I quite enjoyed the first of the series of the Princess Diaries. Meg Cabot brings a fresh perspective to the usual, run of the mill teen romances and it is great that Mia and her friends are not vapid, cheerleader types. I read the first book to make sure it was suitable for my daughter, by the way, not because it's the sort of thing I usually pick up. I had to vet this volume for a reader at school (I am the school librarian). We are only a primary school so we tend not to recommend things with too much sexual knowingness in them. This didn't make the grade for our shelves, although only because of passing references to breasts and menstruation rather than full on sexual intercourse.

I was expecting to quite enjoy reading this, but I feel that the book really didn't have much to say, and it smacks of Cabot stretching the franchise as far as she can take it (and I understand that there are several more in this series after this, the fourth volume). What happens in this book could be summarised in a paragraph and stretched to a chapter if you were really pushing it. An entire volume dedicated to whinging about whether your boyfriend really loves you or not is just too tedious for words, and the book is not cute or funny enough to sustain the appeal.
on 19 September 2002
"Mia Goes Fourth" is the funniest one in Princess diaries! When turning the pages, I just can't stop laughing at Mia's ridiculous thoughts, Grandmere's crazy idea, and the countless funny sentences. This book is not only a light reading, but also a book that will make you feel pretty good after reading it, because you've laughed so much! Can't wait to see the next one!
on 21 September 2002
This book is just as good, if not better than the other three! Mia has finally got together with Michael, the only trouble is she's stuck in Genovia doing her royal duties! When she gets back many disasters happen, including a ball and her granmere trying to fix her up with her cousin! If you enjoyed the last three you'll love this!!!!
on 6 July 2003
Ths was one of the best books I've ever read , I could hardley put it down ! Teenagers could really relate to some of the problems that Mia writes about . Also , It's written in a really funny way , and you never know whats going to happen next . I think that Meg Cabot is a brilliant writer , and I can't wait to read the next Princess Diaries books , and other books that she writes .
on 11 October 2002
I think it was good, i mean, i enjoyed it, dont get me wrong, but it was nothing special. Meg Cabot's a brilliant writer, you can connect with Mia and i loved hearing more from her story, but it was nothing new. The books basically finsihed well...with very little more to say after the third book. So..although i'll be hypocritical and buy any more that meg writes, i just think that this didnt take the series anywhere.
on 8 June 2014
always an amazing book my meg Cabot , it's one of my favourite teen books of all time and worth the read !!!!!!!!
on 26 December 2012
at first its all the usull princess dairies stuff but then they try to cram to much unexpected things in the one book especially sinsenothing really happens in the otber ones before. I think she was trying to make up for that but she is a really good writer and makes you feel like your her so all in all goodread but the best princess dairies book. ;)
on 29 May 2014
I loved this book and I am so happy mia got what she wanted! it was a pleasure to read x
on 27 June 2008
I love this series, Mia's diaries are SO funny but I must say I agree with some of the other reviews about the fact that Mia does obsesse alot but hey! She's a teetnager! And, I think that this book is different than the first three and Mia deals with different kinds of issues. Amazing the situations she gets herself into.Lilly is still awesome.
on 22 May 2008
This book is fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Romantic espically the last chapter.Whenever I`m sad I pick this book up and read the last chapter(I`m very weird).The best book in whole Princess Diaries series(its a tough choice though)Michael and Mia forever!!!!!!!!!!!