5.0 out of 5 stars Fitting Conclusion
Published 12 months ago by Octavius 1

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazing untill.. the ending !
From the start this game was fantastic....

The game play has been improved and it feels a lot smoother with the addition of the new 'hold down B' melee which is a great new edition.

Published on 18 Mar 2012 by Stephen Thompson

4.0 out of 5 stars Really cool, but what about the end?, 19 July 2013
This review is from: Mass Effect 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
It is a really cool game. Nice story, nice dynamics. I really appreciated the possibility to use the kinect to do come actions. Just the end of the game has no sense at all... (non of them, even with the alternative one). Nevertheless a really enjoyable game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fitting Conclusion, 18 July 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Mass Effect 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
There has been plenty of controversy regarding this games ending, however i found it to be a fitting conclusion to the series. Again the gameplay and graphics have been refined and the script is as good as ever, add that to a multiplayer mode which lets you play as different species and you have a winner. This is one of the best game series of our generation and i would urge people to try it out- start from the beginning as it is interesting to see how choices you made in the first and second games affect this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing game!, 25 Sep 2013
This review is from: Mass Effect 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
This is a great game if you've been a fan of Mass Effect in the past and followed the story. Commander Shepherd returns to finish the story that started many years ago. Again the gameplay is fantastic, controls are tight and graphics are phenomenal! The ending has left a huge amount of controversy to the series, but I feel doesn't detract from the entire experience on the whole. About 20hrs at least, not including all the side missions or the multiplayer. I would highly recommend you get this game! BioWare have done it again!

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazing untill.. the ending !, 18 Mar 2012
Stephen Thompson "SteThompson" (Leeds England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mass Effect 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
From the start this game was fantastic....

The graphics are also fantastic, i was most impressed with the graphics of the many different planets you can fly around in the Normandy and i was impressed with the graphics on the citadel as well. Furthermore, BioWare designed The Citadel very impressively, there are many different floors on it where there are different types of buildings on each, there are Bars, Hospitals and Embassies to explore with plenty of missions.

I have no quarrels with the companions, they all bring there own banter. There is a couple of new companions but most are ones from the previous games e.g Garrus who is my personal favorite, Liara- the sexy one, in a weird alien blue way- and Kaidan and Ashley. The only problem i have with the companions is the first day DLC in which BioWare made 800 MSP, and i thought the plot was too important to not put in the actual game which i thought was a bad move, the companion you get with this DLC is very good though.

The missions were all gripping and had excellent twists so i had no problem with those.

I loved the choices throughout the game, with the paragon and renegade options which i believed would impact the end of the game, this is why i made my choices carefully and i was looking forward to the outcomes.

I was bitterly disappointed with the ending.... all these choices i carefully chose and thought about had no impact at all. It had no impact which species you sided with or what your battle readiness was or how many fleets you had. You still ended up with the sam 3 endings to choose from, all of which were dreadful.... The 2 games before this were leading up to the very moment and it just wasn't good enough..... I just didn't care what happened to my Shephard or what happened to the Reapers or Earth because it just didn't make sense and the ending just flew over my head. I put 40 hours into this, explored every room and planet possible and this all counted for nothing in the final battle. It also, doesn't tell you what happens to your companions or Shepard after the battle. You just see them getting out of the downed Normandy and then it finishes.

I thought the ending to Mass Effect 2 was fabulous and i completed it 3 times, each time with a different outcome, i don't think i will complete ME3 again because i just don't care about the other endings because im just not bothered.
Very annoyed with BioWare with this unfinished and rushed ending to the greatest gaming trilogy of all time.....

2.0 out of 5 stars Controversy exists for a reason, 28 Feb 2014
This review is from: Mass Effect 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Bought this as I loved the last two and were the few games I could play again and again. I thought the controversy around this was simply the internet overreacting to a poor ending. I was wrong, all of the charm of the previous games has gone and insultingly all the decisions you agonised over in the previous game now mean absolutely nothing. The icing on the cake for me though had to be when I realised I could not even get most of the content and best endings unless I signed up to X-box lived and gave them even more money for DLC and multiplayer, pretty sickening, when I buy a game I expect to get access to all the content there. As such I never even made it to the controversial ending and traded it in. Gameplay and story weren't too bad I suppose, but not a patch on the previous games.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not like the others, a little bit annoying, 26 Sep 2013
This review is from: Mass Effect 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Im a big ME fan, I eat sleep and breath it. I have about 8 play-throughs on ME1 and 5 on ME2. I've held off making a review on this game until Ive properly played it. Im on my third play-through, and although its got some familiarity in characters, ships etc, its a different game altogether.

I'm quite a optimistic person, I like seeing the good things, so heres ME3 good points
-EPIC BEGINNING, EPIC ENDING.
-Nice little tweaks like weapon weight determining shield regeneration rate.
-Different sides of the citadel we havn't seen
-Get to see all the different alien homeworlds
-EDI replaces the geth team member, quite cool.

One word that kept describing how I felt when playing was ANNOYED, heres some examples

-You can't skip the cut scenes
-The loading screens on citadel are nothing to do with what you're doing so it cuts up play, disengages you
-There is a sticky cover system so when you are sprinting you don't run in a straight line
-This is the only rpg ever where I pressed 'automatic level up'. Its essentially the same abilities as ME1 and 2 with a really really irritating menu system
-There are INCREDIBLY annoying dream sequences that you have to take part in in which your movement is slowed down. They add nothing to the story and would have been perfect as a cut-scene.
-There is so much commotion, crash bang, OMG ITS THE END OF THE UNIVERSE and then you plod about here and there, picking up people, chatting on the citadel, wasting time. There is no momentum.
-There is a lot of high emotion, engaging tear jerk moments, but the game play is not very interactive.
-It is better described as a FPS. Citadel is tiny, not really worth bothering with.
-But unlike and FPS like for example Gears of War, there is such a disjointed process to actually get to the action. If you want a fire fight after completing a mission(I don't play online because I am poor), you have to leave the conference room, go though two rooms, security sweep thing which slows your movement down, through another door, then to the galaxy map, then travel, then land on the earth, watch a cut scene you can't skip, and you can start shooting.
-liara, what happened, we had such magical chemistry, now you stand a bit near me, and thats it?!?!? Maybe its me.
-I can't see much influence of the paragon renegade system.
-Game play is fine difficulty, then a boss level comes along, die, reload, die, reload, die ...3 hours later reduce difficulty. Seems a bit out of sync with the rest of it. *** I think its because Im infiltrator and point blank sniping aint much use.
-I was watching the cut scenes with facial close ups and I thought that the graphics were actually worse than in ME1 and ME2. Its slow, sometimes the person disappears out of the shot and its just the background.

3.0 out of 5 stars A great game ruined by a poor ending, 18 Mar 2012
This review is from: Mass Effect 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I'm going to keep this review short because I mostly have the same issues with the game as most others, the ending. The game itself is actually very good up until the last 10 minutes or so. It isn't quite as good as Mass Effect 1 or 2 but it's not a 1 star game by any means, the 1 star reviews are most likely just from bitter fanboys rather than people objectively rating the game. My one gripe with the gameplay is that it is too shooter based compared to the previous 2 games, almost every trace of RPG has been removed. There aren't as many places to explore and there isn't as much dialogue as in previous games, this dampened the experience of the game somewhat for me. It's already been said but the ending is very weak, none of the choices made in this game or the previous games matter at all and you basically choose from 1 of 3 endings, all of which are almost identical anyway. Some of the big plot resolutions at the end make no sense either and are laden with plotholes and the endings themselves offer absolutely no closure to a series that many people including myself have put upwards of 100 hours into. Overall, a good game with an unfortunate final 10 minutes that somewhat defeats the entire premise that the franchise was built on; choice.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing end to the series, 16 Mar 2012
This review is from: Mass Effect 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
So, having been a Mass Effect fan for a long time I bought this straight away when it was released and played it through.

I wish now that I had waited and seen some reviews. Take it from me, the ending spoils what is otherwise a pretty good game. I loved the storytelling, the romances, the character bonding, the epic decisions and so on. The shooting element was reasonable, even if I think they got the balance a little off.

But oh my! Then came the ending. I don't know what I expected from a space opera like Mass Effect. Perhaps something like the ending of ME2, just bigger, longer and more emotional. Maybe your crew mates sacrificing themselves just so that you, Shephard, could get to the end and make everything right for the galaxy.

Instead I got Casper the unfriendly ghost and a choice of three buttons to push. Now, if one button had a happy ending, another a terrible ending and the third a sad, yet poignant finish to the game, I could have got behind that. I would have been happy, despite the terrifyingly bad anticlimactic feeling that Casper instilled in me. But instead of those three choices I got just one. The same one for all three choices. Tiny variations in the (horribly abrupt and curtailed) end scene do not make for a different ending. They are all identical to one another.

For a game that made a big thing out of player choice, the ending was just atrociously weak and unsatisfying and had zero player input. Everything you do up to that point, every decision you have made throughout the three games has absolutely no bearing on the ending. The ending is set in stone. Your choices do not matter at that point. You make your final choice and the game ends. Seriously, if they put a giant "Game Over" screen instead of the cut-scenes at the end, it would make no difference. There is no resolution, no consclusion. Just a hollow, empty feeling where you had expected something quite different.

Considering how bad the ending is, and how suddenly it is foisted on you, I have only a couple of theories to put forward.

Firstly, Bioware just made a lousy ending to the game. I find it difficult to believe anyone could screw up this much, so I doubt this is the truth of the matter. Which leads me on to my second thought.

That Bioware did this deliberately. That this is a test run for them. They have already given us the much grumbled about Day one DLC. Here, I think they're experimenting with Game End DLC. I'm fully expecting them to announce a (no doubt paid for) DLC that brings a proper conclusion to the game. A game that I have already paid for.

If they do this, I will, in all honestly, buy it and conclude the story. But I will hate them for it and not forgive them.

I won't pretend I will never buy another Bioware game again. Of course I will! But I won't buy it on release. Instead, I'll wait and watch, see what others think, then pick it up from a bargain bin someplace.

As to ME3 as a game. Enjoyable right up until the last minutes, which are best ignored.

Bioware dropped the ball on this one....off a cliff....with a falling tide.

EDIT FOR THE EXTENDED CUT: So Bioware made an extension to the endings. Well, they don't change anything, but it is less jarring and more satisfying now. Not that it could be less satisfying if it tried. There is more information and SOME of the plot-holes and stupidity are fixed. However, it is only by a small amount. It's how the endings should have been in the first place if they were determined to ram Casper down our throats. The endings are still terribly unsatisfying.

The worse thing about the whole mess is how Bioware has basically run away and hidden, then thrown a bone to the fanbase. There has been almost comments worth a damn from them about the whole fiasco. In the end, it is this which will make me view future Bioware products with extreme scepticism, more so than the ending to ME3.

Bioware? Buyer-Beware, more like.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good game, ruined by the last 15 minutes, 29 April 2012
This review is from: Mass Effect 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
The majority of the game, leading up to the ending was spectacular. If, like me, you had played the first two installments in the series, then the way they tied everything together and brought back characters from Mass Effect 1 & 2 (provided you'd imported a game, done their missions and/or kept them alive during the game) was wonderful. The graphics were brilliant - I didn't think they could get any better than Mass Effect 2, and I was proven wrong. The writing was, and always has been, brilliant, with a perfect mixture of hilariously funny and truly sad moments.

However, the ending managed to completely spoil the greatness of the rest of the game in one fell swoop. The main aspect of the Mass Effect series has always, from the beginning, been about choice, and giving the player the ability to shape their Commander Shepard (the main protagonist of the game) the way they want to, whether it reflects themselves as a person, or somebody they may aspire to be like. The end of the game is exactly the opposite of the Mass Effect series, because it completely takes away the player's choice, and basically negates every decision that the player has made throughout the past three games. It's as though everything that the player has done - over a span of approximately 100 hours of gameplay if they used an imported game from as far back as Mass Effect 1 - does not make a difference; it doesn't matter. Before its release, the game developers had specifically stated there would be up to 16 different endings to this game. There weren't 16 endings, there was 1. It may not have even been that bad of an ending if it hadn't just gone against all of the established lore in the Mass Effect universe. It was as though they had brought in a new set of writers just for the last 15 minutes of the game who had never played or read anything about Mass Effect. I'm not usually one to criticise continuity, but at the end of the game there were so many gaping plotholes it was impossible to ignore.

Another thing that I wasn't overly fond of in the game was the dialogue. The conversation trees that we had in the first two games were almost nonexistent, appearing every now and again so the player could choose the general gist of the conversation being had, and then it was just a case of sitting back and listening to it all being said automatically without any of the variation that could be had before (you could pick practically each line of dialogue you wanted your Shepard to say, ranging from kindly and charming, to neutral but diplomatic and then to sarcastic or rude). For this reason, my Commander Shepard, whom I'd spent over 100 hours playing with and shaping his personality the way I wanted, didn't feel truly mine anymore because I didn't have full control and influence over him as I had done in the previous two games.

Overall, the game is good, but with the addition of multiplayer it seems to be catering more towards the action/shooter genre rather than the RPG genre like the first two games. I'd have quite happily given this a 4 or 5 star review if I hadn't gone through the ending. But I did, and I felt it completely detracted from the brilliance of the rest of the game. If you're one of those people that lives by the ethos of 'it's not the destination, but the journey', then you will probably find this game exceptionally good. But for me, I just can't say I enjoyed the journey when the destination I arrived at was so overwhelmingly disappointing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't 'ignore' justified criticism., 11 Mar 2012
This review is from: Mass Effect 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I'll be honest, years of devoted gameplay and incredible storytelling is all destroyed in the space of two minutes. The game is fantastic, it really is. The ending however, is absolutely dire. For some, it ruins the game, for others, it ruins the whole trilogy, for most, its a sign of Bioware's ailing ability to keep a cohesive story together. The 'ignore the negative reviews' posters are extremely unfair and I suspect, instigated by Bioware/EA employees. The 'negative reviewers' as we have thus been labelled, have a very valid point to make. The culmination of the Mass Effect trilogy in this game is nothing short of depressing, upsetting and worst of all, a total contradiction to what we were told it was going to be. Don't 'ignore' the negative reviewers. Criticism is just as important, in fact some might say more important, than praise. Take what we have to say into account. The gameplay is very good. The ending is a colossal disappointment to many devoted fans out there. I can only hope Bioware fix the only thing that ruins this otherwise fantastic game.

Given comments about the amount of stars and the respectability of the larger game, I'll change my review to three stars to reflect the enjoyment I had with the shooter aspect. I don't detract on any of my former points, but I thank everyone who commented. I'll keep hoping Bioware do in fact change the ending.

Mass Effect 3 (Xbox 360)
Mass Effect 3 (Xbox 360) by Electronic Arts (Xbox 360)
9.99