Price:£22.95+ Free shipping

on 8 May 2012
Having some experience in Solar observing following several Eclipses I did not get this product from this buyer but my local photographic shop, who sold me the Telescope, this is just a confidence thing on my part, having seen this go wrong in the past. However, the original reviewer has confirmed this is the ND 5 film suited for use with telescopes, so I will be happy to come back here should I need to protect another instrument.

At A4 it is just about wide enough to fully cover a 5" Telescope and long enough to also also cover the finder scope (because you don't want to peek directly at the sun at any magnification). You could probably go to 6" or larger but be absolutely sure you have no chinks or gaps to allow unfiltered light into your scope. Baader offer some good advice on building a filter cell which I have adapted. I followed their instructions for the scope collar but extended the frame for the film to cover the star finder. It worked well over the weekend photographing Sun spots. I am now looking forward the transit of Venus in June, and possibly the next Eclipse expedition.
review image
on 17 May 2012
I'm still a newcomer to astronomy and I don't have heaps of cash to throw around, but I really wanted to look at the sun. So after buying this I took out my telescope, attached the film and aimed...All I can say is WOW. With this film you can see that the sun is alive.
review image review image
on 23 September 2012
This product does what it says on the packet. It cuts out most of the light from the sun and allows you to view its surface safely-provided of course that you make a filter to cover the entire light capturing opening of the telescope.
I use it on my 4.5" reflector. The opening is about 6" in diameter and I made a filter to cover this. I found it almost impossible to avoid a few waves in the filter but, in the event, the slight irregularities made no discernable difference.
I am now able to see sun spots on the sun's surface but I was sorry to see that I could make out no other details. I had hoped to be able to see granulation on the surface but I could see no details of any sort apart from the sunspots. I have been told that a Solar Continuum filter used in conjunction with the Baader filter should enable me to see granulation but the filters cost about £50-£60 so I have not yet taken the plunge and bought one.
on 30 March 2012
I have always wanted to use my telescope to look at the sun and this film provides a low cost way to make your own objective filter to do so. The film was supplied as an A4 sheet and came complete with full and comprehensive instructions on how to incorporate it into a home-made housing. I had anticipated the procedure somewhat and had already fabricated a housing prior to receipt. Mounting the film to the housing was a little fiddly but the tips in the instructions were extremely helpful and I would say that if you followed those you would find it well within your ability to obtain a satisfactory result. You can see the steps I took to manufacture the filter and the first images I obtained through the eyepiece at my Youtube site [...]

Telescope House who supplied the product were prompt with delivery and even furnished me with a 'prize draw number' offering the chance to win astronomically-oriented prizes every week with odds far better than that offered by the Natonal Lottery!

If you wish to see the transit of Venus (when that planet passes between us and the Sun) in June this Year then this is a great way to do it.
on 25 June 2012
This is much better value than a conventional filter, promptly delivered, although the instructions were not great. There are two films on either side, one tissue and one clear. It is easily ripped and wrinkled so great care is needed when creating your filter. This started as a filter for my telescope and ended up as a filter for my binoculars! (it would have been a struggle anyway: an A4 sheet would fit less than 6 inch dia telescope, I estimate). It is a basic filter so good for sunspots, eclipses, transit of venus (if you can wait over 100 years for the next one, assuming there are no clouds) but will not show the sort of detail you might see in astronomy mag photos.
on 30 June 2012
if you want to use a telescope to view the sun you must have a proper solar filter. used as described by the supplier, you will get the cheapest best solution. if you are no good with handicrafts then this may not be for you! requires some 'blue peter' style cutting and sticking. make sure you remove both the protective films.
on 7 March 2014
Arrived safe and sound. We had pre-built the frame to which this was to be stuck to.
In no time at all it was stuck down and we was out side with it fitted to the telescope, at the time we were viewing the sun there was quite a lot of solar activity so plenty of spots to view.
This really has made our astronomy more enjoyable, it is easy to use and if you follow the instructions it is safe. To keep the filter safe and sound we have found it fits nicely in celebrations plastic box.
on 8 June 2012
I had thought to buy the more expensive solar filters for viewing the sun but came upon the Baader filters by accident after reading about the forthcoming transition of Venus in an astronomy magazine. When the filter arrived I had to enlist my husband's help (unfortunately!) but bless him he did a sterling job with a cereal packet and some duck tape. A true Blue Peter moment. Now it is really easy to use and gives you amazing views of our Sun. As long as you check the filter each time before use and make sure it's secure...happy viewing. Just a shame it was cloudy here in South Wales the morning of the transition. Typical! I wholeheartedly recommend these filters.
on 2 August 2013
Brought one sheet, shared cost with a friend to make two filters for two 70 mm 'scopes. Remember there is an 'invisible' protective film on the opposite face side to the obvious backing tissue!
on 6 August 2013
Exactly as it said on the tin - received my A4 sheet of film, (fixed it to end of telescope) and spent a day watching sun spots rotate around the white disc in the sky. :-)

See one answered question