5.0 out of 5 stars A gold standard in Value for Money.
This monitor represents what I would consider a 'gold standard' in Value for Money.

Coming in at just within 'budget' model prices, it packs a wealth of features that just a few years back would have set us back at least four times the asking price and been considered Luxury.
Published 8 months ago by Fat Chris

3.0 out of 5 stars Calibration is Difficult. Not good for serious design work
ASUS VE248H 24 inch LED Widescreen Full HD 1080p with HDMI 2ms Response Time Aspect Control Function
Monitor was arrived today. My test platform is Windows 7 64bit on Intel i7 core connected via DVI. The monitor is about 3 feet away from my eyes.

Published on 4 April 2012 by K. Hadi

5.0 out of 5 stars A gold standard in Value for Money., 30 Oct. 2014
Fat Chris (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ASUS VE247H 24 inch LED Widescreen Full HD 1080p Support with HDMI 2ms Response Time Splendid? Video Intelligence Technology (Accessory)

The LED backlit screen is crisp and vivid, and the colours, which like everything else can be tweaked specifically to your personal tastes, can be incredibly sharp.

The stand comes with a simple forwards / back tilt that can go to some extremes, and has a nifty hole in the centre for you to thread cables through to get them hidden away, underslung ports allow simple connectivity and the easy to use, simply labelled buttons make changing settings perfectly simple.

Where this monitor stands out is in it's pre-set scenes, which can be changed at the press of one button, you can go from wildly bright colours and intense clarity for Video Games, to a subtle and more realistic set of tones for other viewing, there's an unusually bright 'night-time' mode as well that I've yet to actually use.
It's worth noting that all these 'scenes' can also be individually tweaked.

Overall the quality of this monitor has been above what I had initially expected considering the low asking price
(at the time just shy of £130)

The only negative aspects being that the speakers are obviously terrible (but always are in monitors, so isn't worth docking points for) and I personally would have liked a few more ports, but I could have gotten something with more, so again, not worth losing anything for, I have a HDMI splitter, no big deal.

The only downside that would affect the overall grade for me is that I can't seem to find a way to lower the brightness of the backlight itself, which I would love to do as I can see a bit of haze from the lamps on the right hand side, it can be lowered by selecting different scenes to set levels, which does make it go away on 3/5 modes, but you can't adjust it manually (e.g. from 0-100) from what I have found
(if there is a way, please let me know!)
All the positive points for me outweigh this and I notice it maybe once every few days.

One massive pro-point for me was that the Monitor comes bundled with a whole Maplins worth of cables, supplied in box were:
UK and EU power adapters, a VGA cable, a DVI cable and an audio cable, a mighty haul indeed!

I have been using this monitor every day since purchase for absolutely everything from Office work, to films and games and I am still loving it.

Well worth the money and more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Monitor With a Few Minor Niggles, 4 Aug. 2012
Kaio (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
When I recently decided to replace my 5-year old ViewSonic monitor (22 inch, 1680x1050) with 24 inch 1920x108 full HD monitor, my first choice was iiyama ProLite E2473HDS 24 inch LED Backlit Monitor for the reasons detailed in a review I made for that monitor. The iiyama, while a top class monitor, let me down on one very minor operational feature which many users may not even notice unless the monitor is used between two computers with a KVM switch (which I must add my 5-year old ViewSonic handled brilliantly!).

Getting a replacement for the iiyama monitor was very tricky: settle for a ViewSonic brand, or try another brand, in the hope that the issue I had with the KVM switch won't be there? I have a bit of experience with the ASUS brand and very good customer care through my Asus G74SX-91131Z Laptop so, together with some positive reviews, I was swayed to pick this Asus monitor. And I am glad I made that choice as the KVM switch works with this monitor as expected!

As for the display quality, this monitor is excellent, and with the benefit of comparing two monitors side by side I cannot discern the difference between this and my first choice (the iiyama which conveniently was picked up 2 days after this one was delivered). The pre-programmed settings this monitor offers (6 in total) are also great and minimise the need for getting into the guts of monitor settings which in general better avoided for any monitor. I haven't tested this monitor with action videos and games but taking on face value the 2ms response time (the best spec for this class of LCD monitors), this monitor should be capable of handling rapid video frames without noticeable judder or distortion.

So, what are the few minor niggles?

Really not significant enough to play down this excellent quality display monitor, but here we go:

1. I agree with other reviewers that this monitor is wobbly but doesn't mean it will fall over. For instance, touch the power switch and you don't get that solid feeling, rather a feeling as if the monitor is sitting on a spring. All ASUS needed to do was provide a wider base - compare this with the iiyama Monitor picture and you can see what I mean. If you use wall mounting (which this monitor supports with VESA bracket), then, this is not a problem.

2. Like the iiyama monitor I've just tried out, this monitor also needs to be raised as the base height is too low. Fortunately Compucessory Monitor Screen Riser 34-100mm Storage Stackable provided a perfect solution for me (as well as tidying up some clutter by storing under it) and at reasonable cost, so factor in about a tenner to the price of this monitor for a riser (unless you opt for using that hefty encyclopaedia book or something similar as a riser). Again, if you opt for wall mounting this is not a problem.

3. Most LED back-lit monitors of this size consume under 30W of power, for instance iiyama's power consumption is 24W max. This monitor consumes 35W max which is about 45% more than iiyama. Although this monitor qualifies for Energy Star rating, I don't think it deserves to be tagged as Green.

4. I also agree with other reviewers that the calibration is a bit unwieldy and unconventional, and can be confusing. I've come to notice strange parameters to adjust such as clock phase and frequency (which by the way did a trick for me to get crispier text in VGA mode); it is not clear whether this is to provide flexible user control, or ASUS is just passing on the job that should have been taken care by electronic design.

5. This monitor comes with Continental Europe mains plug rather than UK. This is a bit unusual as it's almost the case these days that you either get only UK plug or both Continental and UK plugs. This monitor may be destined for the Continental but may be re-routed by Amazon to meet stock constraints? Fortunately not a problem for me as I located a spare from a long gone PC but checking on Amazon shows that the cheapest mains plug is around £2.50 (example, UK 1.5m Mains Cable), and can be as expensive as over £6 if supplied by Amazon: Lindy 3m Mains Power Lead UK 3-Pin Plug. So, factor in this to the overall cost; but also note that yours may be supplied with UK mains plug.

That is all I have to say by way of minor negatives. But, on the top of excellent display quality, I have a few pros to add.

1. Contrary to what some reviewers have indicated, I really like the way the control buttons are concealed on the lower right edge of the monitor, together with the power LED - a plus as there is nothing conspicuous to distract you on the outer edge of the monitor.

2. The sound quality for integrated speakers is very good indeed, and much better than iiyama monitor's sound quality.

3. You get all video interface standard ports for this monitor: VGA, DVI-D and HDMI. Not all monitors in this class provide HDMI interface, so good show ASUS; iiyama unusually provides 2x HDMI - each with good positioning taking account of wall mounting and well done iiyama!

4. I have mentioned this already, but I very much like the pre-programmed display settings to suit different usage scenarios, such as gaming, movie, night view, etc.

5. A 3-year panel warranty with a free pick-up service provides that needed peace of mind, should the panel go faulty at some point within the first 3 years (let's say year 2 and 3 as first year is statutory cover anyway). Very reassuring after-sales customer care indeed!

In conclusion, starting off with a great display quality this monitor offers, the minor niggles mentioned almost cancel out with the not-so-insignificant pros. In reality, no monitor is 100% perfect for everyone, but this monitor comes close to winning over the majority of customers who come to use it. I am pleased with this purchase and happy to recommend it to others (on the basis that prospective buyers are aware of the minor misgivings I've outlined).

3.0 out of 5 stars Calibration is Difficult. Not good for serious design work, 4 April 2012
K. Hadi "book maven" (London UK) - See all my reviews

This is an excellent 1080p monitor, but for photography works and web design or graphic design, it is a big problematic.
The viewing angle makes it impossible for color and gamma calibration. When the upper half of the screen is calibrated the lower half will be out of calibration, and vice versa. Yes you can still see the picture in an angle but the color and gamma are out of sync. Hours and hours spent fiddling with calibration, it just didn't work. Another thing is when you are facing straight normal to the centre of the screen the lower half is slightly brighter than the upper half. You have to tilt the screen further down toward you to have the lower half dimmer.

The good thing is, for gaming or office works or internet browsing, it does the job perfectly for the cheap price. It has a fast response time, and the 1080p is brilliant. You can easily have two A4 windows open side by side. The form factor is good, the first thing I checked was the ventilation grill on top of the monitor, for me this is a proper design for heat dissipation under any working condition. I prefer Asus than the Acer because of bad reputation on Acer that mine was broken just 2 months after the warranty ends.

Great for everyday tasks and gaming.
Not good for photographers or designers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Screen Gem, 11 Aug. 2013
A John (Uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I bought this monitor to go with a CyberPro gaming PC and it makes for a great combination as it's a bright panel with an even LED backlight that shows game graphics and video at good viewing angles.
Along with most other entry level screens these days the resolution is HD 1920 x 1080 by default, though this isn't a complaint, the screen is brilliant value and has VGA, DVI and HDMI inputs.
21.5 inch widescreen at HD resolution is also great for excel spreadsheets and two pages of A4 side by side in portrait mode.
The screen controls are easy to use if you need to switch between inputs to connect a console over HDMI.
There are 5 built in preset modes for Scenery, Theater, Game, Night View, and Standard, but to be honest I've found standard is more than good enough.
Brilliant value for an entry level monitor at this size, definitely recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressed despite one flaw.., 16 Aug. 2014
I've had this monitor almost a year now. I was a bit annoyed to start with because after ten minutes of using the monitor I noticed a dead pixel, but it wasn't where your eyes are naturally fixated on the screen so I left it. To be honest after a week I kind of forgot about the dead pixel and realised it was only easy to spot if the screen was displaying a dark image (completely black image for example), so I was even less bothered by it.

Other than that it has been a great monitor so far, I'm not even going to mark it down on the dead pixel because I don't really notice it any more unless really looking for it. I've got my PC plugged in to one HDMI port and a PS3 plugged in to the other port. It plays the sounds from the PS3 quite well, the sound is nothing spectacular, but I only do the occasional bit of gaming on the PS3, no movies or anything else.

Bright and vibrant colours, nice and clear when gaming and image editing and I've not even touched the settings yet. I personally like the simplistic design of it, I see a lot of monitors these days have interesting designs, but I'd rather have a monitor with good image quality and basic looks than frilly designs and mediocre image quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended monitor, 9 Mar. 2012
So I bought this monitor for use with my PC, Xbox 360 and Tivo Box, and what can I say its absolutely incredible. So first of all let me put your mind at ease about the rumours of this having ghosting issues, this is most likely a problem with the persons drivers or GPU as I have absolutely no ghosting on either device. In fact the Xbox screen is so smooth I almost thought it was 120Hz as apposed to 60Hz. The only gripe I have with this is the fact it is sold as an LED screen but it is in fact an LCD with LED backlight, but the screen is still as bright and colourful as ever. It also does a great job at making standard def TV look better and the HD is supreme. This is probably the best monitor to buy at the moment around the £150 mark and I highly recommend it.

Also note; I wasn't sure at the time if the stand would be adjustable or fixed, this is adjustable to quite steep angles and the stand is quite sturdy. The buttons are well spaced and the menus are clear. Also the power light is not intrusive, it's actually a pretty cool blue glow but not bright you do not notice it.

Further info: The monitor has 1 x 3.5 Audio In + 1 x 3.5 Audio Out, 1 x HDMI, 1 x DVI, 1 x VGA.

If you need extra HDMI ports like I do you can buy the Duronics HDMI switch which I also gave a great review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant product, 13 Jun. 2013
Came nicely packed, with both EU AND UK plug types (was dreading this, as another product I recently ordered came with an EU power cable when I live in the UK...) and works straight out of the box with no issues. Easy set up, outstanding picture quality and very smart looking.
P.S. For anyone wanting a more 'matte black' monitor, this isn't completely piano black glossy: it's only glossy on the front and top of the base panel, everywhere else it matte finish so is the best of both tastes and retains it's smart appearance.
A GREAT BUY, RECOMMENDED. :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy monitor but terrible sound, 7 Mar. 2014
I ordered this monitor to both be a bigger screen on which to watch movies from my laptop and to play PS3 games on. While the visuals are excellent and crisp, the sound quality is terrible. It has this annoying tinny quality to it and is very low. Luckily there are ports for external speakers and I had a spare set at home so the problem is solved now but for those buying expecting excellent audio, please be aware of this. If you have external speakers available to you and have no problem dedicating their use to this, then this is an excellent monitor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clean & Crisp- Pity about the dead pixel., 6 Dec. 2012
Sleek design. Matt display. Swivel bottom. Crisp 1080P display. Delivered well before estimated date.
Multiple HDMI ports are useful to connect multiple devices-- so for me XBOX360, PC and Mac mini-- swap between the inputs as needed.
Pity there is a dead pixel in the bottom right corner of the screen, pretty unnoticeable but alerted Amazon, lets see what they do.
At present based on its use, look and clarity i would give it full marks but due to the dead pixel 3.5/5

Update
Amazon responded to my query promptly and shipping a new item out. It was delivered on Saturday morning. I have arrange for Yodel to pick up the one with the dead pixel so that is great for ease--- no lugging the hefty parcel to the Post office. Thankfully same crispness in display quality. Close inspection with multiple backgrounds show ZERO dead pixels. Thanks in this situation Amazon and their partners have shown brilliant customer service--Even when most manufacturers would say one pixel on a 27@ display is 'tolerated'-- Not by me and thankfully not by Amazon either. upgraded rating to 5/5.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clean, crisp and clear., 13 Dec. 2011
This screen replaced a Samsung 22" pebble monitor that was flickering at start up, having problems igniting the LED back light at power up it seemed. Anyway, unpacking and setting up this monitor for my purposes was effortless and everything I had hoped it would be.

I don't have an outstanding graphics card and cannot compare it to anything other than the monitor it replaces. It was purchased to tidy up my desk, for the minimalistic styling, HDMI connectivity, built in speakers and speedy response time.

The speakers are adequate, they don't have any bass worth mentioning and do sound a little tinny to my ears but I really wasn't expecting anything else to be fair. It's connected via HDMI to my silent HD6450 graphics card (which may be upgraded later) so it will just be playing DVD and BD movies for now when I'm not computing. I have a console for gaming so game performance is something I cannot comment on for this monitor although in my experience the graphics card is a much more critical aspect to performance than the screen.

For desktop computing the pre-programmed display "themes" are handy to get a (one button press) subtle change in appearance to your preferred colour / brightness / gamma setting. For those who like messing the tuning options are vast, I personally cannot be bothered with it and to be honest don't feel there is any need to. This is a cracking good picture straight out of the box.

So, for me it's (currently) being used primarily for computing and watching the odd HD movie or two and on that score it is a very good purchase and I'm quite happy with it so far.