I don't usually write reviews any longer but with this I will make an exception. I have not included any spoilers too.

A little background, I have quite a few hobbies, there's one I've had since I was 10 (I'm now 43), I've played computer games since (gulp), 1981. Yes, I get all the in-jokes in Wreck-it Ralf.

My advice, Buy this game. Why, buy...
Published 9 months ago by Mike Thomas

1.0 out of 5 stars Living With Origin
I love Mass Effect. It's sci-fi heaven with heaps of action, a deep plot and awesome cinemagrophy. However, as an overall product Mass Effect 3 has so far caused me more frustration and bitter disappointment than it has joy.

Published on 2 April 2013 by R. Wigginton

1.0 out of 5 stars Living With Origin, 2 April 2013
R. Wigginton (UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Mass Effect 3 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)

I'm totally mystified by Origins logic when they put this package together. I'll try to brief here. I'm leaving for work overseas the next day, so I go out and treat myself to Mass Effect 3 so I have something to play whilst away. It's the evening before my travels and I decide to get the game installed. In my experience most games install in about 10 minutes. But (and don't ask me why) Mass Effect 3 wants you to download the files! Yes, that's right, all ~10GB of them. You have this perfect, new-smelling DVD disc in the drive, but it's completely useless, because Origin thought we'd like that. My internet connection was used entirely by Origin's clever (?) install process for my remaining hours at home and to be honest there were other things I could've been doing.

Being wise to modern copy protection methods I had the savvy to run the game before leaving for work, knowing, chances are it'll ask me to activate. I ran the game, entered my serial code then, after getting to the main menu, exited and put Origin in offline mode. A few days later when outside the UK, I decided to play Mass Effect 3. Could I? No. For whatever reason, it was asking to be activated again. `Sign in with your Origin account to activate Mass Effect 3 on this computer'. But I already did that! It would be a week or so until I'd have a connection again. I activated it again when I next had the opportunity and it let me play for several days without a connection (Wow!). It wasn't to be the end of it though. After a short spell not playing, and again when I was internet-less, it decided to ask me for activation again. It's like watching a fantastic movie at the cinema, but then someone pauses it 20 minutes in and tells you to go home and wait a few days. All I want... is to play the game I bought.

From my experience, it seems Origin loses confidence in your initial activation after several days without a connection. I don't know why this is. But it's safe to say, those that acquire this game through less `honourable' methods, will probably have less bother. As a paying customer, I didn't even get the benefit of a disc install; I had to wait for the download, just like the software pirates. It's a shame that such a great title has been packaged by monkeys. I doubt I'll pay for anything with Origin's label on it again, Mass Effect or not.

1.0 out of 5 stars DRM Disappointment, 6 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Mass Effect 3 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I am a huge fan of Bioware's games and couldn't wait for ME3 but unfortunately I've not played it six months on from receiving it.

The digital rights management is worse than any product I've ever owned and involves installing launcher bloatware and signing up for accounts just to play what is in effect a single player game. Even most online only games don't make you jump through half as many hoops. I also work at sea where I have no internet. I play multiplayer games at home when I have a connection then take some single player games such as ME3 offshore with me, but of course ME3 cannot be played without an internet connection.

There was also a problem registering my key to my bioware account which their customer service team was very slow in helping with. In short after several frustrating hours trying to get it working I gave up and put it aside and will probably now never play it, which makes me very sad as the series was brilliant.

I rarely buy products outside of steam these days, and this has really emphasized why.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good... but stripped down compared to the previous two games., 8 May 2012
Paul (Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Mass Effect 3 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Mass Effect 3 contains some of the best written storytelling in videogame history. Unfortunately, the final moments of the game also contain some of the laziest and worst moments I can remember.

Up until the last half hour or so, the game is a breathtaking rollercoaster ride where the majority of the plot points from the previous two games are tied up skilfully in a satisfying way that connects well with whatever decisions you'd made in the previous games. If you'd saved this alien race, or that scientist's data, or sided with this faction over that faction, it was all remembered, recorded, reacted to, and made the universe seem unique to your own experiences.

The ending though makes little sense, features a badly written Deus Ex Machina ass-pull, and has events with repercussions that seem to render most of what you've achieved in this and previous games pointless. It left me feeling confused, annoyed, and gave me no sense of closure. The much trumpeted "TAKE BACK EARTH" slogan on all the advertising ultimately felt ignored, and the final message players are left with is to "Buy DLC" to continue the commander's adventures.

At that point I realised that though it was a rollercoaster ride, a lot of the previous games intricacies had been stripped away, railroading the player through what boiled down to be a big bunch of fetch quests. (31 quests (out of a total of 68) were fetch quests. Mass Effect 1 had more quests 73, and only 5 of them were fetch quests.)

A good story (until the end) but it doesn't really do justice to the series as a whole, and the all pervading sense of railroading only highlights what's been stripped out of this game.

For:
Fun Combat.
Giant Setpieces.
Great and funny voice acting.
Brilliantly written endings to Geth / Quarian / Krogan storylines.

Against:
No Ship Upgrades
No Mako / Hammerhead Planet exploration.
An important squadmate is held to ransom as Day One DLC.
Terrible ending to the overarching Reaper / Humanity storyline.
Less quests than previous games, and nearly half the quests are fetch quests.
Previous Journalist characters are removed in favour of a Tie-In with IGN.com
No Planet Scanning / Resource Gathering / Hacking minigames. Feels like the game is *only* combat.
Very small number of squadmates (Only 2 if you didn't save everyone in previous games and you don't buy the DLC character)

2.0 out of 5 stars Very mixed, 16 April 2012
P. Smithson (Cambridge) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Mass Effect 3 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Mass Effect 3 is very difficult to review because it hits boths glorious highs and abyssal lows.

The highs:

1. Gameplay is an extremely polished version of ME2s and is extremely fun with a wider variety of enemies and far more tactical scenarios available.
2. RPG elements are back with a far wider ability to customise armour and weapons and the options to trade power cooldowns for more or better guns.
3. Some of the mission sequences are truely awesome (and utterly heartbreaking)
4. Your squads intereacts with each other are funny/touching/heartbreaking and you always want more.

The niggles:

1. Origin is not the world's best system so be prepared to have to various sessions of restarting Origin and/or the machine in order to force the installation to complete. Once in the game I had no problems though so it is irritating rather than critical.
2. There is a bug with importing character faces so if you really attached to your character's face caution is advised.
3. The cutscenes are long, unpausable and unskippable so if (like me) your character's face glitches half way through it can wreck the whole scene.

The lows:

1. The endings are every single bit as bad as everyone says being not just bleak but also illogical and frankly incomprensible. Any attempt to explain them ends up with a wizard did it.
2. I hope you like fighting Cerberus because you will spend most of the game fighting them rather than the Reapers.
3. The 'best' ending is not acheivable in single player so you would either need to play MP or do the iOS app - alternatively just look it up on youtube.
4. The squad is very small so if you don't like a character or like Liara they have very little to say don't expect much interaction with your crew.
5. The autodialogue - choices on conversations is severely reduced in this game which can produce extremely odd effects like my Shepard flirting with one of the new squad despite being the next thing to married.

Conclusion:

As the game currently stands play it, enjoy and switch it off and the end of the final mission because what follows is a series of semi interactive cutscenes that destroy anything you ever cared about in the game franchise.

Alternatively wait for the extended cut DLC coming sometime this summer and see if that solves the problems.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a fitting end to an epic trilogy, story&emotionaly wise, 19 Mar. 2012
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Mass Effect 3 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
This game is marketed as the epic finale of a trilogy. As having wildly different endings. If you are expecting an end along the lines of ME2 or DA:O, you will be bitterly dissapointed. If you are expecting to be able to choose the fate of your hero and shape his/her story to the end, you will be bitterly dissapointed.If you are expecting an ending similar to other Bioware games, with enough divergence to warrant replayability and the creation of various stories with various Shepards, you will be dissapointed.
For a trilogy finale, it offers little closure, catharsis, or even sense.

To be fair, apart from that, the game is excellent and emotionaly engaging, apart some issues with the questlog.That only serves to make the jarring,disconected end much worse though.

If the ending,yes ending,singular, was more on par with ME2 or DA:O, I would definitely give this game a 5 star. As is, it leaves such a bitter taste in my mouth, it feels like such a slap on the face, that it sours the whole expirience.

3.0 out of 5 stars Its ok but somethings missing, 6 May 2012
This review is from: Mass Effect 3 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
On the whole i have enjoyed this game, if you enjoyed mass effect 2 combat then this is pretty much more of the same. That being said though i don't find myself drawn to this game, Theres nothing really in it that makes me want to continue playing. The main problem i think is that it doesn't really offer anything new. You meet with all the old characters from the first 2 games but it doesn't really develop them at all. The plot is battling cerberus and the reapers and it sticks to those rigidly which means there aren't the twists and turns in the story that make me want to find out what happens next
So, would i reccomend this game? Yes, but with the proviso that it is something mildy entertain to do in spurts when you have nothing better to do rather than something that you will really want to get into.

i.e make sure you get it cheap

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic game with depth, story and action - highly recommended., 29 July 2014
This review is from: Mass Effect 3 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)

My advice, Buy this game. Why, buy this? Well, you will be very, very hard pushed to see this kind of story-telling, complexity, difficulty and sheer creative genius in any kind of medium. There aren't many truly epic games that can beat film for story-telling but this stands head and shoulders up there. This is one of a very small number of computer games so good that as a medium it makes you look at film and think, "Why can't they do that?" Yep, a film costing £500m to make cannot deliver these kinds of goods. It is that good. One thing that people fail to mention is the in-game soundtrack, it is very, very good (ME2's is superb - covered by the London Symphony Orchestra nonetheless).

If you have never played any of the Mass Effect trilogy, buy ME1, 2 and 3 and play them in that order. Play them and savour every single minute of it. If you have never played this trilogy, I truly envy you.

You will never look at another computer game in the same way ever again after finishing this. It's funny, sad, profound, trivial, cheesy and at times, very moving. So moving, you will stop and think. I found playing this game will change a lot of your perspectives on many things. I'm an old cynic but even I have found myself wondering "Now, what would Shep do?" The characters in this game are rich, vibrant, you warm to them, you like them, you don't like them, they are each different, each with their foibles, flaws and strengths.

There's guns, plenty of those, there loads of action and combat, options, loot and decisions to be make. Get them right, you and your team progress, get them wrong, team mates die, missions fail. If you played ME1 & 2 and were happy with your outcome you can continue ME3 with the same character that started with in ME1 and developed.

I've played ME3 three times now with the same character, my Shep's a Level 60 with all guns to upgraded to 10 important when playing the last chapter of the game on Insanity - you will need them and a well upgraded team around you to get a sniff of making it to the ending.

Playability is fantastic, even on the third time round I was still picking up snippets, chat, jokes, upgrades (important to get guns to really do proper damage).

People get very huffy about the ending. I've played out all the options including the non-extended and the extended endings. Yep, my Shephard lives. There are two ways to consider the ending. One, it's not fair, Two, war isn't fair. It's a serious ending. Personally, I found it very thought-provoking and after all that effort, I think it would have better to have seen the extended ended first. So, my advice, buy the game, download the extended ending (it's free) and then play it.

Play the game on a good set-up and you are rewarded with a very well rendered backdrop in 1080p gorgeousness. It looks fantastic on a big screen.

There are a lot of DLCs for this now, I played the game once, then added two DLCs (Leviathan and the Extended ending), my final go-round, I added Citadel DLC. If you have the cash, and at £6 for the main game now, I would recommend all of these DLCs, they add the most to the story in my opinion.

As for getting the game loaded up, buy the license key and go for the download option via Origin. I've personally had little to no problems with it. The DLCs cost extra but I'm very happy with the one's I bought, Citadel is a favourite, (you'll be prompted for shore leave - that's your cue in the game). Leviathan the first time through was tough, absorbing and really added to the story. Citadel is the very last final DLC they will make for ME3, it's utterly packed with stuff (it's a whopping 4Gb) and it's a final farewell to all the characters.

If you do play it, find the Datapad near one of the bed's in the apartment, if you aren't moved, check for a pulse.

In all, it's a damn good game to play, ignore the fuss and bother about the ending, it takes some doing, you can get Shep out of the other end IF you download the extended ending and work hard to meet the criteria.

3.0 out of 5 stars Average across the board, 4 Mar. 2013
Jason Prudhoe (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mass Effect 3 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Compared to ME2 this version is not what i expected honestly, it is not that great at all. graphics maybe improved but that does not mean it has gotten any better as a result.

Cons:
-The storyline is fine but the sidequests are fetch and deliver, not the quests you would expect off side missions.
-Weapons are far more powerful then they should be, typically you go into multiplayer and see others carrying around Cerberus Harrier, Black Widow, M-98 Saber and the likes of other super powerful weapons. play an infiltrator in single player and it too easy with the concentration mod for example.
-Origin login, i have had a few problems with their server recently, latest one being a phantom user accessing my account, but i know its to do with the next point.
-Game crashes a little more often then i would like, especially in multiplayer then anything else.
-No EA server, just a relay, you request to find an active game, it acts on that and finds a host machine around the world instead of a dedicated server, so you are likely to find yourself in a match where it can be very laggy because you are connected to their machine, or errors stating your connection has dropped and multiplayer would be reset. i was expecting a lot more from EA over this farce.
-lockboxes in multiplayer to get anything, lucky though you only waste time by playing matches if you can and get credits from it to buy these boxes and hopefully find something in it that can be useful to you.
-The end is not what i expected, although i downloaded the extended cut since it was free. But there were a few things said by certain characters which means that Commander Shepard is not entirely out of the series yet. However i am still a bit dubious none the less about how EAware are progressing if this is the best they can come up with for an ending.
-Replaying ME3 by importing an ME3 character, you get all the stuff you saved, but it is even more easier as a result because the weapons you got, upgraded and modded you get after leaving the second planet on your journey. As a result your character becomes heavily overpowered the rest of the journey.

Pros:
-Graphics are fine.
-Soundtracks are good, not as catchy as that of Grunt, Tali and Mordin.
-Some replayablity but it would be better to start from ME1 through ME2 to ME3 to really get an idea of the storyline and how it can change. i have spent more or less a solid month glued to the series learning all i can, and this does not happen often.
-Same humor aspect as in ME2, some choices and actions you take usually lead to some comments including that of a sexual nature, depending who you talk to and romanced.

Some ME characters have impressed me enough to the point that whoever scripted them did a very good job, but other features leaves a lot to be desired.
ME1:
Garrus Vakarian - See alot of myself in him.
Urdnot Wrex - His sheer nerve sometimes is fun to watch and carries it well.
Donnel Udina - Typical politician and shows it all the time.

ME2:
Jacob Taylor - Everytime he salutes i cant help but smirk or laugh, a great highlight.
Tali'Zorah - Very impressed with her assertive attitude.
Harbinger - "We are Harbinger.", I laughed at this two dimensional character every time he hit the battlefield.

ME3:
Steven Hackett - Playing the typical patriot in the time of need and as straight as an arrow with the point.
Armando-Owen Bailey - His brutal honesty gave me a few laughs.

Features needing work:
-Multiplayer - no dedicated server, lack of chat, forced to go through lockbox luck, no listing of host machines looking for players or the connection speeds.
-Missing side quests - fetch and deliver, by scanning a solar system and locating an anomaly in space or planetside is all thats needed, gets repetitive very quickly.
-Lack of dedicated companion missions/chat - even ME1 had these and only for three of the characters. ME2 has loyalty missions and as for the chat options, its usually as a guest watching in rather then getting directly into a chat like ME1 or ME2, although it still has the ability, its been greatly reduced compared to ME2.

2.0 out of 5 stars The perfect cake, with the worst icing imaginable, 19 Mar. 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Mass Effect 3 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
This is my single most anticipated game of all time. No beating around the bush. I bought it as soon as it was out on pre release. I avoided every spoiler, even to the extent of asking myself twice about watching a trailer, in case I came across a bit of info which spoiled even a minor plot point. I'd invested hundreds of hours into the first two games.

It is amazing. Fun, fluid gameplay, well written and acted by a great cast. For two straight days I was more or less glued to the screen.

But it is ruined by the ending. No closure, no answers, nothing which really makes sense.

My honest recommendation is that until the whole "change the ending" movement has played out, don't touch this game. It's not worth it for the bitter dissapointment of its conclusion, which adds a sour note to the entire series.

2.0 out of 5 stars What went wrong?, 25 April 2012
K. Haswell (Germany) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mass Effect 3 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
As many others have already pointed out Mass Effect 3 is a game of two halves, well not exactly halves. There's the first 30-odd hours or so of gameplay which are for the most part good and then there's the last ten minutes which are not in the least bit good but (quite literally) shockingly bad.

The first 'half' of the game is well made with solid gameplay and some great story-driven missions and emotionally charged decisions - exactly what we've come to expect from the Mass Effect series and from Bioware in general. Another plus is the weapon and skill customization, which finally manages to hit a good balance between the overly fiddly ME1 system and the overly 'streamlined' ME2 system. On the downside, the game still requires you to spend a lot of time scanning planets (now made not only tedious but irritating by constant Reaper interruptions, and then there are all those 'run and fetch' quests where your journal doesn't update when you've found the item you're looking form, and then .... However irritating these minor niggles are, they don't really significantly detract from the game. Even allowing for the fact that the game only runs under EA's Origin client, and that you have to play in multiplayer mode in order to achieve the 'best' ending I would still have been prepared to give this game 4 stars, ... if it weren't for those last 10 minutes ...

The Internet is full of articles and videos of fans raging about the last 10 minutes of Mass Effect 3. The sad fact is that they're all right. The end of Mass Effect 3 is the worst shoddy mishmash of an ending I've ever seen in a computer game (and let me tell you, I've seen a few shoddy games in my time ;-)). It fails on the level of story (the narrative just falls apart) and it fails on the level of game mechanics (all that tedious scanning for war assets? - forget it, in the end it makes next to no difference). However, what is most shocking about the ending is the drop in quality compared to the rest of the game. What happened? I can only guess they had a deadline to meet and it was hastily cobbled togehter at the last minute. Whatever. Bioware have announced that they will release an 'Extended Cut' DLC in the summer to add 'additional clarity and closure' - it's desperately needed. As things stand at the moment, 2 stars are generous.

Mass Effect 3 (PC DVD)
Mass Effect 3 (PC DVD) by Electronic Arts (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)