5.0 out of 5 stars A Tale that sings to your Soul..., 4 May 2011
Ms. L. Cdaligan "LauraRedWitch" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: An Ogham Wood (Paperback)
I absolutely adore this book. It is a rare, magical tale which weaves it's narrative into your very being with glittering threads. An Ogham Wood is a tale of love, loss, grief, redemption, the faerie faith, the earth, the sea, and what it means to have a soul. I felt moved to write a review for this book as I feel An Ogham Wood deserves to be read and re read by many, many people. I guarantee that whilst you are reading it you will have at least 'one foot in faerie!'

This book is a hero's tale with a human twist, showing that dark things can not only happen to good people, but sometimes must be done by good people, and the results of what this can do to the human psyche. It's a faerie myth which spans thousands of years and sings to your soul as well as firing your imagination.

I think the most striking thing about An Ogham Wood is that it feels real. To me this book is a real, living, breathing myth which grips you from the very beginning, til long past the last page. There are some things in life which just feel 'right', like they've always existed in some form or another, and we are simply waiting to rediscover them. This book, in the best possible sense is a beautiful example of one of these instances.

I love the characters, the folklore and I love the beautiful dark mysteries and light laughter of faery which are woven so well throughout this story. And yes, I was crying whilst reading it on the train, as I approached the final chapters...

The wonderful cover artwork by Marc Potts is absolutely beautiful and works with the book so well.

It's hard to sum up such a well researched, rich and emotive book, but all in all this story teams with ancient mystery, and is a must for those interested in magic, faery, or simply for those who enjoy a poignant love story...

I can't wait to read more of Cliff Seruntine's books...

5.0 out of 5 stars complaint!, 14 Feb 2012
This review is from: An Ogham Wood (Kindle Edition)
I have a complaint about this book! I was nearly late for work yesterday cos I HAD to know what happened next...I am an avid reader but this does not happen very often!

5.0 out of 5 stars A True Myth, 1 April 2011
This review is from: An Ogham Wood (Paperback)
An Ogham Wood takes you deep into the heart of Faery and the soul of humanity, on an intense emotional rollercoaster that will stay with you forever.

It is a true `Hero's Journey', following the at first unwilling struggles and adventures of Sweyn, an expert seaman with a dark past and a tormented mind. He finds himself swept into a tale that is bigger and deeper than that of any ordinary mortal, and finds that the future of many depends on his own redemption and embracing of destiny.

It truly is an expertly written novel, weaving seamlessly a tapestry of many times and worlds, building towards a heart-wrenching climax befitting the mythic proportions of the tale and characters. Both suspense and real magic are tangible throughout the whole book, teasing out hidden mysteries both of the inner world of the main characters and the outer world that they inhabit. In many places it moved me to tears, indeed tissues were required for most of the last quarter of the book, brought forth through pain, heroism and the exquisite beauty and sadness of the faery realm that the author, Cliff Seruntine, captures so perfectly. The tale flows so, that it feels as though it has always been, just waiting for the right person to bring it to manifestation...

If you love true magic, noble heroes with a dark side, beautiful maidens, mystery and adventure, with a sense of the truly epic, you will love An Ogham Wood.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ogham Wood, 27 Oct 2013
This review is from: An Ogham Wood (Kindle Edition)
Fabulous book. I agree with what everyone else has said. At first I did find the detailed description of everything a bit tedious but the further along I got I appreciated it as it helped me visualise the story. I loved all the twists. Oh! if only it were real! But I think it may be! I certainly look at everything outside now in a different light and somehow feel a little bit more respectful for nature, which can't be a bad thing..

4.0 out of 5 stars Get past the first few pages, there's a fantastic storey in there., 13 Oct 2012
Mr. K. Mast (Gloucestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: An Ogham Wood (Paperback)
I took a punt on the Kindle edition of this book, was thinking of giving the book up in the first pages as the detail in regard to sailing felt a bit tedious to me. However having persevered, the book really opened up into a fantastic storey, where I began to appreciate the use of the opening pages to set the scene, but would still cut this down to ensure that readers get into the storey proper sooner.

4.0 out of 5 stars I love this Book., 5 Sep 2012
Ml Oneill - See all my reviews
This review is from: An Ogham Wood (Kindle Edition)
I have to say that I love this book. It's the type of book (to me at least) that can let you escape reality for a while whilst incorporating the mythology of Faeries and all things Supernatural (which I already have an interest in anyway). The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because I was often checking the Kindle Dictionary for the meaning of quite a few words. But that may very well just be me, a lot of these terms are to do with Sailing so if you're a Sailor or just have a keen interest in Boats, then these terms shouldn't be a problem but a fair few others I didn't recognize. I have little knowledge on Sailing terms, despite Port & Starboard (why they can't use left & right of the boat/ship is beyond me). I don't like admitting this, but it's the one and only downside to this book (to me). This won't be the same for everyone as everyone can be different, but at the same time I would highly recommend this Book.

I look forward to reading anything else the Author has written or yet to write.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully spun tale, 31 May 2012
This review is from: An Ogham Wood (Kindle Edition)
A wonderfully rich book full of myth, magic and faery .
A re telling of the classic hero's tale but this magical one hooks you in and I was compelled to read it at every available moment.
If I had had a free day it would have been read in one sitting.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic read, 18 Mar 2012
This review is from: An Ogham Wood (Kindle Edition)
An Ogham Wood is a great read. It works on many levels - from adventure story to a teaching tale even, to some extent, as a guide to fairy land!
What the other reviewers say is all true however one thing detracts from my enjoyment... the author doesn't half go on about the hero in one particular context - we got the message the first time.
There really is no need to repeat a key element any tale several times; in this case it does not build drama - even though a little more detail is revealed each time - it is just irritating!
Will I read it again - yes, because aside from its flaw it is a good book and the kindle has a page forward button!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love fantasy, I love faeries, and I love this book!, 10 Nov 2011
This review is from: An Ogham Wood (Paperback)
An Ogham Wood is a beautiful tale which takes us deep into the heart of a magical world full of enchantment, mystery, love and sorrow, joy and pain.
It has it all...adventure, magic, a forest as old as time, good and bad faery creatures, nature spirits, good men and bad men, damsels in distress, and even an old fashioned witch.

The author, Cliff Seruntine, introduces us to the main character of this story, Sweyn , who is numb and heartbroken following a tragic love story.
Without hope and in search of oblivion he is unaware of his own destiny and the direction his life is about to take, for unseen forces and the magic of a hidden old world are at work.
As Sweyn sinks deeper into the mysteries of the Island of Manannan he struggles to accept that what is happening to him is no mere coincidence, and fails to realise that the future of an unseen magical world is interlinked with his own.

In this book, Cliff Seruntine's skilful use of the written word took me an emotional roller-coaster which had me laughing, crying and sharing the character's pain and joy, transporting me to the magical world of fairy from beginning to end.

I thoroughly recommend reading An Ogham Wood to anyone who enjoys fantasy and a bit of escapism, and I look forward to reading more of Cliff Seruntine's books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Escapism via romance, fantasy, and fairy, 15 May 2011
This review is from: An Ogham Wood (Kindle Edition)
First of all, I am delighted to say that this book is available on Kindle which is at the moment my preferred reading medium! I am also very pleased to see that not only is this a Kindle read, but the publishers have chosen to make the Kindle version a fraction of the paperback price, which of course it *should* be being that no paper is involved and no trees were harmed in the production of this book. Take note publishers with overinflated Kindle prices!

Secondly, it is wonderful to see Avalonia books publishing fiction, and I eagerly await many more fiction reads

An Ogham Wood is a romantic tale about a man who has recently lost his partner and who, remembering their lives together as he sails, accidently finds himself on the small island that she grew up on. As he finds out more about the island folk (whose lineage is Celtic and whose practises have not changed a great deal in the last few centuries) he in turn finds out more about his wife.

As the story unravels the fantasy element of this book begins to develop and the reader is transported into the world of the Fae through dryads, fairies, brownies, and other elemental spirits. Seruntine uses long and poetic descriptive narrative to describe the beauty of the island and its ancient woodland, and also peppers his chapters with his own poetry which helps set the scenery for the reader.

This is an escapist read full of romance, fantasy, and fairies.

An Ogham Wood