Format: Audio CD|Change

on 9 July 2011
I've been pretty disappointed with quite a few of my recent dance/electronic music purchases. This also incidentally includes the supposedly genre defining new Balance mix by Henry Saiz.

This however, from Guy J, is exceptional from the moment you put it into your HiFi. CD1 is certainly the more melodic of the 2 discs and I kind of agree with the Amazon reviewer that it seems split into 3 sections, although I'd have included the 'Spica' track in the middle group - this being a similarly nice ambient track with a slightly deeper edge. Also, as that reviewer stated, not dissimilar to Bladerunner's soundtrack.

The real highlight on CD1 though is the final section starting (for me anyway) from the superb 'Electric tale'. This starts and freshens up everything that has gone before. Suddenly there's a delightful beat which really catches your attention, this segues nicely into 'Lamur', which I've heard on various other mix collections but never ceases to surprise - really really uplifting. Another great track.

'I lost my head' (AM Mix) is also amazing. More uplifting goodness with superb catchy loops and rises.

'Stay Cow' just seems to happen, you don't even realise that the previous track has ended - great mix.

Up to this point you might be thinking CD1 couldn't get better..... but it does. Guy J has saved the best till last on this disc. 'Fly' is simply a classic. The first time I played it, I went straight back to my HiFi, checked the box and replayed the track again and again.

CD1 reminds me so much of Chicane at their prime in the late 90's. Melodic, great vocal tracks and soaring, uplifting tracks to chill or dance to.

CD2 is also extremely good and it couldn't start any better. After the slow but driving intro the opening chords to 'Doves' start the journey. This is an absolute stunner of a track, excellent beat with slightly darker undertones - I can see Digweed using this!

The journey continues nicely for a few tracks, nothing really standing out but nothing really letting you down either. Then 'Sahara' comes in with a beautiful piano type echo over the top of an insistent driving beat. Tremendous. This one really is a track to lose yourself in over the near 10 minute duration.

Next up is 'Teva'. Not much to say about this except that it reminds me very much of Tilt. Harder and darker than anything we've had so far. Great stuff!!

I'm going to leave mentions of other tracks and let you find out for yourself. For me this is an absolute must purchase and I'm so pleased I did. I've not listened to much else since it arrived!

Finally, just a mention to CD3. This is a great idea for those that want to extract favourite tracks and create their own mixes. It's probably not the disc that you're going to put on each time but that's not the point.

Enjoy.
on 3 July 2012
1000 Words is one of my farourite CDs in recent times. Both mixes have a deep, haunting quality to them that makes them ideal for either the office or the small hours at home.

Granted, there are a few overly minimal, repetitive tracks on there, those these are much more noticeable on CD3. They work fairly well when integrated into the mixes, which is definitely the best way to enjoy this release. Hypnotic rhythms and beats with excellent sound quality. Highly recommended.
on 29 January 2012
I am an avid electronic music obsessive and for me this is easily album of the year (2011). So many many producers are out there these days and with some great stuff but with guy j something clicks for me, countless times his music is exactly what my mind wants to slip into.
Be it the hard breaks of "fly", the early hours peak hit of "personal haze" or mind easing hung over sunday sound of "easy as can be" and not forgetting the mind melting "sahara".
Not to mention all tracks being perefctly mixed. I cant recommend it enough, although some of the tracks never saw a full release as mp3 singles.
Who knows what 2012 brings for the young talented producer.............world and oyster spring to mind.
Hope you enjoyed my first review.
on 15 May 2011
This album is one of the greatest gifts in 2011 for Electronic music. I downloaded the music a week ago, not knowing this was a 2011 Guy J release. Since the time I played the first track intro and the opening track 'moderate', I was numb and paused myself knowing I was in for a dreamy ride. Its an album I took no time to grow on.
Guy J is such a consistent producer of fine quality electronic music he's one of the rare talents that has never disappointed, ever since I first saw him live at Ministry of Sound. The two tracks feat Miriam Vaga 'You' and Fly' is just so tastefully done, 'You' picks up the mood in the beginning and Fly closes it off with an uplifting feel to disc 1. Miriam is got a haunting voice which leaves such an effect on you. Part 2 is more fast paced progressive. I don't want to name standout tracks because I feel the beauty of this album lies if you discover the music by yourself. Its sublime, dreamy and very inspiring music which lets you focus on something you want very badly. Guy J is a true talent in every sense, if any of you guys get a chance to see him live, close your eyes go all out and have a great night out. Great album for the discerning electronic lover.
on 24 May 2011
the title says 1000 words, but there are not enough words out there to tell you just how great this cd collection is. OUTSTANDING.....should cover it from start to finish. cd.1. sublime mellow chillin, nicely put together. cd.2. give you a clue.......tune selection outstanding, mixing outstanding, to use an old an house term, a dj mix to take you on a journey, but ... but somehow guy j takes you on a musical spectrum adventure instead. as i said before....OUTSTANDING.
on 18 May 2011
I won't create a long review because I can't compete with the professional reviewer above ! I will say this is a wonderful, melodic, funky, slice of electronica that I absolutely love - the best mix this year. It's more of an album than a mix - just a great selection of quality tracks, both ambient and housey. Very Beautiful. Can't wait for his next release.
on 10 February 2014
This is up to Guy J's usual standards with a great selection of tracks. Maybe not the seamless mix of his Balance set but still superb deep house.
on 28 November 2011
I bought this triple CD pack earlier this year, it's ok - but coming back and reading the reviews makes me laugh - I would buy it again based on some of the 5 star reviews if I hadn't heard it already. Personally, there is really only one amazing track on the three CDs and that is 'I lost my Head' (and/or the several versions of it) - it's the only one I would play to anyone or put in a mix - because it has a really original musical riff that has a real emotional depth. For me, most, if not all of the other tracks don't make the grade half as much as this one - be your own judge. I bought the discs and got one nugget, but that's the risk you take...
55 comments|One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 September 2015
beautiful, melodic, flowing, deep proggy house.....start to finish
on 6 September 2011
Admittedly, I've only listened to this a couple of times, so the hope is that I'll discover something new next time, but usually if I like an album it stays in the player for a while. This was far too mellow. Didn't make me rush to give it a other chance.