4.0 out of 5 stars very good for the price
I use this voice recorder for recording my classes at university. If you are looking for a voice recorder for the same purpose and are on a tight budget this voice recorder is ideal. If you are in a large room I would advise you place the voice recorder at the front of the class if your teacher is not wearing a microphone to get the best sound quality...
Published on 16 Oct 2011 by Sean

3.0 out of 5 stars Sony ICD-PX312 - Digital voice recorder - flash 2
If you are looking for a decent value for money voice recorder, then you can't go far wrong with the Sony ICD-PX312 - Digital voice recorder - flash 2.
Published on 31 May 2012 by Davey M

4.0 out of 5 stars very good for the price, 16 Oct 2011
This review is from: Sony ICD-PX312 - Digital voice recorder - flash 2 GB - MP3 - black (Office Product)

Pros:
Great battery life, i have been using this recorder everyday and have recorded over 15 hours of lectures and the battery level still reads full.

Very cheap for those on a tight budget

USB connectivity for storing your recorded files on your computer or laptop. (I would suggest renaming the folders on the recording device before recording classes as it is quite annoying having to organise them later. If you rename the folders to the names of your module/ class title it is much easier to operate and find the files when you are playing them back. You do this using the sony sound organizer software supplied with it and by pluggin the device into your laptop. Five folders are on the device and you can rename them to what ever you want. This means when you go to record a class you can pick which folder you want the file to be saved into)

Comes with built in noise cut which basically removes unwanted background noise for clearer playback. This can be turned on and off with a switch on the side of the device. Also comes with several recording modes, for example lecture, meeting, voice notes etc which sets the device up for different environments.

Very easy to operate.

Cons:
Built-in speaker could be better, however it does have an earphone slot.

Sony organizer software which comes with the product could have been better designed. For example I can't seem to organize the files into folders when they are put onto my laptop. That is why i suggested to rename your folders on the device to your module names so that they are already in the folders you want before you upload them on your computer. This is a minor crticism and should not put you off buying this.

Sound quility could be better but you can't really ask for much more at this price. Don't get me wrong it does the job quite well and I am pleased with it.

Overall I give this dictaphone 4 starts out of 5 as it does the job very well and at this price you can't really ask for much more.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Ultimate University Must-Have, 4 Oct 2011
I was looking around for a dictaphone for using at university as I discovered I often missed pieces of information when writing notes and also being half asleep after an hour and a half commute for a 9am lecture.

This product is an absolute god send! It has an easy to use interface and the instuctions give you all the information you need. My main reason for choosing this dictaphone over the other types is the fact I could put the recordings on my laptop for future reference for revision.

The recordings are really clear. I had a friend sat next to me coughing during my recording and I could still hear the lecturer speaking clear when she was stood at approx 7 feet away without a microphone. As the recordings are in mp3 format, it also means I can put the recordings on my ipod to listen to in my own time and as a more portable mode of transporting instead of taking my laptop with me.

The product also allows you to select what type of thing your recording i.e. lecture, interview etc. The device also has a 2gb micro sd card which can easily be upgraded to hold more recordings if required, however 2gb gets you a lot of time and as I put my recordings on my pc I don't need anymore.

Any student who like me is not quick at note-taking, misses stuff whilst writing or is usually half asleep or even none of the above.... This product is amazing and well worth the money!

3.0 out of 5 stars Sony ICD-PX312 - Digital voice recorder - flash 2, 31 May 2012
As the product description states it is an "entry level" device, but it is fair to say that it is loaded with quite a few useful functions, ie 2GB of built in memory as well as a Memory Card slot, incorporated MP3 and many more features. (See the description for yourself).
I particularly like the file system. Just connect to a PC / laptop etc and open up the files. From there it's quite simple to re-arrange and re-name files exactly as you would normally on your PC.
The microphone is exceptionally responsive and easily picks up voices from across a room. I found that the clarity of the playback is quite good using plug in earphones or when played back on a PC/ Music player system, but on the downside the built in speaker quality is quite tinny and poor.
I personally found that the dimensions of the recorder are clumsy. It should have been made shorter and wider, more like a mobile phone. This would also have made it possible to have a larger display screen, as it certainly is not "a large LCD display" as described in the product info.
However, all in all we get what we pay for so at this price(£36.56 at the time of writing this review), it represents fair value for money..................... But my advice is if you want high quality playback from a voice recorder (from it's own speaker), you really need to up your game and look at paying a lot more money for a higher quality device.
** At this price you will never get the same quality playback that was achieved with the old cassette type recorders **

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything I needed and more!, 15 Aug 2011
I've always wanted a voice recorder, but it's only recently that I've found a real need for one. I trust the Sony brand and, despite the fact that there aren't many reviews on here, there are many favourable reviews on Amazon.com for this product. So, given that the price was reasonable, I decided to take the plunge and go for this one...

I'm so pleased I did! This gadget is just terrific! I could have bought a voice recorder for around half this price, but I really wanted one which gave you the option of transferring files to your computer. The SHQ recording is only 22 hours, so I needed the option of transferring files - otherwise I fear this gadget would have become full very quickly!

There are many great features that come with this model - the best of all is the "pause" option, which allows you to pause in the middle of recording and then continue with no obvious "break" in the recording. I'm someone that tends to "erm" and "uh" a lot as I think, so this is a brilliant feature - especially if you do long recordings.

Moreover, the sound quality is superb. However, I strongly advise that you invest in a pair of earphones (normal ones are fine) as you can only appreciate the quality of the sound if you listen via earphones. Without them, I can see how people might find the recordings to be sub-par. If you use earphones, the quality is brilliant - it'll even pick up subtle changes in voice intonation.

The voice recorders' uses are obvious. If you're looking at voice recorders in the first place, then I'll assume that you have a need for one! I keep finding more and more uses for it - here are just a few:

- Record notes from classes and studies on the recorder. Play it back before bed or during long car journeys for painless learning!
- If you're in the middle of a book and come across a word you need to look up there's no need to get up and look it up in the dictionary. Just record the word and its context and look it up at a convenient time later.
- When you put things away record where you're putting them. There's no need to ever "lose" anything again (unless you lose the recorder, of course.)
- Record things people tell you or things you need to do
- Useful for meetings and lectures
- If you are having a moment of inspiration or a great stream of thoughts whilst you work on an essay, book, letter, business idea etc. there's no need to lose the ideas. I keep mine by my bedside just in case.

It really is like having a second memory - a very useful one at that!

Are there any down sides? A few, but not enough for me to lower my rating. The labelling on the voice recorder may be a bit confusing at first. The button labelled "play/stop" is really only used to play your recording. The stop button is a square lower down on the device.

There's also some software which comes with the recorder. It allows you to edit your files on your computer etc. I'm not sure it's something I'd have any need for, personally, but if you are a techno-whiz, you might have fun playing around with it.

It would also have been nice if the recorder had come with a holder. I'd like to take mine out with me - so I'm going to have to buy one.

All of these are only minor things though and do not detract from what is a great little device, which I'm sure I'll use for years to come. It arrived promptly. Great slim design. Excellent service from Amazon as always. Thoroughly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Voice Recorder, 6 Mar 2012
This was ordered for my wife to be able to review her choir singing. It arrived quickly, and after a few attempts to master the instructions, she is now recording her choir's attempts at singing. She is very pleased with the machine, although it is causing me some concerns having to listen almost none stop to a group of ladies murdering some very good songs. On the whole, an excellent purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for studies, 11 Nov 2011
I shopped around for ages, checking reviews on allsorts of voice recorders, but this one along with its reviews was the one. This was bought as a Birthday gift to help me with my lectures, you have to read the instructions carefully but once you work it out, it will do the things that model allows. Easy to transfer on to the computer it is windows 7 compatible, would suggest you rename the files individually on the computer so not to cause confusion. It takes a memory card and the batteries last, the ones in now have lasted a longtime, and some of the lectures are over 2hrs ,not changed the batteries yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb little gadget, 28 July 2011
fernman (Greater London, UK) - See all my reviews
Because a combination of stiffness of the hand and a slight tremor has made it become hard for me to write neatly, I bought this recorder to replace writing notes when I am out doing natural history recording. I have already tried this, and it is just a case of listening to it afterwards and typing the details into my database. I don't find the volume very loud, even on maximum; I need to be in a quiet place to hear it well. You can listen to it on your computer speakers but that's not so easy when you're doing other things on the computer at the same time. Perhaps I'll buy some headphones.

The recorder is like a long, slim and very small mobile phone, but is surprisingly light in weight. It comes with 2 AAA batteries, a usb connnecting cable, "Sound Organiser" software on a cd and several sheets of Quick Start Guides in a number of languages. Stored in the built-in memory are full instructions, which I have downloaded onto my computers for easier reference. There is no protective case, so I have bought a soft glasses case for a couple of pounds.

The controls don't take much getting used to, though at first I was wrongly pressing the 'Enter' button to stop recording, because it has 'Play/Stop' written above it, when the correct 'Stop' button is denoted by a little white square.

It is much too easy to forget the 'Hold' switch is engaged when you try and record; it says 'HOLD' at the top of the screen but this is easily overlooked - you press the Record button, you think you're recording but you are not, and you don't realise your mistake till later, when to your dismay you find something is missing.

The 'Pause' button is good, you press this while you are thinking how to say something (or in my case while I am waiting for my GPS to come up with a grid reference!) and there is no gap on playback.

Forget about the software. I installed it just out of curiosity to see what was on it: you can import files from the recorder or a CD (surely there can be no computers that won't already do this?), you can burn a CD or DVD (there's a lot of other software that'll do this), you can divide or combine tracks, and add a track mark. That's it, and it takes up a whopping 92.4MB on your machine. It didn't uninstall cleanly, either, left a lot of files and registry entries behind.

I could have bought the basic Sony model for half the price, but I selected this one because of its computer connectivity, and I am currently experimenting with an old copy of Dragon NaturallySpeaking Professional which will hopefully convert my recorded files into text on my computer.

I'm rather surprised that my review is the only one on amazon.co.uk to date, but you will find a few on amazon.com

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony ICD-PX312, 22 Nov 2011
Well pleased with this product. Easy to use, crisp clear sound and very easy to erase.
As a Pastor I use it to record messages and transfare to Pc.
I well recommend this recorder

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Sound Quality and Very Compact, 23 Sep 2011
The Sony ICD-PX312 is very compact so you can keep it with you all the time and record interviews and ambient sounds. It is very easy to use. The sound quality is excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars very easy to use, 5 Mar 2012
I bought this because I am coming into contact with social workers , landlords etc at the present time, due to some voluntary work I am involved with. I find this an excellent device for capturing those little statements during conversations that can so easily be misconstrued afterwards when it suits people. It fits neatly into the top pocket of my jacket and is very good indeed at picking up conversations. The inbuilt microphone is on top of the unit, making it ideal for this application. It is also smaller and lighter than I expected, but with a good quality feel to it.

When I unpacked this I found out that there were 15 different sets of printed instructions, unfortunately none of them were in English but oh well. It's a simple matter to download the instructions from the Sony website. There is also an installation disc supplied with the packaging, unfortunately this disc will only work with Microsoft operating systems. Once again this is no problem as the recorder is instantly recognised as a USB "device" by a Macintosh and you can explore it using "finder" just as though it were a thumb drive. You can "drag and drop" your recordings to wherever you want. The recorder also contains pdf files of all its instructions, including the English version.

It uses 2 x AAA batteries, and ( unusually) the batteries are both inserted the same way ( i.e., both positives are at the bottom), the first time I have ever seen this in any device. You need to take care to get the batteries inserted correctly, I reckon.

I actually found out that I could work out how to use this WITHOUT looking at the instructions though. It's very straightforward and intuitive to use. This is probably just as well because when I downloaded the full instructions, my heart sank when I discovered that they ran to 150 pages (?) . This is because this recorder has a huge number of features involving editing, file management, etc that perhaps someone might use, but I personally will never use. It is actually mind- boggling, and you could be forgiven for thinking you had downloaded the instructions for the Starship Enterprise by mistake. The instructions are far too complicated, they really "make a meal of it". Thankfully there is also a set of "quickstart " instructions which is probably all you'd ever need.

Finally I also recorded some acoustic guitar using this recorder and the results were crystal clear. All in all I'd say this item represents excellent value for money. And it's Sony so you can't go wrong.