4.0 out of 5 stars A good game, but its not Ace Combat.
I'm a huge fan of the Ace Combat series so I understand where people are coming from when people say that this game isn't Ace Combat.. The things that everyone loved about the past games were the unrealistic stories, super weapons and of course the realistic flying! It made the game a one of a kind am I right?

But now the good people at Namco have decided the...
Published on 17 Oct 2011 by Thomas

3.0 out of 5 stars Passable but this is not an Ace Combat game.
Published on 14 Oct 2011 by K. Ramwell

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Passable but this is not an Ace Combat game., 14 Oct 2011
K. Ramwell (England) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Ace Combat Assault Horizon - Limited Edition (PS3) (Video Game)
As a long standing Ace Combat fan, my first being Ace Combat 2 on Playstation, I have had high hopes for this game but I am somewhat disappointed; gone is the world of Strangereal and in steps Earth; there's no more earning money/credits in missions to buy planes. Instead you are given them meaning there's no real sense of achievement or goal in campaign other than to just find out the story. It is closer to Hawx than the AC of old.

The story and gameplay so far seems painstakingly influenced by the Modern Warfare series (something the devs themselves admitted). This has annoyed me somewhat since it is ruining games that I have loved up until this point by trying to be "accessible" to a wider audience. I have no problem with making games accessible to more people, but this doesn't mean dumb the controls and gameplay down. The most apparent example of this is the default control mode, literally left moves left and down moves down; no barrel rolling, aileron rolling or performing manouevres (thankfully this can be changed in settings). It's almost impossible to crash with this setting on and there's no challenge whatsoever. Another example of simplified gameplay is the semi scripted dogfighting mode, initated manually when in close range to another jet. This physics-defying mode places the camera into a sort of "over the shoulder" angle for the jet and the computer essentially takes over the path of your aircraft whilst you concentrate on gunning down the enemy ace. Fun on paper but in actuality in this mode you cannot crash, I have seriously aimed for buildings on purpose only to have the computer kick in and guide me away. The mode itself would be good if it didn't just spoonfeed you kills and avoid terrain in an almost quick time event. What's more is that the game forces you too use this hand-holding mode by making enemy squadron leaders (aces) almost impossible to hit conventionally. I understand wanting to introduce new elements but I don't want to be given kills on a plate. Another example of the almost baby-esque gameplay are the sidegunner helicopter missions. You don't even have to aim properly, just within 5-10 metres of an enemy is sufficient. It would also have you believe that Black Hawks are sponges for rockets. Allied AI jets are next to useless now. On many occasions I've had upwards of 2 or 3 enemy jets on my tail whilst my allies just flew around doing nothing, presumably to make the environment look pretty. Even in the PS2 versions, a whole generation earlier, you could issue basic commands to your wingmen. As for the story, though it is...ok there is no player immersion. You play a bunch of characters who you hop between from mission to mission and the fact that you actually see their faces just blows the immersion for me, almost in a breaking the 4th wall way. What happened to the days of Mobius 1 and Cipher? I actually felt like those characters with their emotional personal story behind the war which is further enhanced by not seeing them, so I could project myself into their shoes. With this instalment I feel like I'm playing another "America hell yeah!" game, with some bland characters just doing what they're paid to do.

Overall this game is a complete letdown, I'm very critical of games normally but this game deserves all of the negatives being thrown at it. Dogfigthing mode is forced down your throat; the enemy cheats all too obviously (planes identical to yours going faster than yours whilst being more manouevrable at high velocities); it's impossible to manually shake enemies on your tail if they're in dogfight mode with you (you have to use the flawed L2+R2 system); constantly respawning enemy jets (I've had some appear right in front of me, at least make them fly from the edge of the map like you used to) and the ally AI being absolutely useless in helping get jets off your tail and even shooting down other enemies, which is what they're meant to do! The only positives, and they are very minor positives are that the story is passable and the controls can be reverted back to that of standard Ace Combat games. It was bold of Project Aces to make such radical changes to the gameplay of a proven series, but in this reviewer's opinion it really hasn't worked. It is an oversimplified spin-off that, whilst satisfactory in some areas, doesn't live up to the history of awe inspiring Ace Combat games. New fans will probably enjoy this game but longstanding AC'ers like myself will probably find themselves thinking more about what could have been.

5/10 overall, or 3/5 on Amazon's scale rouding up. (The fun factor is also 3, I reduced this after further playing but for some reason it won't edit).

1.0 out of 5 stars dissapointing, 20 Jan 2012
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
modern warfare now with airplanes...
not ace combat its story is the most generic "russians are bad americans are the saviors of the world" please avoid buying it.
one of my first games was the original ace combat for the ps1 (japanese import as well) and it was brilliant. belkan war is for me still one of the best games and ace combat 6 is exelent.
well they decided that a "realistic story" was better so no cool fights any more.
disappointing and boring would the the only way to describe it to any ace combat fan who thinks about buying it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good game, but its not Ace Combat., 17 Oct 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars

But now the good people at Namco have decided the mix it up a bit by setting the game in the boring real world and making the flying as unrealistic as possible... Why? Who knows.. Maybe they want to reach out to a new audience, I mean they are calling this Ace Combat reborn.

Is it a bad game? No. Is it something Ace Combat fans will like? Probably not. Is this game right for you? Maybe, if your the kind of person that is laid back when it comes to gaming, who plays Guitar hero and games like Black Ops on easy and still feel like you rock because of the flashing colours and endless explosions then yes I think you would like this game. However if your a fan of the older Ace Combat games then I would wait until the game is cheaper before trying it for yourself.

Hope this was helpful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Return, 16 Oct 2011
P. E. Jones "metalpaul1000" (Woking) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I have to disagree with the other review - i think the game is awesome. It is set in a real world setting and the cities etc look cool. Its a shame yes, that the previous series world is not here. I would really like to be Mobious 1 again! However the moment i started playing i was smiling! the music, the graphics, the adrenaline rush it gives is what i wanted. THere are on rails sections, helicopter sections and it breaks up the dogfighting. Now the new dog fighting mode takes a bit of getting used too but once you do you will be trailing the SOB's and reversing and counter attacking like second nature. The story is ok but i dont really play Ace combat games for the story! i want to be a pilot shooting planes. That is what i get and then some. If you like the previous games in the series then you will love this. HAWX didnt do it for me and i am a loyal fan to the series. Give the demo a go. If you like that you'll love this.

A very fun exciting game that i really enjoy and would highly recommend

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing. [Remember to turn off pilot assist and turn on classic controls.], 31 Dec 2011
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
I was a huge fan of the Air Combat/Ace Combat series. It was always my favourite combat flight sim games. Weirdly in the current game generation 360/ps3 there are very few flight sims, and before Assault Horizon came out, there was only HAWX on the PS3.

HAWX is a pretty fun and decent game, it pretty much maintains the feel of old, albeit slightly arcadey, however many of us have been looking forward to Ace Combat Assault Horizon for a long time as it meant the best series was coming to take over again.

The joke is, Ace Combat is now more arcadey than any of it's competitors ever were. You may have heard comparisons with Call Of Duty Modern Warfare, and scratched your heads. "This is a flight sim", you'd say. "Modern Warfare is an fps", you'd go on to say.

Well, a large portion of Ace Combat Assault horizon is literally rip off levels from the Modern Warfare games: shooting from an ac130, helicopters, nothing to do with jet fighters in dog fights. There's even first person walking scenes, where you look around and interact with other pilots..pseudo cut-scenes if you will.

But yes there's jet fighting as well. However it's been wrecked. By default, the planes now handle like cars, you need to change to 'classic contracts' for yaw and pitch controls, also pilot assist prevents stalls and crashes. The new Dog Fighting Mode, now means you no longer need to fly. You just control the gun. The plane automatically follows the enemy, making impossible turns between buildings (sometimes sideways) as you just aim and shoot. But it's worse than Call Of Duty, as you not only have infinite machine gun, you have hundreds of homing missles, that cannot miss, as the target's continually auto-locked for you. It's basically a game that plays itself for the most part.

The graphics are beautiful though, and while HAWX is the better game, it's graphics are pretty terrible now by comparison. Also, the soundtrack is great (though so is HAWX's). The last few jet missions are pretty intense, and as long as you have pilot assist and 'classic' controls configured, can be fun due to the sheer number of enemies that overwhelms even with auto-aim dog fight mode and hundreds of missles in your arsenal.

The story mode has a lot of oddities, such as only allowing you to progress if you kill enemies in certain ways [machine gun, 360 flip then attack, etc) which means you may find yourself shooting enemies for ages before you finally unlock the next stage of the level. There's no indication for this either so it's pretty frustrating.

I was pretty disappointed by this as the original Air/Ace Combat games were far superior, and it seems now HAWX can officially claim the crown of best current combat flight game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gunning for the Top, 17 Oct 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I'm thoroughly enjoying this game. I understand some die hard AC fans may find some aspects of this title unlikeable, but I think it's great. It has that 'Star Wars' feel that HAWX attempted to achieve but never quite succeeded, I'm not even going to mention HAWX 2 - that was one game where development went backwards. But for speed, explosions (it can be quite challenging at times - so shooting down an enemy plane feels rewarding) and adrenaline - this game ticks all the boxes. And for me the helicopter levels are a welcome add-on, so you don't just play in one style. Same goes for the AC-130 levels - better than it was on COD. There, I've said it. Played the campaign for a good few hours now - looking forward to going online. Top game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Per Ardua Ad Astra...er...or something, 21 Nov 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This game is excellent. I was hesitant in buying it because of the volume of negative reviews but looking at the gameplay on YouTube tipped the balance. When the game arrived, I was surprised by the packaging because it's very well presented in a tidy little box containing a CD of the soundtrack. I apprehensively put the good packaging down as a cheap ploy from the manufacturers to distract you from other less-than-ideal aspects of the game but I was hooked as soon as I started playing. The graphics are state-of-the-art so everything, especially your plane looks very well rendered.

One of the gripes shared amongst other reviewers is the Dog Fighting Mode (DFM) you have to engage when you encounter certain types of assailant but that's done really well. In fact, it added to the general excitement. It may get real old real quick but so far I have no complaints. I've played a couple of Ace Combat games on different systems so can sort of see why people might dislike it because it's different but I'd put that down to evolution rather than betrayal on the part of the game's developers.

The only problem I had with it when I first started playing was the controls because you can't do a barrel roll using the default settings but this can be changed. In summary however, I would recommend this for those who want an exciting arcade-like flight 'sim' but probably wouldn't recommend it to someone who wants a carbon copy of previous Ace Combat games because it has changed some very key things.

2.0 out of 5 stars "So, where's the eject button?", 16 Oct 2011
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
The problem with Ace Combat in this current iteration is that it has simply forgotten what it was good at. Most games receiving the re-boot treatment are noted because of a decline in quality that forces such a move upon the developer. In Ace Combat's position though it is unnecessary as Ace Combat was a frequently improving and entertaining series, often mixing conventional (often overwhelming) aerial combat with a kind of star wars presentation that kept things exciting. Mix that with competent AI and you had some fun games with very chatty wingmen conveying a story to you as you play on. This game keeps the chatty but insists on putting you in other less fun craft. The helicopter missions are awful, I felt like I was aching to get back into the cockpit of a fighter jet doing what the series did best but instead I was stuck with awful controls often hiding while my health regenerates. Yup regenerating health, even in a plane? Modern Warfare is a great game but to plagiarise it so completely is not what this series should have done. I wouldn't have minded if the heli' missions were shorter but I often found myself sighing heavily as I was told more hostiles were on their way, so that would mean I'm not having fun. The problem is you've become some kind of omnipotent aerial God who needs to protect (and you will a lot!) masses of incompetent NPC's with a 'Mission Failed' screen always so close. The allied AI prefer to spin around in circles doing very little, yes they communicate that they are doing something but I think their cockpit's must be smoking from the amount of cigarettes and coffee being expended while missiles sit idly under their wings. The main problem is this becomes frustrating as you zip between objectives hoping you play the way the dev's want you to but on higher difficulties this becomes impossible as the enemy are very aggressive and you can only be on one place at a time. I never minded the whole dog fight mode thing. It feels quite exhilarating being pulled to the ground as you focus on shooting down the enemy at high speeds. And you can abort when you want so it's not too restrictive. However the game does become easier the more you do it. I was a huge fan of the XBOX 360 Ace combat game as I could often give the best pilots online a run for their money by pulling off tight turns and sharp missile hits but in this game I can't it feels like when they lock onto me a fishing hook attaches itself to my fighter and I'm tethered to them. This isn't fun, there's little skill to chasing someone down this way, it's more fulfilling to patiently fly attempting to get on the 6 of your enemy and then choose your shot carefully. Ace Combat has never been about realism (200+ missiles under your wings/Vertical climbs without blackouts etc) but the fact that they've tried to make your pilot a jack of all trades is a poor move. If a pilot is good at piloting a plane why must I waste time flying a helicopter? As far as I was concerned the only good thing about heli's in previous Ace Combat games was that you could shoot them easier. In conclusion this game is a frustrating deviation, more likely to be remembered as a failed experiment as the next instalment promises to go "back to its roots." You may carve some enjoyment out of it but the frustration is a pricey payoff.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ignore the moaners - it's great!, 3 April 2012
James Nunn "Omniemptor" (Halifax, England) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I took a gamble when I bought this, but what ultimately made me decide to buy Ace Combat Assault Horizon - Limited Edition (PS3) were the reviews where people had been saying how it wasn't like the old Ace Combat games. I remember playing those games on PSOne and PS2, and being bitterly disappointed that I'd spent money on such boring, cripplingly difficult games.

Ace Combat Assault Horizon - Limited Edition (PS3) is, thankfully, NOTHING like the Ace Combat games of old.

It's the kind of game most of us dreamed of one day playing as we used our imagination to make Afterburner feel like Top Gun; It's the kind of game that puts you so perfectly into the moment that you end each mission shaken and with limbs trembling from the G forces; It's a game where the sense of immersion makes the corny plot feel like a work of literary genius.

Controls, graphics, and gameplay are fantastic, and NOTHING beats cruising at 10,000 feet and guiding a bomb into some terrorists toilet.

The only reason I DIDN'T give it 5 stars was because it was all over too quickly!

Get it, you really won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 31 Dec 2013
Fun game with lotsa add ons and extras great for the fans highly recommend in every way cheap and fun

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Ace Combat Assault Horizon - Limited Edition (PS3)
18.47