5.0 out of 5 stars A gold standard in Value for Money.
This monitor represents what I would consider a 'gold standard' in Value for Money.

Coming in at just within 'budget' model prices, it packs a wealth of features that just a few years back would have set us back at least four times the asking price and been considered Luxury.
Published 1 month ago by Fat Chris

I bought this monitor mainly because the Asus 228H monitor that came with my recent computer upgrade was just a little on the small side (it has now been relegated to lesser duties) despite being an excellent monitor in other respects. Certainly it took an hour or so to find the best adjustment of brightness/contrast, but, once done, I was very pleased with it...
Published on 31 July 2012 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars A gold standard in Value for Money., 30 Oct 2014
Fat Chris (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ASUS VE247H 24 inch LED Widescreen Full HD 1080p Support with HDMI 2ms Response Time Splendid? Video Intelligence Technology (Accessory)

The LED backlit screen is crisp and vivid, and the colours, which like everything else can be tweaked specifically to your personal tastes, can be incredibly sharp.

The stand comes with a simple forwards / back tilt that can go to some extremes, and has a nifty hole in the centre for you to thread cables through to get them hidden away, underslung ports allow simple connectivity and the easy to use, simply labelled buttons make changing settings perfectly simple.

Where this monitor stands out is in it's pre-set scenes, which can be changed at the press of one button, you can go from wildly bright colours and intense clarity for Video Games, to a subtle and more realistic set of tones for other viewing, there's an unusually bright 'night-time' mode as well that I've yet to actually use.
It's worth noting that all these 'scenes' can also be individually tweaked.

Overall the quality of this monitor has been above what I had initially expected considering the low asking price
(at the time just shy of £130)

The only negative aspects being that the speakers are obviously terrible (but always are in monitors, so isn't worth docking points for) and I personally would have liked a few more ports, but I could have gotten something with more, so again, not worth losing anything for, I have a HDMI splitter, no big deal.

The only downside that would affect the overall grade for me is that I can't seem to find a way to lower the brightness of the backlight itself, which I would love to do as I can see a bit of haze from the lamps on the right hand side, it can be lowered by selecting different scenes to set levels, which does make it go away on 3/5 modes, but you can't adjust it manually (e.g. from 0-100) from what I have found
(if there is a way, please let me know!)
All the positive points for me outweigh this and I notice it maybe once every few days.

One massive pro-point for me was that the Monitor comes bundled with a whole Maplins worth of cables, supplied in box were:
UK and EU power adapters, a VGA cable, a DVI cable and an audio cable, a mighty haul indeed!

I have been using this monitor every day since purchase for absolutely everything from Office work, to films and games and I am still loving it.

Well worth the money and more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb for gaming, 10 July 2014
I wanted this model because It had built in speakers and so that I could use it independently with an Xbox 360. It has excellent picture quality with no ghosting or delay when gaming and the sound is really rather good. I found it easy to adjust the settings and the various input facility makes this a simple monitor to connect without having to buy additional (expensive) adaptors. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loverly Jubbly, 18 Feb 2012
Had the Asus 24 inch LED widescreen for a few days now and lovin it. Set up using HDMI lead and set at HD resolution this monitor rocks. So much viewing room on the monitor.

Monitor is plug and play up and running in a couple of minuites just a few tweaks here and there.

Very happy camper would recommend and at a great price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Audio Line Out, 22 Mar 2012
Something nobody really mentions re: the capabilities of ASUS monitors is the importance of the earphone jack. This is essentially a stereo line out. Claims you will find on the internet that speakers cannot be plugged into an earphone jack are absolute rubbish. I'm telling you as a sound engineer. If you have any pair of active speakers (i.e. they power themselves (they need to be plugged in)) you can use this "earphone jack" to totally bypass the monitor speakers and use the speakers you want to. The monitor audio input sources are a) via the 3.5mm in socket, and/or, b) from HDMI.

In this way I have my Xbox connected by HDMI and am then 'routing on' the audio contained in the HDMI signal out of the earphone jack, into my audio interface, and then into my 12" active speakers. I could just run the earphone jack output using a 3.5mm stereo plug at one end to two 1/4" jacks (left and right) into each speaker directly but my interface lets me control lots of ins and outs for other purposes. You could even take the 3.5mm audio out and go into an amplifier/AV receiver and then into passive (non-powered) speakers. At the end of the day you just need a cable that is 3.5mm stereo one end to whatever connections you need the other side.

The point of this review is that the audio features of this monitor mean that you can have an HDMI picture, and, great sound too - making it ideal for a multimedia setup outwith standard PC use.

In terms of the picture, you will have to mess around with the various 'splendid' settings and then fine-tune contrast, brightness etc yourself from there. The standard modes are typically too bright, too contrasted etc - basically 'extremes'. Once optimised the screen is excellent.

I chose this over an VE278Q after much deliberation. I moved up from a 22" 1680x1050. This VE247H made a huge difference because of the extra pixels. I have a very deep desk and still I'm glad I didn't get a 27" monitor now. Obviously the 24" is sharper at the same resolution (smaller pixels). On the desk it is big enough that your are focusing on a section of the screen (and have to move'lean back to see it all), and at 2-3 metres it fills your line of vision.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent screen at a very reasonable price, 12 Nov 2014
Kevin Trebell (Cornwall, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This has been bought as a new primary screen for my sons PC, his other smaller screen will now be used as a secondary.

The monitor came sensibly boxed with a set of cables in the box (dvi and vga), along with a manual and it's stand. The initial feel of this of a good build quality, it feels solid and sturdy.

Getting it connected up was a breeze, we connected via HDMI to his spare socket on his graphics card and were away.

We had to play with settings to get the picture as we wanted and this did take a bit of fiddling but once we had it the display was really lovely. The picture is bright , colours excellent, contrast great and response times look excellent.

He's immediately finding it a step up from his old monitor and can see the difference on Blu Rays and games right away.

Overall , for the price you can't go wrong with this. Excellent quality at a very fair price. I'm tempted to get another to replace my own monitor now (I'm still using an old 900P Sammy so that's so nice I've not wanted to lose it but this is nice enough to tempt me).

3.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, fiddly to adjust but good value if your persevere, 31 July 2012

So, I upgraded to the 247H as its slightly bigger brother and the slightly larger text on the screen, while retaining true HD resolution at 1920x1080, has made all the difference.

However, where the 228H took an hour to set up, the 247H frustrated me for 2 days. The fiddly, counter intuitive, control buttons don't help, as others have mentioned - but I'd already mastered these on the 22 inch screen, so that wasn't the main problem. The difficulty was getting a good balance of brightness and contrast that didn't leave the screen looking washed out or too harsh. There are plent of options in the OSD menu but, frankly, most of them are pretty useless. The pre-set modes all tend to be far too bright and low contrast. Even tweaking the settings in user mode or changing colour temperature failed, over and over again, to give me a screen I felt I could live with using the DVI input. I almost decided to revert to VGA as it has slightly more options for adjustment.

Indeed, I almost gave up altogether and was thinking of returning the monitor. As a last resort I went into the display settings of my graphics card, something I've only rarely ever done with previous displays. Incorporated in the advanced display settings were further adjustments for the monitor display, which was correctly identified. Leaving the monitor itself on the best settings I had been able to find, I tweaked the advanced display management controls and, within fifteen minutes, had a set of images I was very happy with.

I guess that shows that the monitor is capable of a very good display but the controls on the screen itself seem to lack the fine sensitivity to get the best result. Combining them with adjusting the output of the graphics card, however, seems to allow for that extra finesse that brings out the best in the display. I can't help feeling, though, that the controls on the monitor itself should be rather better.

So, if at first you can't get a brightness/contrast/colour saturation level that suits you, do try your graphics options on your computer. The monitor is certainly capable of a good display but you have to work at it. One further thing I've noticed is that viewing angle is fairly critical - more so than I expected. Brightness and contrast fall off quite quickly with modest head movement. Not a major issue but a further niggle.

Hence the reason for 3 rather than 4 stars. Although the final result was a good 4 stars in terms of value for money on this display, the amount of fiddling required was enough to bring it down a notch.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dead Pixels, 13 Dec 2013
I seen a few people with dead pixels on arrival and thought they were just unlucky , I was wrong. I recieved my first one with a dead pixel right in the centre and i swiftly got a refund and a new one . 3 months down the a dead pixel appears on the new one. Avoid this monitor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow what a screen Looks awesome on gaming:, 18 July 2012
A great screen for the price. The LED looks awesome when in gaming mode such as black ops, Alan wake.. would deffo recomment.

My Rig:

Amd phenom X6 1100t @3.3 oc 3.9 (all cores)
Windows 7 ultimate 64bit
16Gb ddr3 1333
AMD MSI HD 6970 2gb
1t sata3 Harddrive
Gtx coolermaster 650w PSU

5.0 out of 5 stars Great monitor for the money, 7 Jun 2012
Euan Viveash - See all my reviews
This is a great monitor for the money. Ordered and arrived in three days...Not a dead pixel, was up and running within two minutes of opening the box. Great for games and image is crystal clear. Looks sleek as well. Excellent value for money. Well happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dead happy., 20 Sep 2011
Peter Williamson (UK) - See all my reviews
Low power consumption, mainly because it uses LED technology I guess. Picture quality is also top-notch, colours especially. You will not get a better monitor for this about of money. It's also just won best on test in Novembers ed of PC Pro Mag.