on 3 May 2006
Eve Best succeeds in captivating the listener with this story that evokes a fascinating glimpse into Lilla's life, set amidst bygone culture and world events. It also provokes reflection on the morality of and the spin given to past and current political action.
on 29 March 2015
I found this book fascinating the highs and lows of life living in the empire days . Pick yourself up and start all over again was a real insight I never thought it was like this , was prejudiced just thought they were rich privileged folk .
on 30 September 2009
What a fascinating read all the way through. How interesting the lives that were led in those times. Could not put this down, Recommended to friends who loved it as much as I did.
on 3 March 2013
The book was delivered before estimated delivery date. In good condition as described. It is such an interesting book very well written by Frances Osborne. I enjoyed reading it so much I will definately read other books by this author.
on 20 July 2014
I enjoyed this book. She has a good ability to turn the facts into a readable story, similar to a novel but not the same. I always enjoy a book that is based on events in history as you feel you've learnt something new along the way.
on 6 January 2013
Engrossing and moving story about the author's great grandmother's birth and upbringing in China in the late 19th/20th centuries, her marriage and subsequent life spanning China, India and England.
on 26 July 2014
highly recommend this book; its an imperial history lesson that reads like a novel. I was involved and engrossed from start to finish. My mother-in-law is already re-reading it
on 21 May 2015
I enjoyed this audiobook very much. It was very touching and a testament to the human spirit. Eve Best has a beautiful voice and very easy to understand the reading.
on 24 December 2015
History brought to life. I had nothing to read so started this book to pass a few minutes. I was hooked until and including the last page.
on 17 August 2013
A mixture of fact and imagination, Osbourne re creates the life of her great grandmother with consummate skill. A fascinating read