5.0 out of 5 stars A Dummies Book even for the Smarts.
Published on 26 Aug 2007 by Sam786

3.0 out of 5 stars A good foundation for poetry
Published 16 months ago by P. Pitchford

5.0 out of 5 stars A Dummies Book even for the Smarts., 26 Aug 2007
This review is from: Poetry For Dummies (Paperback)
I bought this book for my poetry exam that I had to retake due to a bad grade. It helped me a LOT!!! The title '... for Dummies' will put off a lot of people from buying it because they think it'll mean they're dumb and so have to resort to purchasing a book for 'actual' dummies but that is far from the truth. Poetry For Dummies simplifies poetry in so many great ways and avoids all the technical jargon most books, revision texts and even teachers use.

I recommend this to anyone and everyone. Its for all ages. It's too bad schools don't use these books in their English or poetry classes. This book also is a manual to writing poetry.

Please do buy this and see for yourself. I'm not so sure about the rest of the '...For Dummies' books but coming from me, an A Level English Literature Student who needs all the help she can get, its amazingly helpful.

Oh and I also improved my grade with this :D

5.0 out of 5 stars Splendid, easy to understand, clear and inspirational, 5 Aug 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Poetry For Dummies (Paperback)
Don't be put off by rather unappealing cover design, this is a very good book. It has increased my enjoyment of poetry enormously.
Clear, entertaining and thorough explanations, provides lots of recommendations on other texts - both poems and criticism - that otherwise I'd never know about, excellent brief history of poetry from year dot and encouragement/advise for potential poets.
All-in-all a complete delight.

5.0 out of 5 stars NOT AT ALL FOR DUMMIES, 21 May 2011
This review is from: Poetry For Dummies (Paperback)
I RECENTLY BEGAN READING POETRY AND FIND THIS BOOK A BIG HELP. I WAS NEVER INTO POERTY WHEN I WAS IN SCHOOL BUT PICKED UP A COLLECTION CALLED POEMS BY HEART BY LAURA BARBER. MOST OF THE POEMS I HAD NOT GOT A CLUE WHAT THEY WERE ABOUT AND THIS BOOK HELPED ME

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Helpful, 30 Dec 2011
This review is from: Poetry For Dummies (Paperback)
I bought this for my husband and he has found it very helpful and has commented how easy it is to read and says what it means in laymans terms and not highbrow which is just what people need when setting off to anything new that they are not sure of.

4.0 out of 5 stars A well constructed, helpful guide, 30 Mar 2009
John Everard (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Poetry For Dummies (Paperback)
This book is good. It is well set out and takes the reader systematically through the major points on poetry. It combines a general introduction to the subject with some quite thoughtful analysis of individual poems, and manages all this in a simple but not patronising style. A good general introduction.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good foundation for poetry, 2 Jun 2013
P. Pitchford "Phil Pitchford" (North Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Poetry For Dummies (Paperback)
I have been writing poetry on and off for 40 years and have had numerous pieces of work published in anthologies over the years. this said I have never explored poetry in an academic fashion. Phil book gives a good foundation for helping a novice understand poetry, its history and its style, with and excellent guide on how to begin writing poetry. The appendices are an excellent point of reference and lead you into further research. The key downside to the book is that is it is American and the guides on how to get published are U.s. based.

4.0 out of 5 stars OK guide to poetry, 11 May 2012
This review is from: Poetry For Dummies (Paperback)
This book will tell you everything you need to know about poetry, but I can't help feeling that there could have been more emphasis on creating poetry, and a bit more creativity put into it; the analysis side of it you can't fault. I would recommend this for students at uni, college, or school, or someone studying poetry as literature study, but I will be looking elsewhere for a more creative approach to writing poetry; Stephen Fry's offering "the ode less travelled; unlocking the poet within." But saying this, this is a good starting point with most questions answered.

4.0 out of 5 stars Poetry for dummies, 27 July 2009
Mrs. J. C. Peters (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Poetry For Dummies (Paperback)
Really helpful, so much information in one little book. Inspires me to read further and explore other verse.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, 20 Mar 2014
This review is from: Poetry For Dummies (Paperback)
Good book, looked well used and read. Content is wat it was purchased for and that was the most important thing.

4.0 out of 5 stars I have found this book to be good for building my appreciation for poetry, 21 Sep 2014
This review is from: Poetry For Dummies (Kindle Edition)
I have found this book to be good for building my appreciation for poetry. The way it tackles the technical side of writing is also good. I found it a food read and an enjoyable one.

Poetry For Dummies