5.0 out of 5 stars Darren shan: Demonata: BEC
Published on 4 Dec 2006 by Mr. M. P. Darby

3.0 out of 5 stars I actually preferred this to Slawter
Published on 22 Jan 2007 by Gotta Love Freddie!

5.0 out of 5 stars Darren shan: Demonata: BEC, 4 Dec 2006
Mr. M. P. Darby "sam" (England, Gravesend, Kent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Demonata (4) - Bec (Hardcover)
Im sorry, but there is no way that anyone can say this book lacks a compelong story. Ok maybe not completly original, all of the other three share roughly the same story, with the main difference being the characters, but as others say, I found the book utterly unputdownable. I believe Darren Shan to be the best modern day writter and this book made me realise this even more.

I think it is very clever the way he writes in celtic times, using words people of that time would have said, for example: Tuath meaning country. There is a word guide in the back of the book that states the meaning of the strange words.

THIS BOOK IS DEFINATLEY NOT BORING I coulndt put it down.

I also thought that the story had a good ending, although I can see what others mean when they say that it was weak.

It is worth buying, so too are the other three of his series,

Lord loss

Demon theif

Slawter

I would advise buying the other three before reading this, as the fourth book explains mysteries from the other three books.

His acclaimed vampire series is also very good

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!, 13 Nov 2006
Mr. A. P. Palmer "Tony" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Demonata (4) - Bec (Hardcover)
This book is a must buy! Very gripping and a great story. THe book is set in the past where tribes fought for they're lives. Bec goes on an adventure to find a young boy they call "Run fast"'s tribe. they later find out that the only people left of his tribe is the magical druid drust. they embark on a quest to shut down the demonatas source and come along lots of events on the way. Brillaint book! Before you buy this i suggest getting the first three books as these are equall as good:

1: Lord Loss

2: Demon Thief

3: Slawter

4: Bec

5.0 out of 5 stars If only I could write stunners like this!!!, 27 Oct 2006
This review is from: The Demonata (4) - Bec (Hardcover)
Darren Shan is one of those few authors who I cannot put down. I rank him up there with Eoin Colfer, JK Rowling, Robert Muchamore and Anthony Horowitz in my book collection. If you haven't read this series, you're missing out on some great reading and this book is the best in this series yet. Without trying to give too much away, WHAT A SHOCKER of a finish. A word of warning.....if you buy this series of books and especially this book -BEC- you will most probably have to buy the books that follow!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unputdownable, 13 Nov 2006
This review is from: The Demonata (4) - Bec (Hardcover)
I have read all darren shan books and was so eager to read this. When i got it it was so good i read it 24 7. Its all you exspect a darren shan book to be, scary, exciting and very dark. Lord loss is back to his best in this thrilling adventure that you MUST READ

3.0 out of 5 stars I actually preferred this to Slawter, 22 Jan 2007
This review is from: The Demonata (4) - Bec (Hardcover)
I've been reading Darren Shan for years now, and I've kept up to date with all his books. For me, this series is nowhere near as good as his last series, but it's still a compelling and unique enough read. I didn't particularly like Slawter - well, I did, but I thought it was the worst of the series - so I was pleased to find that I enjoyed Bec. Nevertheless, I'm still waiting for the magic of his last series to appear, because I'm a little unimpressed with the Demonata so far. It's good, and I can't deny that Shan is a capable writer who knows his genre well, but I'm finding the individual books a little same-y.

Bec introduces us to a new set of characters and I'm glad about that, because that made it more interesting than Slawter. What I also enjoy are the small ways that Shan connects all the books, and it was nice to see the beginning of the curse on the Grady family. I think Demon Thief is my favourite so far - I can't wait to see more of Kernel - but Bec is more on a level with the first book than Slawter. I think Shan just needs to shake things up a little because Slawter especially felt like it had no impact on the series, and was merely a filler book.

I think I'm in the minority with preferring Bec to Slawter. I guess it was rather slow paced and there's a lot of portions where few significant events happen, but I still found it enjoyable. And, as always, Shan's refusal to pander to the expectations of children's books is refreshing, although I find some of his gore scenes a little too glorified in a way that's not creepy, but just feels as if he wanted to be gory.

I don't recommend reading all the books at once. The books took a plunge with Slawter for me, and still aren't quite back up to the standard of Lord Loss and the Demon Thief. Don't let this put you off - the series is definitely worth a read and Darren Shan's writing is enjoyable as always.

4.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 7 Jun 2008
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Bec has never led a normal life, or was never given the chance to. Born only remembering her mother and how she passed away, Bec was saved by a village's priestess who urged the village leaders to let her live. Making her the priestess's apprentice, Bec was able to learn the magic and potions that would be used in aid of those who fought in battles.

Unfortunately for Bec, she didn't know how many battles her village would be facing.

Never a quiet night, Bec's village is continuously invaded by demons, the Fomorii, who come to tear the village apart. And every night Bec must use what she has learned, which isn't much since the priestess was killed way before she was able to pass on everything she knew.

Used to having other villagers come through, Bec's village is visited by Run Fast, a boy who says that his village is in trouble. Unsure of his story or of what side he is on, the warriors feel an obligation to help and so set off to end their fight. Usually the priestess does not go along with the warriors, but this time Bec sees fit to travel with them, hoping that this journey will help her figure out what troubles her and hopefully to become one with her surroundings and her magic.

Fighting off the demons is not an easy feat, especially since both worlds have just been connected, making it easier for the demons to enter, multiplying their numbers every time one is killed. Magic is what destroys them -- and the lives of the villagers and the warriors are in the hands of Bec.

Thrilling and different from the other novels in the series, BEC is a courageous novel that leaps off the pages and plays with our imagination. The descriptions are vivid and the story is unique. With an ending that will leave you breathless, BEC is a great addition to the already popular series, THE DEMONATA.

Reviewed by: Randstostipher "tallnlankyrn" Nguyen

5.0 out of 5 stars Bec, 28 April 2008
C. Stannard "Book-a-holic" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
Having written this review after reading the following book, I can easily disagree with a few comments of this book having nothing to do with the storyline and it being just a bit of background information.

The contents of this book feature heavily in the books to come - so I recommend reading them all in the order in which they state. And I also recommend that people withold their bad reviews until they can say they have read the following books (this is only book 4 out of 10 in the series), and only then can they say if they feel it doesn't relate.

I personally think it's amazing how when reading these books with, so far, 3 different main characters, you can still feel familiar with the others. For example, having read Lord Loss with the story about Grubbs, then Demon Thief with the story about Kernel, it is so easy to carry on reading from the perspective of a previous character without the feeling of interruption from another character. And I owe this to the marvellous writing skills of Darren Shan.

And I would like to remind others that these are not supposed to be highly interlectual books, with long sentences etc. As you can see from having read it, it is written from the main characters point of view, and most people don't think on the spot in deep complexities. Shan portrays the individuality of their speech and keeps it real.

All in all, I think that the books are a great read. They may not be complexly written, but that's not how the characters would ordinarily think about things, the fast pace in the present tense keeps you on your toes, allowing your imagination to flow freely through the story.

I can't wait for the next books!!

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 ++++++ stars! unbelievable, 28 Feb 2008
this book is utterly unputdowneable, as it says on the back! i thought it was quite qierd, being not my usualy type of girlie chick flick kind of book. but i gradually got interested. I was goin to just return it to the library when it was due (i had it overdue! woops!) but when i was told someone was requesting it (rightly so!) i kind of rushed through it, and realised i LIKED the book. theres so many twists and turns its amazing. im impressed bby darren shans work. and because ive skipped ahead, i think i was even was even more surprised because of that reason coz i had no back knowledge of lord loss or anything as i hadnt read any previous ones. so wen they spotted the light red lumpy floating thing i never kbnew it was lord loss, or about the fact he can talk and the demon masters etc.

maybe better to read this first!?

darren shan is a master at masterpieces!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good but worst in the series, 9 Oct 2007
D. Page - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Demonata (4) - Bec (Hardcover)
This book is amazing like all the other books in the domanata series but i have to say it is the worst. It lacks in the commical side that the other books have. The story is very clevely done and this book links strongley to book 5 and 6 even though it is set in a different place and time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 11 Feb 2007
This review is from: The Demonata (4) - Bec (Hardcover)
When I purchased Bec I knew that there were going to be new characters anyone who has read his Demonata books would know that every 2nd book explains the history of the Demonata, the Grady curse and the Diciples.This book explains Lord Loss's facination with chess and many other things as well.This book was placed in celtic times, which I liked,

however

I couldn't work out where!

I enjoyed Bec so much! A fantastic read.