on 2 May 2011
REVIEW by Geraldine Evans

DAUGHTER OF TIME a stand-alone novel in the world of the After Cilmeri Series. - A TIME TRAVEL NOVEL

I'll start by saying I've never read a time travel novel, so was half waiting for Dr Who to appear! Needless to say, he didn't, but a young widow named Meg and her daughter, Anna, did. Freed by the death of her husband from a violent marriage, Meg and her daughter have gone out for the mundane buying of ice-cream when their car skids on some ice. When she wakes up, Meg finds she has flown through some kind of time curtain and is in thirteenth Century Wales, having been rescued from her swamp-sinking vehicle by Llywelyn ap Gruffydd, the Prince of Wales himself. It doesn't take long for the pair to fall in love.

Thanks to her previous study of Welsh history Meg is able to save him from a premature death. They go through a peasant's form of plight-troth and become man and wife. But love can't conquer all, not in this world. Many dangers beset them from Llywelyn's jealous brother, Dafydd to warring Marcher lords, and which, through them, threaten Wales's very independence from an increasingly voracious England.

I very much enjoyed this book. I found Sarah Woodbury wove a telling tapestry of thirteenth Century Welsh royal life. She had me caught up in the tale and in believing it is possible to pass through centuries to an earlier time. She has persuaded me to try more in this genre. Heartily recommended.
on 1 June 2013
Coming late to this series, i.e. downloading the prequel (which apparently has been written after the event of the series), I have to admit to being very pleasantly surprised.

If this is the standard of writing, I will most definitely be download the whole of the series in the next couple of days .... I've already added them to my Want to Read shelf at Good Reads.

Excellent, characterisation, pace of plot, and it left me very much wanting more, more and more.

Rating:

I found it difficult to put down, and worried at the end that Llewelyn and Meg had lost each other, he would never see his child and that he would end up being killed at a specific date .... even worse, my birthday. The very fact that I fully bought into their lives, wants wishes and futures even, meant it was truly excellent writing. A big fat 5 stars from me. Get it (especially as it is on free download at the moment), read it ..... and hopefully you will love it too.

Errors/Bug Bears:

If there was anything I certainly didn't notice. Now, that's the sign of an excellently delivered product by the author - kudos to her. It also follows on quite nicely with my next review, which I should get around to writing tomorrow!
on 17 June 2014
I got this as a free Kindle download under the genre of historical fiction. I have never been particularly interested in time travel or romance, but this story is extremely gripping and difficult to put down. Apart from one or two niggly mistakes in the text (I used to be a proof reader many years ago!), it is well written and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
on 10 September 2012
Warning.....reading this book will result in you downloading the rest of the series. This is a well written book with an compelling insight into 13 Centry Wales. I bought the rest of the series as a result of downloading this book. Even if you are not a fan of time travel themed books, this one will win you over. There is no confusing jumping back and forth with every chapter as in other stories that I have read which deal with this subject. It really is a fantastic scene setter for the After Cilmeri series and well worth the read.
on 7 May 2013
Really enjoyed this one too there are some lovely characters in this series and am loving medieval Wales the most.
on 12 December 2012
One of the best books I have read in a long time.

A really good book that kept you totally enthralled. It was so well written that you were in the book with the characters.

When not reading it my mind kept thinking about what will happen next.

Would recommend fully.
on 26 March 2013
i loved it and em now reading the 2nd book and hopefully all of them. it is different and exciting and i love the history of it
on 17 February 2013
I really liked this book. I read this book first without reading the others and its made want to buy the rest in the series
on 16 March 2012
I am an avid reader and I have read thousands of books, but very few have grabbed my attention and have held it to the degree "Daughter of Time" did. What an amazing book! It was extremely well written and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I've ordered the other two books in the series and I'm looking forward to another enjoyable evening curled up in my favorite chair with my new favorite author. Well done, Sarah Woodbury!
on 19 February 2012
This was a good quick(ish) read which I enjoyed - not quite romance I would argue, but still enjoyable nontheless. I generally like changing perspectives and there were titles for each chapter which pointed to which perspective you were currently 'occupying' which made the shift a little clearer. The prose could have perhaps used a little more polish though (it would have helped to draw me into the story more).