4.0 out of 5 stars great read
Published on 1 Dec. 2011 by S. Hughes

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
A difficult author to review, felt very much like reading a Robert Jordan, Wheel of Time book, yet at the same time, I found the character creation and plot development too slow.

Action in book 1 was particularly lacking and in book 2 somewhat better.

Published on 13 Nov. 2011 by Benjamin Bruce

4.0 out of 5 stars great read, 1 Dec. 2011
This review is from: The Shadow at the Gate (The Tormay Trilogy Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
I can't even remember how I found this series on the kindle library but how glad was I! It's a great read. I've read all three books back to back and their great. Book 1 was a great read. I can't for the life of me see how the more negative review could find it slow. Book 2 builds on the great start and you start to see how the various strands of the story start to weave together and characters develop. If you like Jordan, Tolkien, Eddings, Feist & Wurts, Weeks, Abercombie or many other great authors then you will love this series.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 13 Nov. 2011

Action in book 1 was particularly lacking and in book 2 somewhat better.

In book one Jute opens the box, and we know that he is the master of wind. It takes up to 76% of book 2 for him to be told this, because everyone who is about to tell him this gets interupted, this reason gets a bit stale.

By this stage in the book we would expect him to have some idea of his powers, but instead it is like he is a level 0 character who has not learnt a thing.

He is travelling with a would be mage, a ranger/thief of sorts and a hawk, yet they are not teaching him anything in fact the story revolves more around "Ronan" than about Jute, the main hero of the book.

I found this a bit disappointing because the language is exceptional, the sentence structure, descriptions etc, very well written, but the plot development is confused and still being expanded without really getting anywhere, much like Robert Jordan became.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bring on The Wicked Day, 3 Jun. 2011
The Shadow at the Gate is the second book of the Tormay trilogy by Christopher Bunn. The adventure continues to follow Jute, Severan, Levoreth, and Ronan as they deal with the coming Dark. There are some interesting moments detailing the creation of the world and the origin of the Dark. There is also an explanation on the magic system that works in his world. In Shadow at the Gate many of story lines from The Hawk and His Boy are coming together, building towards the climax that will be found in book 3. A few of the minor characters from the first book get to step up into more prominent roles and more is revealed about the thieves guild. The story continues to be well written and enjoyable with a solid flow. This book has an open ending that really helps build anticipation for the third book in the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved it! Great sequel to the first book!!, 26 May 2011
The book is divided into two stories, the first is about Jute and the second about Levoreth. In my review for 'The Hawk and his Boy' I couldn't stop gushing about Levoreth and she was my favourite character. 'The Shadow at the Gate' continues her story perfectly and gives us an even better insight into whom she really is. I wish I could say more about her, but I don't want to spoil anything for the readers. I will say that if you liked her in the first book and are a fan of dramatic scenery and events you will really like what Christopher Bunn has done with Levoreth.

I did find myself warming up to 'The Knife' or Ronan. In the first book he was more of a side-character, but Christopher really used this book to explore his character a bit more. And may I say, if you like surprises READ THIS BOOK. I was seriously stunned after I found out who he was. Christopher Bunn used this book to give the reader some more time to get to know the other characters but especially ... to learn about Tormay and its history.

Every good (!) fantasy book should have a background. It doesn't all have to be in the book, but there has to be at least a reference to other countries, cities, important people from the past, to give it the richness that make good fantasy books, like 'The Lord of the Rings' outstanding. Tormay has such a background. You didn't hear as much about it in the first book, but this book takes a lot more time to expand. For example, we visit Severus' wizard school and we learn more about the Anbeorum. Christoper Bunn really created an original story and with his fluent and imaginative writing style he is sure to captivate anyone who likes a good story.