5.0 out of 5 stars An informative, accessible and enjoyable book., 17 May 2009
SR LONG - See all my reviews
This review is from: Judaism For Dummies (Paperback)
This is an enjoyable and illuminating intoduction to judaism.
It explores the core beliefs, offers a history of the jewish people and explains what goes on on holy days and celebrations. The odd recipe is included, as is a glossary of yiddish words, a section on jewish humour and a collection of frequently asked questions (amongst other things). Besides its broad scope what impressed me was that the authors take care to explain not only how but also why, and they do so with a great deal of wisdom, understanding and humour.
It is also a very accessible book. It is easy to dip in and out of, everything is explained in a clear and waffle-free manner and divided into bite size sections. Explanations are clear and concise without sacrificing completeness or depth of understanding and i feel as though I have really learnt a lot from reading this book.
Trying to provide a decent overview of judaism in 400 words is a pretty tall order but I believe that this book makes a very respectable attempt.

5.0 out of 5 stars Judaism for Dummies, 4 Sep 2009
P. Norden (Wokingham UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Judaism For Dummies (Paperback)
This book has been a breath of fresh air to me personally.
Informative helpful and reassuring to someone whose has found their belonging after denial.
This book will help others of different persuasions to learn of Judaism and hopefully enlighten.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on 'the tin', 9 Nov 2010
This review is from: Judaism For Dummies (Paperback)
My boyfriend wanted to understand more about the jewish religion as I am jewish and because he had never had much contact with jewish people before we met. I reviewed a number of books on the subject, but always ended up feeling that they appeared daunting to a 'beginner'... until I came across this book. I have to say that we both love it and will happily sit down together and read through an upcoming festival or event, so that we both feel comfortable about its meaning and what to expect. Through doing so, I remind myself about the history of various festivals and my boyfriend can simply understand the meaning, traditions associated with it, ways of conducting yourself, etc, as well as learning new expressions. It's a funny yet serious book, light yet profound, but most of all is welcoming rather than threatening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Understanding, 15 May 2009
Diana Bradford (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Judaism For Dummies (Paperback)
Its great to understand and easy reading. Really like the chapters.i.e the way they are set out. you can jump around reading what one needs for that moment. A great book for Dummies!

5.0 out of 5 stars Judaism for Dummies, 14 Jan 2011
This review is from: Judaism For Dummies (Paperback)
I bought this for my R.S. studies but for anyone interested in Judaism, this book is brilliant.
It is written in an easy and clear way with humour. I like the layout too, the print is easy on the eye and there is a straight forward key for the information placed around the page. I am thoroughly enjoying it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful, 15 Dec 2011
This review is from: Judaism For Dummies (Paperback)
Set out really well. Enjoyable to read, and it is a very interesting topic. I think i'll be getting more of these books.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very well structured book, 31 Dec 2012
Joao Correia (Lisbon, Portugal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Judaism For Dummies (Paperback)
When I ordered this book I was a little bit afraid buying a dummies guide might not be the best choose to learn about a rich religious tradition, however being myself a big fan of the dummies guide series I decided to go ahead and buy it.

I don't regret it, it is very well structured, written in a nice way that helps one keep its attention on the text. It covers most of the relevant subjects, giving proper frame to them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 31 Oct 2007
Birmingham Book Reader (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Judaism For Dummies (Paperback)
For anyone looking to learn more about the Jewish faith, this super book is the only one you need.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 12 May 2013
This review is from: Judaism For Dummies (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book knowing absolutely nothing about Judaism. I found it very informative and cannot pick fault wth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I wanted, 11 April 2013
This review is from: Judaism For Dummies (Paperback)
Received in perfect condition. Whole 'Dummies' range is a great base for anyone looking to get to grips with something new!

Judaism For Dummies