5.0 out of 5 stars Freaking Great
Published 23 months ago by Mrs. P. BROOKSBANK

2.0 out of 5 stars Dated and Disappointing
I love listening to singers with a great band, but this cd just does not do it for me. I've heard better albums recorded in the 50's and Seth McFarlane's voice is rather
ordinary in my opinion.
Published 23 months ago by K. Johansen

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Freaking Great, 28 Aug 2012
Mrs. P. BROOKSBANK (England) - See all my reviews
I heard the "Steve Wright in the Afternoon" interview with Seth MacFarlane and they played a couple of tracks, I was instantly hooked. A flawless production of 30's 40's and 50's songs that are mostly unknown now. I've always loved Jazz and the big band sound; this hits the spot and more. The "Family Guy" "Road to" specials have been some of my favourite episodes, spoofs of the Bob Hope and Bing Crosby films, this is a logical extension to these.

Seth's voice is immaculate and at times you would think Sinatra is reborn. This is not surprising, as he has received voice training from two people who worked with Frank Sinatra.

I grew up with this kind of music and it comes from a more innocent time of elegance that has sadly long gone. Paradoxically really, as the "Family Guy" shows can be quite dark and acid. It's a refreshing change from half naked harpies shouting, or vulgar posturing young men.

The tunes are catchy up tempo or laid back and romantic in spades. The production is immaculate and I have read that they recorded using an old 1930's mike and analogue tapes to get the right sound.

I love every track but if I had to pick a couple of stand outs I would say " Two Sleepy People," a duet with Norah Jones and the amazingly haunting "Laura."

If well crafted, well sung big band sound is your thing then this will not disappoint. Oh, put it on late at night with the lights turned down and a bottle of wine (preferably not alone) and if you don't melt then you must be made of stone! Seth MacFarlane has been quoted as saying he didn't care if it makes a dime its just something he wanted to do. I hope it makes him a fortune.

5.0 out of 5 stars great CD, 29 Aug 2012
Andrew Berry - See all my reviews
This review is from: Music Is Better Than Words (Audio CD)
The creator of Family Guy, Seth MacFarlane has released a CD. It is absolutely fantastic and is really worth a listen. Although it's like listening to the character, Brian from Family Guy, Seth sounds first class on the CD and his sound is very unique.

5.0 out of 5 stars music is better than woods, 24 Sep 2012
This review is from: Music Is Better Than Words (Audio CD)
This is one of the best cds I have bought for a long time ,Seth Macfarlane is in my mind a great singer,I hope he can make more albums

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely cd, 27 May 2013
This review is from: Music Is Better Than Words (Audio CD)
Amazing CD, Seth MacFarlane has an amazing voice, just have to stop imagining him as Brian from Family Guy when he sings!
duets are lovely too

4.0 out of 5 stars Music Is Better Than Words, 26 April 2013
It took me a little while to become used to Seth's voice as I am all too familiar with his many voices in Family Guy, and as such I found it hard at first to believe the songs he was singing and treat him as a true music artist. Thankfully, the more I listened to the album, the more I was able to see him and his music separately from the character singing he does in Family Guy. A really good album overall featuring big band songs. I believe that all these songs are original and not covers, which is rare to see on an album like this. I highly recommend this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good to hear songbook numbers sung properly and with orchestra behind them..., 18 Nov 2012
C. FULLER (Brixham, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Music Is Better Than Words (Audio CD)
There are 14 reasons why you should buy this album and they are all lovely songs and classics some from the 1940s. The recordings were made at the Capitol studios with Joel McNeely arranging and conducting. My favourites are his versions of "Laura" & "Two Sleepy People" all recorded with an excellent orchestra with lovely arrangements. It is good to hear a younger singer perform these songs as they should sung and in modern day terms that is quite amazing. I have no problem with the recording which proves my point about studios being quite able of producing an album like in the good old days...EMI please take note.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, 4 Jun 2014
Such a great album from the man who created the likes of Family guy and American Dad. Such a great singer and every song on this album is just brilliant. I would definitely recommend this album to everyone

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant CD, 26 Feb 2014
This review is from: Music Is Better Than Words (Audio CD)
Anyone who's watched Seth MacFarlanes animated shows will know he has an excellent singing voice, further demonstrated in performances with the John Wilson orchestra at the BBC Proms and on their CDs.
This is best described as a love letter to the 'golden age' of recordings, when Crosby, Sinatra and Torme were at the height of their powers. The sound of the orchestra is fantastic, with some of the greatest session and band players amongst it's ranks. MacFarlane's singing is lyrical of phrase, smooth of tone and respectful to the music - without venturing into pastiche.
The arrangements are very good, with only a couple of numbers suffering from over-complication. The one slight misfire for me is the inclusion of Norah Jones on "Two Sleepy People". Miss Jones has a fantastic voice and is very successful in her own style, but really doesn't gel with MacFarlane or the style exhibited on this recording.
Otherwise this is a great CD, with several fantastic tunes, performed with a level of care and respect that is currently not levelled to music as often as it should be.

4.0 out of 5 stars 21st Century Frank Sinatra, 11 May 2013
This review is from: Music Is Better Than Words (Audio CD)
So I'm n older teen and I already knew Seth had one hell of a voice from Family Guy, American Dad, etc.
He inspires me so much because he's proof that one should never limit themselves to one vocation or interest. I mean, look at him! Writer, director, singer, pianist, voice actor, animator...I could go on!

This album is , unsurprisingly, very Frank Sinatra-esque. In fact, I found out it was recordered using the same microphone Sinatra himself used. Seth, in all the songs, sounds flawless (and very much like Brian ;) ) I personally loved the first few songs, but nearer the end, they become a little too slow and too similar in sound for my taste.
What I love about this album and the the reason I watch or listen to anything Macfarlane produces, is that it makes me smile. These songs may sound quite repetitive after a while, but they are definitely feel-good songs that will brighten a rainy day!

Keep going, Seth! Let there be no limits! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars if you like classic easy listen, 17 Mar 2013
This review is from: Music Is Better Than Words (Audio CD)
one of the best voices sing some new classic easy listening pieces. listen and relax. it is amazing that the creator of Family guy and American dad can sing so beautifully

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Music Is Better Than Words
Music Is Better Than Words by Seth MacFarlane (Audio CD - 2012)