5.0 out of 5 stars Wahoo fitness
Excellent item.. Does exactly what it is supposed to do.. Easy to use and although tricky to fit worth the time and effort.
Highly recommended
Published on 29 Jan. 2013 by Graham

3.0 out of 5 stars A couple of flaws need some attention
Published on 16 Aug. 2012 by TC

3.0 out of 5 stars A couple of flaws need some attention, 16 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Wahoo Fitness Bike Case for iPhone with Speed and Cadence - Black (Sports)
The bracket that holds the Bike Case rattles is very poor ir allows the case to rattle all over the place on anything but smooth roads. Go over a reasonable bump and it sounds like the unit will rip itself free. If you have that backup battery be prepared for the unit to thrash around in quite alarming way. Definitely not to be used on a mountain bike!. The bracket needs to be redesigned. The window material used on the case scratches very easily and if you have a screen protector on your phone already the phone's touch capabilities are almost gone. very annoying.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor mounting bracket; bulky and heavy, 6 Jun. 2012
R. Toma (Ireland) - See all my reviews
As a road bike racing enthusiast, about a month ago I have purchased a "Wahoo Fitness Bike Case for iPhone with Speed and Cadence". I was looking forward to it as I found the reviews quite promising and I thought it would be quite useful to have speed, cadence and GPS position all in one, without the need of extra gadgets or connection to a PC.

I have received it and installed it immediately. First of all I had to realize that there wasn't a user manual with the sensor, just a quick start guide. So I went on YouTube and found some videos of people installing it. I found it also really hard to make it connect to your utility applications, but even so, managed to do so (I'll come to this later).

An important thing I have noticed while installing it, was the mounting bracket, which I thought was a bit flimsy. The case on the other hand is quite neat and one can see that a lot of thought has been put into it (a very big plus and kudos on the case and the ease of installing the phone into the case). Also I was disappointed to realize that the battery on the iPhone drains quite fast if the screen is always on. This prompted me to get an auxiliary battery since my spins are usually longer than 2 hours (which is fine with a charged iPhone battery). Anyway, I have found that with the added battery, the bracket was unable to withstand the vibrations on some of the secondary road and the case would be shaking alarmingly (not to mention that it would tilt to one side). Another thing I have noticed is that with attaching the battery the whole device would be really heavy. Weight is so important in road racing and I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. People are spending thousands of euros just to bring the bike frame weight couple of hundred grams lower and then I'm supposed to add this thing to my bike? Did not check it, but it must weight at least 300g. A big negative point.

On a different note, after a couple of cycles the sensor stopped working. I have changed the battery, checked the connections with the ANT+ cleaned everything and still there was nothing happening. This pretty much was the last drop and I have decided to return the product.

Conclusion: Decided to go for a specially built cycle computer which offers a small package for same features.

2.0 out of 5 stars great bit of kit - but serious flaws, 27 Sept. 2011
great bit of kit ...BUT, extreme caution needed for off-road mountain biking. I've had the iPhone fall out of the mounting bracket on several occasions only to be rescued by headphone cable. last weekend with no headphones I lost iPhone. Luckily able to retrieve thanks to some honest Polish mushroom pickers and the amazing "find my iPhone" app. second negative is that the transparent window is not very durable or scratch resistant, so have had to replace after less than 6 months.

would be a 5* review if not for these important deficiencies

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Product, 8 Feb. 2013
The main feature I was after was an ANT+ case for my iPhone that I would keep my phone protected and could be easily slipped into my jacket pocket, without having to keep undoing the case taking the phone out.

From the photos I believed I was onto a winner but unfortunately this was not the case (no pun intended). I would say the case added approx. 1-1.5cm to the width of the phone, 2 to 3cm to the height and at least 1cm to the thickness (due to the mouldings to accommodate the bike mount).

On the flip side, the case looked robust and appeared that it would provide an iPhone with good protection from the elements. .

I know there have been a few negative comments posted about the quality of the bike mount. I'm afraid I didn't get that far as testing the mount the size of the case put me off immediately as it was just too big.

I have now returned the product which is a shame as I really had high hopes for it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Much more robust than other reviews suggest, 20 Dec. 2013
This case, together with the Wahoo Fitness App and the Wahoo heart rate belt have completely revolutionised my training. The case arrived promptly and was easily fitted. In view of other reviews, I tucked a strip of old inner tube under the plastic ties to stop them slipping on bumpy roads. It has been absolutely solid as a rock and there are a lot of potholes in the lanes where I cycle. I used the YouTube clip to be sure I had mounted the cadence and speed sensors correctly and the whole lot worked brilliantly, connecting to my iPhone first time with the ANT+ connection. The display on the WF App is very clear and simple with some degree of customisability. Certainly the best iPhone App I have come across for training. I have set up a training programme using Training Peaks (I would certainly recommend that site) and the recorded output of all my sensors, including GPS mapping of the ride, is very easily uploaded to the TP site for analysis and comparison with the training plan. Concentrating on Heart Rate, time and Cadence instead of speed and distance means that I am doing the right amount of work for the stage of my training plan rather than pushing too hard or losing focus. I just bought the battery pack which also fits onto the mounting without any wobble so very pleased with the set up, which should allow me to do a 6 hour ride when I get to that point of my plan.

So, why not 5 stars? The touch sensitive screen cover is a little unresponsive (wont work at all through gloves though that shouldn't be a problem in the summer) and appears a bit flimsy (I think it will scratch and mark if not treated carefully). The other point is the WF App, which though excellent, could have a bit more flexibility and customisability to allow for instance Cadence to be displayed on the same screen as Hear Rate zones.

I'm saving up for a power meter which should work well with this kit too. Well done Wahoo.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wahoo fitness, 29 Jan. 2013
Highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb mount for iPhone 3GS, 4 & 4S, 11 Dec. 2012
J. Bassett - See all my reviews
I bought this mount for my iPhone 4S but it also fits the iPhone 3GS & 4 due to an interchangeable rubber insert.
The mount appears very solid and the quick release very positive; much better than some others. It appears totally weather proof in normal use and the touch screen works perfectly through the clear sheet on the front. I have also paired it to a Wahoo speed and cadence sensor and Garmin heart rate belt and speed and cadence sensor.
If you've got an iPhone and want to use it on your bike this is a good solution.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wahoo! Is well named., 28 Sept. 2013
I love this. I get all my bike data sent straight to my phone and I can analyse my workouts. Excellent bit of kit. I think the optional battery case is pretty essential though as otherwise you're limited to rides of less than two hours if you have all the sensors running and the phone active too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to mount and use, 1 July 2013
Mounting the case in the handle is easy and you can easly choose how you see the data.

Cadence magnet could use some filling material, so as to properly fit some pedal bars which are hollowed in the inside face. I found that epoxy the whole thing was a nice choice and recommend for long term instalation.

I do not like the spoke magnet, it does not fit so tightly as some cheaply all metal case magnets available out there. It come loose one time alreay and it is properly screwed, but since is is plastic, there is a feel that if you give it much torque you end up having a broken piece. I will exchange it soon, because when it came loose it started hiting the sensor, and that is not nice.

Coarse tuned it works flawlessly, i have no trouble getting good data out of it, and the Apps available from Wahoo seem perfect, since with WahooFitness you can record and share with everything noticeable out there. I really like those apps, they don't strain the battery that much (but no miracles here) and i haven't found any problems using them.

The case is thought and the whole locking system never gets loose. Mind here i only tried very bad pavement roads and not actually super off-road. There is not a noticeable touch-screen sensing loss. and everything is tight.

The magnets work, but could be better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall it's a great product, 15 April 2013
I'm on a limited budget and could not afford a compact dedicated cycle GPS computer unfortunately! I had a Cateye Strada on my previous bike which was really good but very small and difficult to read whilst cycling at speed. I decided to buy the Wahoo system after reading all the reviews because its within my budget and I love the iPhone apps and I want to be able to use the GPS functions as well as performance data and see it clearly.

Bad points
As others have said it is a small bracket that holds it to your handlebars so I added extra packing underneath to ensure I could get maximum torque on the cable ties. It's does bounce about a bit on really bad roads but it doesn't worry me now as I've got used to it.
I found the screen is very touch sensitive but does scratch really easily so strongly advise you not to use a gloved finger!
The plastic tab for releasing the phone from the case sits in the way of the head phone socket so needs to be positioned out of the way each time you put the phone into the case. Not a major problem but a small design fault.

Good points
The Wahoo app is great! The data is easy to read and good for training. I like the fact that you can set up voice alerts and audible data announcements too!
There are lots of other free cycling apps that are great fun and look good - you are spoilt for choice.
It was easy to fit and set up (watch the YouTube videos first) and it picked up the speed and cadence sensor perfectly.
Good value for money
Big screen, easy to read, lots of data (I'm saving up for the heart rate monitor now)
You have your music and phone with you too.

Overall I am very happy with this purchase. Yes it has a few bad points but for the price I would rather have this than a tiny cycle computer with limited options and functions.