5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it
Published 16 months ago by AnemoneOne

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read!
Although I found the first 1/3rd of the book a bit hard going, once the character realises her 'talent' it gets to be a good read! I'll be buying the 2nd book!
Published on 22 Dec 2011 by Ms Savory

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 30 Mar 2013
This review is from: Stray (Touchstone Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I downloaded Stray [book 1 in the series] because it was a free read. I'm so pleased that I did. I loved this book - loved it enough to buy the sequels, which meant that it turned out to be not a free read in the end. I read all the books back to back and now that I've finished them I don't know what to do with myself. I got so engrossed in the story and characters, and am glad that an 'epilogue' was published to round things off.
Anyone who thinks that this is a book for young adults only need have no worries. I'm certainly not 'young adult', being in my mid-fifties, and would recommend the series to anyone. If it was aimed at the young adult market I can only say good because it meant that I was spared the gratuitous, often obligatory, sex scenes which many novels have.
I loved this series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Starts out slow and then becomes a utopian sc- fi, 3 July 2011
Cheryl M-M (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Stray (Touchstone Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I received a complimentary copy of this book for my review. Hmmm this is a sci-fi/fantasy story written in diary format, which I must honestly say does the book no favours. Reading a story in the first person isn't for every reader, but for some books it is the right way to go. I believe it wasn't in this case. The story and concept are good, but the author drags out the self dialogue even when other people start appearing. I realise this is due to the language barrier but there could have been more dialogue between characters in the first quarter of the story. The story gets more colour when Cassandra, the main character, who has somehow managed to get lost on an alternate planet or plane of existence, starts interacting with other characters verbally. The facets of this sci fi are deep and are layered upon one another, I would love to go into detail but I don't want to reveal any spoilers. Actually my fingers are itching: Cassandra is put in the position of making a choice, go home and destroy her own world or the world she has come to know.This book would work well in non diary format, because the utopian ideas and creativity are clearly there to back it up. I enjoyed this strange little gem and will look out for more. If you enjoy reading beyond the end of our flat planet, give this one a try.Stray (Touchstone)

5.0 out of 5 stars Stray, 17 Feb 2013
This review is from: Stray (Touchstone Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Part of a series of books that I have avidly read from cover to cover, I am looking forward to the next story line from this author.

4.0 out of 5 stars The protagonist makes this series, 20 Aug 2014
This review is from: Stray (Touchstone Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
The books basically follow the main character after she is brought unexpectedly into a new and unknown world. She doesn't speak the language, she doesn't understand the society she's landed in, and she has to struggle to find her place and integrate with her new world. In addition, in a world full of people with psychic abilities, her own ability is a bit of an oddity, which brings sometimes unwelcome intense interest from the local authorities.

I really enjoyed these books. I liked the main character, and that's what carried the series for me. The books are very much about that character - don't expect the plot to advance quickly or to have non-stop nail-biting action. That being the case, you probably should read the sample and decide if you like the main character or not before buying.

One thing which I was unsure about when starting these books was the choice of a diary format. I've always struggled with books in this format, from Dracula onwards, because a diary entry is removed in time from the events it describes. That additional barrier between the reader and events often, I think, makes it hard to engage with the story. On the other hand, it does give more access to the inner thoughts and feelings of the main character / diary writer. As the main character was what sold these books to me, I think that this is a rare case where a fictional diary actually works.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting from the onset, 23 Jan 2013
F. Tewson "_minnie_" (Mossley, Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stray (Touchstone Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This was one of my free books that I 'bought' regularly. I read this and then bought the next two!

Cassandra Devlin walks home from school after her final exams and through a 'gate' into another world devoid of human life. She has to survive here before being found by others and taken to yet another world- this one has people and a more advanced technology than Earth and Cass has trouble adjusting to it initially.

This book is all about how Cassandra settles into this world- Tare- and how she tries to get back to Earth. I won't put any spoilers in, but a great read and once I'd bought all 3 books, I re-read them immediately.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stray excellent value, super story, 8 Jan 2013
This review is from: Stray (Touchstone Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Recommend to teens and adults.
Free, so excellent value - though it does make you want to buy the rest of the series.
Good story line, quickly become very involved with the main characters.

4.0 out of 5 stars very good. well worth a read., 16 Dec 2012
This review is from: Stray (Touchstone Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I was slightly confused when i first started to read this book by the format in wich it was written by after thefirst fewchapters i couldnt put it down. i will definatly be readimg this whole series.

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read!, 22 Dec 2011
Ms Savory (UK) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite a different book!, 7 Nov 2011
This review is from: Stray (Touchstone Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Quite a different book, while this book is a great read and drew me in I did start to struggle a little bit with it. If you love sci-fi then this is the book for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 20 Mar 2012
Mole "Mole" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Stray (Touchstone Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Cassandra is on her way home one day when something happens to her, and she finds herself on another planet. At first, she struggles to survive, but is then rescued by a group of humanoids from yet another place. It turns out that they regularly find "strays"; people that have passed through rifts in space, and do their best to help her adjust to a new life on their planet. But then they discover she is one of those few that have "abilities" and she joins a special group of similar young people that are involved in protecting their world.

The story is written as if Cassandra is writing her thoughts in a diary, and it is based upon a teenage girl's point of view. However, the narrative flows really well and I found it a delight to read; well put together, and with some great little pieces that make it a really good book.

I especially liked the idea of the datanet based upon nanites that are placed within a person's head, making access to data easier and more useful. This is the concept of "augmented reality" which is a topic that has been gaining ground over the last few years, based upon mobile computing devices. I think that I may well look for the others stories in this series.

Suitable for teenagers and above.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Stray (Touchstone Book 1)
Stray (Touchstone Book 1) by Andrea K. Höst