5.0 out of 5 stars The Cazalet Chronicle is an absolute must-read.
Published 16 months ago by Liz Lord

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book - terrible kindle format
This is a great book, and I would wholehearted recommend it. However it has been very badly 'translated' for Kindle. There are words missing, incorrect words, paragraphs running into one another. This happens on the odd occasion with other Kindle books, but the level of mistakes in this ebook is shocking. Bad Amazon
Published 17 months ago by Danni Certain

5.0 out of 5 stars The Cazalet Chronicle is an absolute must-read., 11 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Light Years (The Cazalet Chronicle 1) (Kindle Edition)
I can't believe I hadn't read this delightful collection of four books telling the story of the Cazalets. I am nearing the end of the fourth one - " Casting Off" - and am wondering what to do with my reading time when I finish it. I can not recommend it highly enough. It is a fascinating history of a middle class family during the years of the second world war and the austerity afterwards and the characters really bring that period to life, especially to one who was born during that time..

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating read, 5 Nov 2002
Monique (Brisbane, Australia) - See all my reviews
Not having been born until 1973, and growing up in another country, I can't say whether Elizabeth Jane Howard's fictitious account of the life and lives of an English family during WWII and beyond is historically accurate or not, but with this much detail, she must be writing either from her own experience or from extensive research. It certainly felt very real to me.
Told from the points of view of different members of this large, extended upper-class family and its household, The Light Years gives an account of English life in the lead up to the second world war. The author gives fine details of the running of the household inside the family's country manor, the social conditions of that time and the political situation as seen through the eyes of young, middle-aged and elderly, male and female, upper, middle and lower classes, providing a fantastic tapestry of life at that time.
All of this detail could have the potential to be dry and boring, but the characters are so beautifully and realistically drawn that the reader can't help but be drawn right inside the novel and feel a part of the family. These characters begin to affect the reader in a way that is rarely seen, and after finishing "The Light Years", I couldn't wait to begin the second instalment, "Marking Time".

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book - terrible kindle format, 1 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Light Years (The Cazalet Chronicle 1) (Kindle Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Read these books - you will NOT be disappointed!, 30 Mar 2010
if you do nothing else this year, buy the four books in the Cazalet Chronicles, they are absolutely fantastic - I deliberately tried to read the fourth and last one slowly because I didnt want it to end, but Jane Howard is such a good writer that I couldnt help myself. I have kept them and will read them again in a year or so, they are set to become "old friends" - definitely not a set that will be passed onto the PDSA shop (sorry PDSA)....

5.0 out of 5 stars First of four books in the Cazalet Chronicle, 7 Oct 2001
I read this book following seeing some of the TV production recently. I found that it 'grabbed' me as soon as I started reading it and proved to be a thoroughly enjoyable read, so much so that I proceeded straight on to the next of the series, "Marking Time".
The book gives an excellent picture of life immediately pre-WWII and is an effective social statement of the state of the 'classes' at that time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmm?!!, 15 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Light Years (The Cazalet Chronicle 1) (Kindle Edition)
The book was recommended by a colleague, who has similar reading tastes and when I read the book description I thought that it was just my thing. However although the book was easy enough to read I kept wondering when the real story would start!. It felt like one very long introduction to all the characters and as for the ending, well what ending the book just stopped!! Had it had been a paper copy I would have suspected that somebody had ripped the pages out! I know there are 2 more books in the Cazalet series but I can't make my mind up if they'll be any better.A bit disappointing

3.0 out of 5 stars The Light Years, 3 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Light Years (The Cazalet Chronicle 1) (Kindle Edition)
This was a bit dissapointing for me. The story is very light though all the little details about the many children may prove useful for those who go on to read other books of the chronical. Some characters developed well as the story progressed. Zoe was one such character who gradually gained credibility. Of the children Louise held my interest. It would be worth writing out the list of characters for reference before starting to read the book.in order to know who each of the children belonged to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy the ebook lots of annoying mistakes, 18 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Light Years (The Cazalet Chronicle 1) (Kindle Edition)
I love this book, it's beautifully written, interesting and a real insight into the lives of the family it describes. There's lots of detail and it's set against the start of the 2nd WW so has a certain tension concerning how their lives and the world will change. Can't wait to read the next instalment.

One major issue is that the ebook has masses of mistakes, from spellings to missing text, so much so that it almost spoils the enjoyment, I would advise sticking to the real thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally absorbing, 29 Jun 2008
Victoriana_Mad "AJS" (Coulsdon, Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
This is the first book by Elizabeth Jane Howard that I have read and I loved every moment of it. The pace never slackens and I found myself wasting no opportunity to settle down and read some more. Although there are so many characters they are all so well drawn that they do not become confused. They are all likeable people, despite their flaws and foibles. What struck me most was that I actually cared about what happened to each and every one of them. The period details are not laboured but the atmosphere is unmistakeable. Can't wait for the sequel to be delivered to see what happens to the fascinating Cazalets next.

5.0 out of 5 stars My mum has disowned me., 3 April 2014
I brought this for a mothers day gift this year, I know, how wonderful am I? :] And now she hardly notices I'm in the house, if only I brought this when I was a teenager I might have got away with a lot more!
However back to this fantastic book according to my mum who is relaying the book to me word by word and now I'm going to steal it from her.

The Light Years (The Cazalet Chronicle 1)
3.66