5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing else comes close!
I spent a year or more researching flat screen TV's, that includes visiting stores to check out the latest releases & friends who had just purchased as well as endless online articles & reviews.
I wanted to get the best my budget would allow.
I finally decided on LED technology as not only was the picture bright and clear, it also used hardly any power...
Published on 18 May 2011 by Kez Stone

3.0 out of 5 stars Love at first sight, but ......
I purchased this TV back in June (from a High Street store purely for the convenience of collecting it)and I was instantly blown away!

Published on 4 Sep 2011 by MH, Surrey

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing else comes close!, 18 May 2011
Kez Stone "kezstone" (uk) - See all my reviews
I wanted to get the best my budget would allow.

Out of all the LED TV's Samsung seemed to be streets ahead of the competition.
I finally decided on the UE37C6530 series 6, it had everything, in-depth picture tweaking, internet access (albeit via Samsung Apps) and the ability to link wirelessly with other equipment. I bided my time waiting for the price to drop knowing that the new series 6D was just around the corner.

Then to my amazement Samsung released this years series 5D, it had all the features of the previous series 6 and then some. On checking with Samsung the panel and supporting technology actually surpassed the series 6. It was also cheaper, so with no hesitation I purchased this model.

Setting up the TV is a breeze. The build quality of the set and stand is superb and went together in seconds!

Picture:
The initial picture was excellent but still slightly too vivid for my living room.
The picture menu settings are easy to access & follow and after an hour or so fine tuning I can honestly say I have the best picture I have ever seen on a TV.
The detail and clarity is phenomenal. I only have it connected via RF so I get the normal SDTV and 4 HD channels. The up-scaling technology used on the standard SD channels is nothing short of a miracle. There are virtually no artifacts whatsoever, even on the poorest reception.
The HD channels as expected are breath taking.
The difference between SD & HD on this model is very slight, I just don't know how Samsung have done it.
There is no judder and virtually no motion blur (I say virtually because on one of the poorest channels I did notice just a tinge of blur on high speed action...but I can safely say that was the broadcast quality and not the TV - on everything else it's SO smooth)
Clearly Samsungs new 'CMR' technology works!
The depth of field in the picture has to be seen to be believed, you really do feel like you're there.
The colour perfomance is truly remarkable and the depth of the black unbeatable.
The picture is undoubtedly the best I have seen on any 37inch LED screen.

Sound:
This is where you see the most complaints about Samsung the `tinny' sound. What people confuse with `tinny' is actually just a sound system that has been tuned far too bright.
The top end causes sibilance so `s' type sounds can be quite piercing.
Fortunately Samsung include a basic graphic EQ section within the sound menu. I quickly raised the bottom end and took the top two bands right down and achieved an excellent near studio quality sound. Even with the volume right up the speakers stood their ground, no distortion or loss of depth in a TV barely 3cm deep Samsung have clearly worked some serious magic here!
The `surround sound' feature is also excellent adding even more depth especially to movies.

External:
I hooked up a cheap DVD player and the results where outstanding. I then tried various formats via USB, not one hiccup and the quality simply blew me away.
I've yet to purchase a Bluray player but I've no doubt that the results will be excellent.
You can also have completely separate picture settings for each EXT input and the TV will remember them...awesome!

Internet:
I have only connected via the wired LAN so far (I was hesitant to purchase the separate Wifi dongle until I had judged internet content) but I was able to access various apps, also Google, Facebook, ect; BBCiplayer was incredible, the quality was excellent.
This model doesn't feature the full blown web browser as I first thought, that feature is currently only available on series 6 up but it may be available via a later update, including a 4OD app and other promised apps (but i'm not going to hold my breath!)
Some of the features are gimmicky others very useful but all free from glitches.
As this TV has the ability to access various PC's and other wireless devices in the home I will be purchasing the Wifi dongle.

Cons:
There are only two things that niggled me, the first is that when changing channel it takes 3 seconds to load. This is certainly no slower than many other TV's on the market but I feel it's worth a mention. Also for some reason the `Teletext' doesn't always work (I tested this on 2 sets) I have no idea why and as it's not a feature I use it doesn't bother me.

Finally:
With the correct `ECO' settings which are especially useful at night in a darkened room the TV uses a mere 34 watts, on full blast with all settings on max it uses just 90 watts, so it's kind to the planet as well as your pocket. This is a big plus for me.

There are no downsides to this set, spend a little time tweaking those settings and you'll have the perfect picture & sound. The picture quality is simply mind blowing. The sound is excellent and the `Smart' features take this set into a league of its own. To my mind there is nothing currently on the market in this price range that matches this set for features, performance, build and quality. It Truly is superb!

Yes this is a long review but i feel this TV deserves it and if you're anything like me then you want to know as much as poss before you part with your cash.

I'm willing to share my settings just drop me a message.

A fantastic TV at a fantastic price don't hesitate just buy it, you'll have no regrets!

5.0 out of 5 stars outstanding set as long as you are willing to forget 3D, 3 July 2011
M. Taylor - See all my reviews
i always do way too much research before buying anything technology related, and this TV is no exception. Having spent 3 hours trying every 3D configuration there is (LG cinema vision, panasonic, samsung and sony shutter glasses) 3D really is not ready for prime time yet, there are too many compromises and expense in all but the LG case. as soon as i realised that 3d really wasnt something i needed, i then began to hunt out the best 40 or 42" set i could. Its remarkable how much cheaper non 3D sets are at the moment. The other big requirement was connectivity, and this set really doesnt let down in this area.

So whats good, the picture is amazing, seriously amazing, watching Coast on BBC HD demonstrates just how good the upscaling is on this set, its easily comparable with any native 1080p Blu Ray disc and utterly jaw dropping, as impressive is the performance with SD content (Normal non hd-tv) lets face it, a lot of viewing will be done using this resolution and again, the processing is outstanding, no smearing or pixelation, even with lots of action going on. Next up connectivity, this set offers most of the samsung smart tv features, it DOES NOT support timeshift - pause and replay live tv OR and sort of recording television, definitely a nice to have but not a deal breaker. It does an excellent job of playing content from USB hard drive (although you may need a long usb cable or somewhere to prop your drive due to the location of the connection) playing back videos from the drive is excellent, although DivX support is limited, mkv files play great bizarrely it plays everything my PS3 wont play, so im quite happy.

the biggest moment of surprise (having watched iplayer on a wii and ps3 for the last couple of years) is the iplayer app, at first look it seems a bit low res (the interface) but playback, as long as your internet connection can take it, is stunning, im not sure how they do it, but it seems flash has been taken out of the equation, my kids wanted to watch chuggington and when i queue it up and watched i stood there speechless for a while, outstanding quality.

all in all im very happy with the set, one word of warning, Edge lit LED tv screens are renowned for clouding (smudged patches on very bright scenes) this is fact of life on an LED set at the moment, my set is no different on bright white scenes there is a very slight smudged darker patch on the screen but you have to look hard to see it. It doesnt bother me at all and in some cases will settle with use. if this sort of thing bothers you then maybe look or something other than LED. Other than that i am a very happy customer i make this essential purchase if it fits your requirements (e.g. smart TV but no 3D)

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome - absolutely stunning, 17 Jun 2011
This review is from: Samsung UE46D5520 46-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p 100Hz LED SMART Internet TV with Freeview HD - Charcoal Black (Electronics)
I'm no expert, but I do like to watch a good movie of an evening and I like to do it without breaking the bank. I looked at different reviews for different TVs for quite a while before replacing my well-loved, but now long-in-the tooth Hitachi 42' plasma, bought about 6 years ago. I took delivery of our new Samsung UE46D5520 and although it has only been a few days since I ripped the box open and set it up, all I can say is that I am blown away by the quality of build, the sheer stunning look of the thing and the fabulous colour, contrast and vibrance of the display.

I work at a Mac all day and I have the largest brightest Mac LCD monitor you can get, so although I don't know much about TVs, I guess I think I know what a good picture should look like, and the Samsung does not disappoint. The Samsung is just beautiful. I know that there are bigger TVs (a lot bigger) but for my room the ultra thin ultra flat TV is truly a cinema experience... better even if I'm being honset. And so thin. At 2.7cm... yes that's right... 27mm, it almost looks as if it is too thin to support its own weight. Not that it is heavy, it is incredibly lightweight and I can easily see this being mounted on the wall with just about any suitable bracket. In fact I hope I am not going out on too much of a limb, when I say that this TV is almost a science fiction experience in itself, and that's before you have even turned it on, with the ultra black screen, almost darker than the Stanley Kubrick's 2001 monolith. I have pared it with a mid priced Sony Blu-ray and surround system and so for more or less £1000 in total I have what I think is a brilliant set up. My advice is, forget 3D, that technology is not really market ready yet, save the 3D experience for the cinema where it is almost nearly there, it'll give you headaches anyway, go instead for this, bargain of the century and you will never look back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing TV, Not a Single Negative Point!, 2 Jun 2011
After reading the only other review for this product, I was slightly worried about this particular TV. First of all I advise using first class delivery as the 'free super saver' took a week!

After unboxing, it was clear that the set looks absolutely stunning! The TV is insanely thin and the stand looks great too. I used the 'samsung ultra slim wall mount' as it hangs like a picture frame sitting tightly up against the wall, taking advantage of the slimness. After plugging in the TV aerial and ethernet cable the TV essentially sets itself up! It found all my normal freeview channels and the 4 extra HD channels look AMAZING. The screen is absolutely fantastic even though LED is said to be inferior. Even the standard definition channels have been upscaled so the quality is great. It is so easy to use and the guide feature is one of the best i've seen, allowing me to watch a channel whilst seeing whats on any other channel for a week in advance! I was amazed with smart hub which allows me to go on facebook, daily motion and even google maps at the touch of a button! The remote is fantastically simple and the touch buttons at the bottom of the TV are great too. The 1080p is beautiful (BBC HD is the only 1080p channel as the others are 1080i) but I haven't seen a more crisp display than this!

All in all, I was put off initially by the price but since it has arrived, I haven't found a single negative so I would advise this TV to anyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars You won't be dissappointed!, 16 Aug 2011
I ordered this TV from Amazon on Saturday 6th August '11, using the free delivery option and it arrived on the 9th in the middle of the 1 hour delivery slot........faultless service!
Assembly is easy, just a matter of fitting the stand and the solid, the precise fit of the stand immediately gives one confidence in the product.
Once in position it looks as good as any TV, the extra-slim bezel gives it a handsome appearance and it does not look the slightest bit overbearing in a corner of a 12'x12' room. I was a bit worried that that it would be too big, so I nearly opted for the 32" version, but now I am really glad that I didn't!
I am extremely pleased with the performance of this TV. I used to repair TV sets in the CRT days so I would claim to have some ability to make objective judgements. For the last week I have tried to find any weakness.......and failed! I can't fault the picture at all. It's bright, clear and accurate. Flesh tones appear more realistic and the viewing angle is much better than on my other TV, a Samsung LE32C530. I've checked for backlight bleed, which seems to be the chief complaint from owners of edge-lit LED TVs, but even if I completely darken the room and look at the darkest pictures, the corners of the screen are hardly any brighter than the centre. Of course there is no buzzing - a common fault with the larger LCD models. I've tried different picture settings (such as those recommended by other reviewers) and come back to the `Standard Picture' default settings except for turning down the simple colour and tint controls a couple of notches each. I think the performance both on SD and HD channels is as good as you're going to get for the money and it's difficult to see how it could be any better by going upmarket. The picture, through a SCART connection from an ageing Sharp Freeview PVR is surprisingly impressive. I haven't tried using the HDMI inputs yet.
I am sure you will find an acceptable setting for the sound. Personally, being a bit deaf, I find that SRS enabled plus `speech enhanced' is better for me than I've heard on any other TV, but obviously this setting will not suit everyone.
In summary, I can't find anything wrong with it, I thought the LE32C530 was worth four and a half stars, but this is better, so I'll give it five!

4.0 out of 5 stars A smart tv in every sense, 4 July 2011
As a technophobe it takes me a long time to make such purchases as this tv. I spend forever reading reviews and checking out prices etc. I have owned this tv for a month now and it is smart to look at and a smart buy, as well as being smart by having 100hz led technology with the internet wifi facility. So easy to hook up to my network with my joint purchase of the plug in stick recommended by Amazon and all for a nice saving over other suppliers. The picture and sound quality are very good after playing with the settings and even on the BBC iplayer HD I have only had one instance of a break in viewing whilst the downloading caught up again. The ease with which I can network to my pc to view my pictures in comfort, or to just plug in a memory stick to the side of the tv to view directly makes this more than just a tv...a smart tv in fact!

3.0 out of 5 stars Love at first sight, but ......, 4 Sep 2011

The design is outstanding and sleek. It barely takes up a fraction more space than my old Samsung LE32R87BD did. Once fully connected and turned on the magic really began. I switched on my SKY+ HD box and the picture, on factory setting, was simply outstanding! The HD reproduction was unbelievable; even ITV's HD channel actually looking good. The picture from my Sony Bluray player finally made me understand what all the fuss is about. Inception and Up Blurays simply blew my mind away! SD reproduction was vastly improved, and sound is great too. I've not tried the Freeview picture yet so I can't comment on that.

However, after a couple days the novelty began to wear off! I noticed that the picture was a bit "soft" so I finally garnered the courage to play around with the picture settings. This was much easier than expected thanks to the easy to use menu. Using Kez Stone's excellent settings (Thanks!) I found a fantastic/sharper picture I was delighted with. However a couple of "annoyances" and a real flaw soon set in.

"Annoyance" no. 1: the screen is incredibly glossy, shiny and reflective. Watching tv on a bright day is a pain as my reflection can clearly been seen. Not pretty first thing on a Saturday morning!

"Annoyance" no. 2: sometimes when turning on the TV and SKY+ HD Box no picture is found. I have to turn off one or both and then switch back on in order to regain a picture. The same thing happens after watching a Bluray. Surely this shouldn't happen?! Any advice regarding this would be appreciated?

Real Flaw: My set suffers from the dreaded "torch light" fault. This is clearly visible in the left hand corner with fainter patches in the remaining corners and the middle of the screen. Unfortunately I never really picked up on this until the 30 day exchange policy expired and the idea of sending my tv away for up to 6 weeks is just a no go for a tv addict like me. Are there any settings which would minimise this flaw?

It's a real shame as under normal circumstances the picture is simply spectacular! The best on any tv I have ever owned without doubt. However, I can only give this tv 3 stars rather than the 5 stars a faultless version would richly deserve.

5.0 out of 5 stars Be aware of the limitations, 22 July 2011
D. Rendall (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Having just taken delivery of this TV and playing around with it for a day I have to say I love it, but there are certain things that you may wish to be aware of (regarding the smart hub/apps). I managed to get it all set up fine and watched a programme on the BBC iPlayer app. Then I wanted to try watching a film using the lovefilm app and this is where I had a problem. The app seemed to be working alright (if rather slow) but every time I tried to watch the film it would just crash. Eventually I decided to phone Samsung for help. After a 20 minute call to their customer service department their (final) only solution was to contact Amazon and get them to arrange for the TV to be repaired! As I thought this was a seriously extreme thing to do, considering the rest of the TV was working fine, I decided to look online for software update for the TV (I had already tried to do this on the TV itself, but this time I looked on my laptop at the Samsung website). I found an update for the software, downloaded it onto usb stick and managed to apply that update to the TV. Result: Lovefilm app now working as it should do! So I would suggest you do the same, should you decide to buy this TV.

One other thing to be aware of: there's no web browser included in the smart hub and because of this it isn't possible (at the moment, at least) to watch catch-up services like the itv player (there's no separate app for this either). There's the BBC iPlayer app, but nothing for itv or channel 4.

But other than the above, I'm loving my new TV :o)

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning!!, 20 May 2011
Bought this TV on Monday using Free Super Saver Delivery, arrived on wednesday. Very impressed with all aspects of the TV-

Very easy to setup.

Bright and crystal clear picture in SD and HD.

Internet features are great and very easy to use, the BBC Iplayer and Youtube Apps are very good and easy to navigate and the picture on the Iplayer is fantastic.

Although I had to connect the TV to the router with an ethernet cable, my laptop was connected wirelessly and I very easily connected to my laptops music, videos and pictures. This is an absolutely brilliant feature, I'm able to play all my music through my TV connected to my amp and speakers, without even getting up!

All in all, a very good bit of kit, buy one now!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellant, 7 Jun 2011
excellant value for money. Im no techno but for the price and what it does its great. Great picture, easy to set up and excellent for sound....Speedy delivery. I am really happy. My boyfriend likes seeing the tv out at higher price so he feels he got a good deal!!!!!