on 28 August 2012
I needed an item to connect two PCs (one desktop one laptop) to the same ethernet input. As the usage of each machine is very specific (one for study, the other for play/shopping/paying bills etc) I did not need one to connect to the internet at the same time as the other. There has been no drop in service performance through connecting to the splitter, the signal being as strong as it would be if ethernet plugged directly to the hub. If you want multiple devices to come off the same ethernet line you need an Ethernet Switch (such as the Netgear GS105), not an ethernet splitter. This is simply a time saving device designed so that you don't have to keep manually swapping ethernet cables between two devices not used at the same time.

I hope this clarifies things and helps people to make the right purchase subject to their own specific needs and requirements.
0Comment| 104 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 September 2013
I also bought 2 of these based on Iain's "helpful" assurances. He is very very wrong.

Basically a CAT5 splitter should take Pins 1-8 input and deliver pins 1236 to pins 1236 on the left socket, and pins 4578 to pins 1236 on the right socket. You would use two of these at each end of a single cable to break it out into two sockets at each end thereby enabling two computers/devices to work *at the same time*. This device does NOT do that.
It is a parallel all-pins-to-all-pins and so two devices connected at the same time will fight with each other and both ultimately lose. I took one apart and took a photo: [...]

Avoid this product - it will not do what you expect/want.
review image review image review image
33 comments| 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 January 2012
I read some negative reviews about this so was reluctant to buy ...... but did so anyway. Probably because it was cheap! I have an office with a wired-in cable from my internet hub (prefer wired rather than wireless). I have two two computers - one for work and a personal one which I had acquired recently. I had been taking the cable out of one and inserting in to the other whenever I needed internet access which was a pita as the connection is at the back. This little gadget works brilliantly. I can use both machines at the same time without any problem or interference/loss of connection and does exactly what I want it toRJ45 Cat 5 LAN Ethernet Splitter Connector Adapter.
on 23 February 2012
this device is not intended to give you 2 connections from a single ethernet port from your router or hub. It is deigned to allow you to have 2 connections down the same ethernet cable. You have to spit them at the router end and utilise 2 of your ethernet ports. Nothing to do with MAC ADDRESS, DHCP or anything else remotely connected to routing protocols etc. Its a hard wired device that splits the 8 wires on your ethernet cable. Pins 1,2,3 and 6 are the only pins used for router to computer/device. Pins 4,5,7 and 8 and redundant on normal home use devices. This device spits the pairs on the one cable allowing 2 ethernet connections to co exist on one cable. I am a proffesional network engineer and we use simliar splitters to do the same job for proffesional installations. Albeit we only use them as a temp solution. Not because they are in-effective but because they dont look proffesional. We would then pay a someone a lot of money to re run new cables.. Its nothing to do with cost and the quality of these splitters. Its a simple cross connect device and nothing more complicated than that. Most peole try and use this to connect their Xbox/ media players/Smart TV's etc onto a single router port.....THIS WILL NOT WORK....EVER....luck has nothing to do with it......this is when you need a hub...so before anyone else rubbish's this product try using it for what it was intended to be used for...
2525 comments| 139 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 December 2011
I have 2 computers which need to be connected to one RJ45 socket for the internet.
This Adapter means that they can both be permanently connected, so I don't have to keep unplugging one & plugging in the other.

However, I did't (& still don't) expect it to allow internet access for both computers at the same time.
As long as you know that, it won't disappoint.
44 comments| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 August 2013
Supplier needs to review the quaility of this product .... the LAN cable RJ45 plugs do not fit snug or firm & as a consequence does not work. I tried several cables just in case it was a single RJ45 plug issue.
on 6 January 2014
Took three weeks to arrive because it was airmailed from Singapore. Tried it with several cables - all fitted badly and no connection was made on either branch. Can't be bothered returning it for £0.97. A waste of time.
on 15 September 2013
Ordered two, neither worked out on arrival. I broke one trying to dismantle it, got the other one open. Build quality is dreadful, serious risk of shorts between contacts, tolerances on contact positioning are atrocious. I did eventually manage to fix the second one by moving the contacts with a sharp spike, and using a cable tester to ensure the positioning was correct. Do not order these. If you have, do not even think about using them until you having verified them with a cable tester - I'm not an expert on ethernet equipment but I imagine you might be able to damage it by connecting it one of these, if it were to short out the pairs.

Incidentally, these *are* simply a splitter (when they work), *not* a concentrator/combiner. I was aiming to use it for a situation where I have two devices that I want to share a connection with, but not at the same time. Though 100BASETX does in theory still support media sharing, I believe, so simultaneous use might work, albeit with a drop in throughput. Obviously not a recommended configuration, though.

Edit to add: CPC do a very reasonably priced USB-powered network switch. I've used that in the situation where I originally wanted to use this splitter, with perfect results.
on 18 July 2013
First of all this device is a splitter. It does split the 8 pins from one port into two, all eight pins are connected to all other pins inside (I have opened her up to check).

What it will do: it will split one ethernet connecting into two allowing you to connect two device to one switch port.

What it will not do: It WILL NOT allow two active (some device are still active in standby - PS3 for example) to use the same port. Device A needs to be powered off in order to use device B and true for the reverse.

Incorrect info stated in these reviews: the splitter does not split device A down four pins and device B down the other four pins - this is hokum and led to my purchase which was a waste of a couple of quid, why? I will get to that..

The device is bad, very bad. The case is thin plastic that breaks easy if any stress is applied during insertion of the RJ45 plug. The pins on mine needed to be aligned just to accept the plug properly. I ran a ping test to the connected device for 30 minutes, the pings timed out intermittently and often. I stream HD video over ethernet usually so I tried with this device connected, I could not get 5 minutes into the video before a stutter or total failure would occur.

My recommendation: Get a switch, £7.03 will get you this lovely TP-Link 10/100Mbps switch (a 1000Mbps is available for a few quid more):
TP-Link TL-SF1005D 5-Port 10/100Mbps Unmanaged Desktop Switch

I hope this helps someone to buy a decent product and not this tat.

(I'm in no way connected with TP-Link, I have a few of the above switches and found them to be solid and reliable)

Jay
on 13 July 2013
After 2 months use, the connection failed leaving me without Ethernet. I cannot recommend this adaptor if it is going fail so quickly.