4.0 out of 5 stars ooooo I love cake!!
Published on 5 May 2011 by realovesbooks

3.0 out of 5 stars sweet
A sweet easy book to read.nice simple story line predictable but good.sounds like the perfect life, something perhaps we would all like to do or try. Perfect holiday book.
Published 8 months ago by Hayley

4.0 out of 5 stars ooooo I love cake!!, 5 May 2011
realovesbooks (South east London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Two books which I really enjoyed last year were Trust Me I'm A Vet and also It Must Be Love both by Cathy Woodman. Both of the books were following Maz and Alex who were vets in the village of Talyton St. George. I have been keeping a close eye on Cathy Woodman's website waiting for the date for her new book to be released and at long last it has arrived. The Sweetest Thing is the title of her new book and for those of you who were fans of her previous books you will not miss this book as the front cover is much the same as the other two books.

Plot
This time our main character has changed, meet Jennie who is a newly divorced mum of three and has decided that now is time to live her dream and decides to up and move to the country. Jennie moves to the town of Talyton St. George. Jennie is looking forward to the tranquil life in the country and thinks it will be a great new start for her children although it is soon clear that life is not going to be so easy and tranquil as typical village gossip soon starts and Jennie's son Adam soon starts showing his distaste of country life. Jennie decides that she is going to need o bring in some money to be able to pay for the things the children want to help to settle them in so she decides to start her own cake business. Will the cake business work out and will she be able to help the children settle in the country or will they decide to go and live back in the city with their father?

Characters
I loved each and every one of the characters in this book. Jennie's relationship between her children and between the new love interest Guy in the book is brought across to the reader beautifully. From the first chapter we warm to Jennie's character and only hope for the best for her in her new start in life. The character of Adam who is Jennie's eldest son was very hormonal and emotional to read about. At times I felt annoyed with some of his actions and on over times I felt really sorry for the poor lad who is having a hard time adjusting to his new life after his parents split up and he is moved away from all he knows. The two daughters were a joy to read and we felt their excitement being brought to us through the pages of the book.

My Opinion
I have to say I actually enjoyed this book more than the previous two. I do have two problems with this book which I shall bring up now firstly I was so hungry reading this book after reading about a different kind of tasty cake in each chapter ( I can only say it seems as though Cathy Woodman has really done her homework on cakes!) and also that I am so in love with the village of Talyton St. George that I want to up and move to this place in the pages of my book!

Now that I have got my minor negatives out of the way I can tell you that this was a very enjoyable read, so much so I read this on my day off on Sunday it was a true page turner! The story felt quite real to me, which I feel is the reason why I struggled to put it down. The book is written from Jennie's perspective so we really get an insight in the way she feels and the way she is coping with her new life.

We do see the characters of Maz and Alex pop up briefly in this book which gives us a bit of familiarity but does not take over the story. We do have a new romance in this book between Jennie and her neighbor Guy which was lovely to read as unlike most books I seem to have read recently the romance between them is hard work due to the children and both Jennie and Guy's work I found myself all the way through the book wondering if they would eventually get together.

I would recommend this book (actually I already have my copy has gone to one of my clients already!) It would be an ideal holiday read or like me your lazy Sunday read. I can only hope that we do not have to wait too long for the next book and that it keeps on par with this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just Sweet Enough, 1 July 2011
A. L. Rutter "Floor to Ceiling Books" (Portsmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
This is the third novel by Cathy Woodman in the Talyton St George series (preceded by Trust Me, I'm a Vet and Must Be Love). This book can be picked up without having read either of the previous two, since the events of The Sweetest Thing follow new character Jennie as she moves from the city to the country after a divorce to start up a new cake-baking business.

Cathy Woodman is really getting up to speed now! I was a little uncertain about her first novel, but enjoyed her second thoroughly. This third one is by far the best. Jennie is a wonderful character - she's warm and friendly, but has foibles and is definitely incredibly stubborn. She is a very realistic character, and makes it very easy to take her part over the course of the events in The Sweetest Thing.

Jennie is surrounded by equally memorable characters. Woodman has a real gift for natural dialogue, especially between Jennie and her three children. Sophie and Georgia are very sweet, the latter reminding me very much of myself when I was a child and was desperate to own a pony! Adam is a bit more prickly - Jennie's teenage son is hard to take to, deliberately so, and, although I didn't like him much, I could appreciate the stance he was taking and felt myself sympathising.

The prose is incredibly easy to read. It flows and is very compelling, encouraging the reader to keep turning the page. Woodman has a very humorous turn of phrase at times, as well, which makes The Sweetest Thing a joy to read.

What I like most is that Woodman doesn't hesitate in bringing harder subjects into what could be a very fluffy novel - Jennie is a victim of village gossip, she struggles with her teenage son, she suffers as a result of her former husband demanding sole custody of her beloved children. These are not easy subjects, but Woodman deals with them compassionately.

Altogether, this was a very accomplished and entertaining novel, and I shall be eagerly awaiting the next instalment in the Talyton St George series. Be warned - if you read these novels, you will want to move to the country, own horses and dogs, and eat cakes!

5.0 out of 5 stars the sweetest thing, 16 Jun 2011
a very good read, i could not leave the book down kept me interested all the way through.cant wait for her next book have read her previous two books great

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Read, 15 Jun 2011
I liked this book, It is the first time I have read a book from this author but it was enjoyable I could really connect with the family. This is a light hearted hoilday read

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab, Fab, read!, 24 May 2011
This is the first time I have written a review but I loved this book so much that I just had to 'shout' about it! I have read the other 'Talyton' books but you could read this without having read the others (but they are very good and would recommend them too!). It had me gripped right from the start and kept my interest until the very last sentence. It helped that I could empathise with Jennie's circumstances and some of the things thrown at her. Will now be on the edge of my seat waiting for the follow-up....please Cathy!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars books in order, 18 July 2014
This review is from: The Sweetest Thing: (Talyton St George) (Kindle Edition)
It would have been better to have known which order to start reading the books in. I did enjoy knowing the characters , but I knew these two had got married and had a child so story spoiled a bit as I knew what the end would be. Also, all the men seem very muscular and pinch woman's bottoms.
I have yet to find all these muscula, terrific fellas going around, in my upturn yeas myself and can't say many men like that. I married a great chap,good looking but certainly not the build all these gaps are in these stories. Bit too much of the same, if a chap pinched my bum, would have slapped him.

Did enjoy books though and got involved, made me read something I don't offend do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Yet, 12 July 2014
Adorable! My favourite Talyton book ever. Just pure therapy. The exact right balance of new stories and revisits, wonderful characters, absolutely love this book. Read it and re-read it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 July 2014
Enjoyed reading

5.0 out of 5 stars good, 5 July 2014
This review is from: The Sweetest Thing: (Talyton St George) (Kindle Edition)
Really enjoyed this book. Enjoy all the Talyton St George books. Nice easy books to read and relax with. Lovely

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 26 May 2014
Cathy Woodman , I have to say is my favourite author. I love her stories ,although a few are in Talyton St George
I feel as if I know the people. I also love the stories including the vets and farms. I feel very happy when
reading her books. Makes me feel very relaxed and calm.

The Sweetest Thing: (Talyton St George)