4.0 out of 5 stars Pure Joy, 8 Oct 2011
Marc Laveaux (Montreal, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Collected (Audio CD)
I did not need this collection, I have more than 50 albums of Matthews and I have been a fan since 1973. I bought it by curiosity and because, for a short period of time, it was cheap. I figured before its release how it was going to be divided and I speculated on the selection of songs. I was right on the concept and wrong on many songs. Therefore, it is with great pleasure that I played the 3 discs. It makes me return to the original albums and rediscover how Iain Matthews is a treasure for those who know him. In his liner notes for the project, Matthews wishes for a seven CD box set with a seventy pages booklet and a sticker endorsement by Keith Richards. I would buy that too.

5.0 out of 5 stars A LIFE IN SONG, 23 Dec 2011
This review is from: Collected (Audio CD)
Iain (Ian) has written, participated and sang the songbook of my life over the last 40 plus years. His ability to be the master of song interpretation is displayed in all its glory over the 3 CD, 57 track opus collection.
No bonus tracks of nothing previously unavailable, just an ensemble of quality that should be the benchmark for any aspiring singer/songwriter.
Do I have any gripes? - Well it would have been nice to see his 1988 album for Windham Hill comprising the songs of Jules Shear included. Heck even the few tracks recorded for Deram by The Pyramid. Still when that 7 CD Boxset comes out, as he suggests in his notes, all the additional can be included.
Till then I will gladly play these albums as an enhancement to the Matthews'collection that already swells the CD and Vinyl racks in my home.
His UK tours are few and far between these days, as he has settled into the next phase of his life in the Netherlands. His occasional partnership with Ad Vanderveen is a musical marriage tour de force that I can say I'm fortunate to have seen.
His interest and love of jazz has been catered for by the Searing Quartet. the track titled 'Randolph Scott' from their joint album is a mild example of how the boy from Scunthorpe ( who supports Manchester Utd.) has superbly covered all the musical bases in his distinguished career.

4.0 out of 5 stars Shake it, 22 Sep 2013
This review is from: Collected (Audio CD)
Didn't think I would like the later output but they were rather good , but when you have a collected or best of or whatever you call it you would expect a big hit no matter where the hit was to be on there , one star missing for not having shake it on here although some might think it a weak song it should have been on here but still a great three disc.

5.0 out of 5 stars HE HAS NEVER MADE A BAD RECORD FROM MATTHEWS SOUTHERN COMFORT TO PLAINSONG WITH SOME ..., 18 Aug 2014
This review is from: Collected (Audio CD)
HE HAS NEVER MADE A BAD RECORD FROM MATTHEWS SOUTHERN COMFORT TO PLAINSONG WITH SOME BRILLIANT SOLO RECORDS,SINGER,SONGWRITER WHAT A TALENT

Collected
Collected by Ian Matthews (Audio CD - 2011)