. Anyway I wanted to have the full album and bought it today. When I drove back and put it into my car stereo it didn't play! So I drove back to return it and get my money.
I really like Dido and I love her music but with this try by the record industry to prevent me from listening to it wherever I want it the record industry disqulifies itself.
So I will get the missing tracks somewhere else but I will not buy this CD as long as there is this copy protection.

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely ridiculous, 29 Sep 2003
This review is from: Life for Rent (Audio CD)
I'd just like to add myself to the ranks of people who would have bought this album were it not for the copyright protection. Ive just checked, and yes, this album is already on the internet in all its glory, so its not even a matter for debate as to whether the copyrighting has any effect whatsoever. Personnally I like to buy the music I listen to, but were I not such a good boy I would be very tempted to download it instead so that I can actually listen to it on my computer. I'm not sure if the artists have any say over whether their albums have this copyright protection but I strongly urge any who may be reading not to be taken in by such a short-sighted and so painfully obviously a counterproductive measure. However, for anyone wishing to buy this album who isn't bothered by it, I'm sure its great!

2.0 out of 5 stars Great album, ruined by copy protection, 7 Nov 2008
David Powell (Wales - UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Life for Rent (Audio CD)
It's been over 5 years since this album was released. Everyone who wanted to pirate will have already have done so. So why no copy protection free/iPod friendly re-release (like for Jem's finally woken)?

The album itself is very good (4 star), but the sound is more closed in which robs some of the emotion from Dido's voice and overall dynamics when compared to No Angel.

This is probably a side effect of the aggressive copy protection, as I've observed this before on other albums (but not on the copy protection free versions of the same albums).

So all in all, best described as a good album being played on the other side of a stud wall. A real shame.

‹ Previous | 1 2 324 | Next ›