4.0 out of 5 stars Worth a revisit
When I first listened to this album, I found it a bit unfathomable as the band obviously revisited the direction they took for Kid A. I listened to it a few times, didn't really buy it and left it alone for a couple of years.
I revisited it recently and found myself getting it and actually rather liking it. Unlike Kid A, there is a coherence about what is here,...
Published 5 months ago by Chris Mannion

3.0 out of 5 stars easier to admire than love
I've always found The King Of Limbs a very interesting album. Released a few years after the fantastic In Rainbows, an album that rightly met with almost universal praise for mixing the experimentation and fearlessness of Kid A with the accessible melody of their earlier albums, it's instantly recognisable as a Radiohead record. That same sense of bold, beautifully...
Published 26 days ago by MikeAndCiara

‹ Previous | 111 12 13 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Oi! Radiohead fans! Stop kidding yourself! This album sucks!, 14 April 2011
N Snow "Nick Snow" (Derbyshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The King of Limbs (Audio CD)
My, oh my what has happened to Radiohead?

You need only go back and listen to the incredible album 'The Bends' to hear a talented, experimental indie band at the peak of their careers. Then you have 'The King of Limbs'. Let's draw up a contrast shall we?

The Bends was an album packed with 12 quality tracks, some downtempo, some energetic, all drenched in melancholy, feeling and beauty. Tracks like 'Fade Out', 'High and Dry' and 'Just' stole the limelight, while other non-singles like 'PLanet Telex', 'Bones', 'My Iron Lung' and 'Nice Dream' offered diversity and depth. The lyrics were soothingly beautiful in places and appropriately aggressive in others. The guitar work ranged from slow, gentle strumming to skillfully-timed and well-written solos. The album flowed magnificently as each track complimented one another, building into an epic finish which rounded off with similar strength and consistency. I even thought it was better than it's successor 'OK Computer', which has often been referred to as the greatest album of all time.

Then We have TKOL, a ridiculously short album, almost totally devoid of any quality. Gone are the energetic rock songs, or the beautifully melodic numbers. Gone is that unforgettable Radiohead beauty, only to have been replaced by some Kid-A-inspired electronic drivvel. The single track 'Lotus Flower' just about hits the mark and recaptures the appeal of their experimental side from the late 90s, while the album filler tracks like 'Bloom' and 'Morning Mr Magpie' are simply terrible, and so static it's just unnatural. The lyrics are sparse and much more negative. The guitar work is now almost completely second fiddle. The album has no flow to it and is basically a bunch of disjointed tracks stuck together in a terrible way. The tracks are diverse, but only in a way that draws strength from the good songs, resulting in a terribly confused album.

As an electronic enthusiast I believe I do have some right to judge this band in this manner. With 'Kid A' they might not have made the best album of their career, but I understood what they were trying to do. But with this album, its anyone's guess. If they were trying to be like Aphex or Ae, they've failed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kid A 's long lost quieter brother !!!, 28 Mar. 2011
This review is from: The King of Limbs (Audio CD)
The King of Limbs is Radioheads eigth studio album & only a megre 37 minutes in length. So you would expect no filler, unfortunately this is not the case. In my view this album is a huge step backwards from the glourious "In Rainbows".

Although disappointing there are some tracks which are stamped with Radiohead quality, inparticular "Lotus Flower", "Codex" & "Seperator".

On the whole a bit of a slow burner & really quite low- key, I'm hoping the guitars return at some point.

To sum up if you are a Radiohead fan like me, you will buy it & love it ...eventually. But if you are a part time fan i.e like "The Bends" & " OK Computer", probably best to avoid...

3.0 out of 5 stars King of Limbs: A fantasy, 28 Mar. 2011
This review is from: The King of Limbs (Audio CD)
Scene: A luxurious recording studio in Oxfordshire. Two middle-aged men, Thom and Nigel, are playing a hand of whist and finishing off a vegan cream tea.

Nigel: S'pose we should start in a minute.
Thom: S'pose.
Nigel; Be good to put this one to bed, eh?
Thom: Tuck this sucker up.
Nigel: Anyone else coming in?
Thom: Like who?
Nigel: Naughty.
Thom: 'Bing-bong. Your plane is now ready to board.'
Nigel: What?
Thom: Passengers. They're all just passengers.
Nigel: Tut.
ThoM: Don't tut me, man.
Nigel: Keep your hat on.
Thom: Keep your hair on.
Nigel: Cheap.
Thom: Don't make hat cracks, then.
Nigel: Alrighty. We got a beaty moany one, a re-jigged old one, another one, the Burial rip off one, that slow one Ralgex...
Thom: Ho ho.
Nigel; Durex...
Thom: Yeah yeah.
Nigel: Four X?
Thom: Stop man, you're killing me.
Nigel: How many's that? Five?
Thom: There's Seperator.
Nigel: That's a demo.
Thom: Your point is?
Nigel: It's also an average demo.
Thom: Your point is? Six. That's enough. Release it as a suppository. On prescription.
Nigel: Let's do Big Boots.
Thom: Yawn.
Nigel: What then?
Thom: Search me.
Nigel: Six tracks in three and a half years... (shakes head).
Thom: Well, what haven't we got?
Nigel: Acoustic ballad. Gotta have one of those.
Thom: Give up the Ghost?
Nigel: Too Blue Nile?
Thom: Where's me loop pedal? Only take ten minutes.
Nigel: Fair point. And we need a sort of classic one with a chorus and a middle eight where you sing all high.
Thom: Slap some biffy drums and gurgles on Lotus Flower and we're done and dusted.
Nigel: Genius.
Thom: Another four stars from the broadsheets.

Pause.

Nigel: Wassa matter?
Thom: Not great though, is it? I mean...this is Radiohead, man.
Nigel: I hear you.
Thom: Dah. Let's scrap it. Start again.
Nigel Yeah?
Thom: Yeah.
Nigel: Got my finger on the wipe button.
Thom: Push it.
Nigel: Yeah?
Thom: Yeah.

Nigel pushes the button.

1.0 out of 5 stars TIME FOR RADIOHEAD FANS TO JUMP SHIP, 12 April 2011
This review is from: The King of Limbs (Audio CD)
How many times can Radiohead release variations on 'Kid A' and get away with it?

A few years ago, they named an album 'Hail to The Thief'. This was a reference to the band, quite happy to rip off German electronic acts and take money off fans who were hoping they might do something as good as 'The Bends' or 'OK Computer'.

Then there was the 'Rainbows' era, which produced lots of newsprint, internet debate and hand-wringing about the way the music was distributed. Shame the band didn't produce anything worth listening to more than once.

This is not a BAD album. There's simply nothing new here. Again. Uneasy electronica with Yorke wailing over the top. An absence of guitars.

At the turn of the century, we expected more from Radiohead and we were clearly wrong to do so.

My tip is to go and listen to Cluster, Harmonia and Can, where a lot of this music happened first. Hail to the thief, indeed...

2.0 out of 5 stars Just doesn't make me want to listen to it, 19 Jan. 2012
This review is from: The King of Limbs (Audio CD)
I have been a fan of radiohead since OK Computer, and this is their album I am least likely to listen to, except perhaps Pablo Honey. There is just nothing that grabs me. even the albums that I have taken a time to get used to, there has been a bit here or there that has kept me coming back, but not this one I'm afraid. It's not awful, it's just a bit meh.

Have taken a bit of time before posting to see if it grew on me...it didn't. sorry guys.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love conquers all, 4 Jun. 2011
This review is from: The King of Limbs (Audio CD)
Personally I hate Radiohead but my wife thinks that they are the dog's whatsits. This cd was purchased solely for her enjoyment & unfortunately was received in a timely fashion & of the usual excellent quality that we have come to expect from Amazon's products.

1.0 out of 5 stars Twaddle, 7 Jun. 2011
This review is from: The King of Limbs (Audio CD)
A mish mash of complete and utter twaddle. No feeling or soul just ambling along on who knows where we are type of tosh. Honestly get real boys .......!!! you used to be good ......but this is pure indulgence for the nerdy types . All these posts about sublime and great music ????????? sorry i must be non stoned !!!!!!. And anyway Pink floyd done it sooooo much bettter the first time round. There is progressive and theres indulgence for the sake of it . Call me what you like , but its not a patch on In rainbows and certainly not in Ok league, but then that was not door bell music.

4.0 out of 5 stars What happened to the spirit of 'Street Spirit' in a good sense..it does seem a long way away now?, 28 Mar. 2011
This review is from: The King of Limbs (Audio CD)
I have complete faith in Radiohead's musical direction. What other well know bands are treading such an innovative path? The way they traze-blazingly attempt to merge rock/pop with techno sensibilities that often times approach a version of freeform jazz is nothing short of inspirational; they have an unerring sense of the avante garde challenging your average pop guard's listenability. Nevertheless, there is something troubling in a borderline mediocrity way - dare I say it - that I have not encountered on Radiohead's other albums which I can only attribute to the somewhat subdued production and limited track count.

Radiohead are after all in the inenviable position of being able to do just about what they like for their art - which can be a good and bad thing. It is the case sometimes having it all produces rather less, and less (i.e. the number of tracks) doesn't seem to transmit the band's sophisticated pioneering energy that is evident in the 'Live From The Basement:King Of Limbs' recording. Watching this video gave me a totally different take on Radiohead's latest experiment and I was once again 'one' forever and a tad guilt ridden for ever doubting..

It is also to be expected that Radiohead's critically appraised albums containing more accessible songs are now starting to be scattered thinly throughout their successful long oeuvre and hindsight might show KOL to fit this rule neatly. However the jury is out for me on whether KOL is a V sign to anything remotely approaching commerciality, when every so often Radiohead fans are obligingly dealt some choice pickings (al a the much feted 'In Rainbows) or instead it might be unearthed as a hidden gem by told-you-so aficionados.

Therefore don't fully expect to viscerally bop in joy to most of this latest output, but probably you never thought you would any way. Radiohead still achieve the almost unique distinction of an internationally garnered British indie band that positions you in musical spaces other similar wayfarers could not ever hope to reach, and yes, 9 out of 10 cool musical cats still prefer them.

2.0 out of 5 stars Radiohead's worst album, 28 Mar. 2011
This review is from: The King of Limbs (Audio CD)
Firstly, let me say that I am a big Radiohead fan and do not relish the fact I have awarded the album 2 stars.
To be honest, as much as I like experimental music, I have always been more of a fan of Radiohead's well crafted/melodic
songs.
This being said, even an album like 'Kid A' contained music with wonderful melody.
King of Limbs just does not do it for me. I have tried too, with 4 complete plays.
Radiohead managed to sell 'In Rainbows' twice! Very clever, during this difficult economic climate.
I will be surprised if everyone who bought the new album as digital, will be investing in the physical.
Very disappointing indeed!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Dull, boring, unlistenable. Unless..., 29 Mar. 2011
This review is from: The King of Limbs (Audio CD)
Dull, boring, unlistenable. Unless... of course, you're one of those Radiohead fans that hail every tuneless release of theirs as the best thing since records began.

If you actually have an ear, a brain, and some semblance of musical taste, avoid this. If however, you're the type of hipster geek who is afraid of admitting they've got it wrong, and who posts hysterical replies to negative reviews on websites like this just to try and convince themselves that they haven't wasted half their life, then please buy this record and keep Thom Yorke wallowing in the multi-millionare misery he's accustomed to.

‹ Previous | 111 12 13 | Next ›