Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

on 4 December 2013
This is a good trilogy, and I enjoyed this book I am now going to buy the other two books to complete the set. A really good read and worth more (in my opinion) but was glad of the low Amazon price.
on 16 January 2014
Best book ever. I defiantly recommend reading this book. I couldn't put it down. If you like romance and action books you've found the perfect one. I can't wait to read the next one.
on 21 March 2015
Really good book and looking forward to reading the next one, at first thought it was going to be predictable but it wasn't it has a lot of good twists and keeps you reading.
on 9 January 2013
Started this book and really did not know what to think. Got a bit confused but once you have read a few chapters you start to understand what is happening with the plot.
on 14 February 2014
A well written fantasy and romance story...
It was easy to get caught up in the lives of the characters and I cannot wait to continue the story in book 2.
on 3 April 2012
I, probably like most who read this, downlooded it as I'm a fan of YA paranormal romances. And it was free. I was pleasantly surprised at first, I was drawn into the story quite quickly and the beginning of the novel moved really fast. She was immortal by i think 30 % of the way in.

However, I felt that Bryn was way, way, WAY too self depricating. It got to the point where it was actually annoying. As another poster commented, how many times does William have to declare his love before she believes it? And everyone obvioulsy thinks she is beautiful, but she won't have it! It's nice to have someone a little bit humble, but she was downright neurotic about it!

I also felt that after the first 30% of the novel, it moved incredibly slowly. Not a whole lot happened in about 50% of the book, if not more.

I did like the characters, but I admit Patrick was way more appealing than William, but I like the cheeky chappy type. It was a good twst to find out they were brothers, but again she moved very fast with this, he was introduced and then BAM a few pages later he's William's brother.

Bryn would have been likeable had she not had literally zero self awareness or confidence. It was really off putting how down she was about herself. I thought Bella Swan was bad, but she makes her look perfectly normal! She also accepted her fate a little too quickly. It was, like, I've changed you forever and she was like, Ok, so are we back together? Hmmmm....

John and Stella were also very over the top, more like pantomine villains than anyone actually scary.

The pacing of the whole novel was very weird, it would move like the speed of light at one moment, and then at a snails pace the next. The ending was quite exciting and I found I did care somewhat for the characters.

All being said, the book wasn't actually bad, I've read better but I've also read a whole lot worse, too. I would recommend anyone who is described in my first paragraph (a lover of YA romance novels) to have a look see at this - and not to forget, it's free so you really have nothng to loose! To the poster who said they wanted it to finish - nobody FORCED you ro read the whole thing!

I hope that this has been helpful, I know a lot of what I said was quite negative, but I do think a lot of people who like this type of book as a rule, will enjoy it. And it's quite a nice break from vampires/werewolves/angels/demons etc. a new twist on the genre.
on 6 August 2015
i didnt even finish reading this, it failed to keep me engaged, i didnt like the story hence the reason i stopped reading. sorry
on 21 December 2011
I read this and the other two books in the trilogy in one (three day long) sitting. I am now in the process of reading them again. I haven't loved a book like this since Twilight. Now i have to add i am not a YA (try heading into my thirties) by any stretch of the imagination but thoroughly enjoyed these. The fact the first was free was an added bonus. I eagerly but gently followed the story of Bryn and William and with bated breath at times. The ending makes it all worth it. The characters were great and very likable - especially Patrick and William and co. The only negative point i have is that there were some pretty bad typos with grammar and spelling which were mildly irritating. I can't stop thinking about the books and am wistfully sitting here waiting for my own William to appear, something tells me i will be waiting a while so i will just stick to reading the trilogy again. I will add as a final note i am a hopeless romantic and believe in finding 'the one' and these books fuel this. There are also some decent bits of action and pages where you have to fight the urge to flick forward to make sure what you want to happen does (this is not always the case straight away).
on 22 February 2014
Got me gripped right from the sart, would recommend to all types of readers. Good first book of the set
on 24 May 2012
This. Was. Dreadful.

I respect the effort that any writer goes to to come up with 400 pages of story. But that respect doesn't mean automatic praise. Even though I imagine it must be painful for an author to read negative reviews of a work they've slaved over, I'm in the business of writing honest reviews. No holds barred.

I can actually sum this book up rather nicely in two words: saccharine rubbish. However, two words does not a review make so I'll expand.

The book actually started off quite decently. Bryn (which is Welsh for "hill", by the way, and which is also a boy's name here in Wales) had some gumption and I was intrigued by her mysterious past. When William, the rather obvious love-interest turned up, I liked the little sparks caused by the clash of personalities. Bryn was narrow-minded and judgemental, but I was willing to forgive that as I assumed her icy presumption was going to be due to her past and a part of the story.

Nope. It was like someone flipped a switch and turned her character from a snarky, smart college student to a love-sick puppy within a matter of pages. Here, for your enjoyment, are a few of my "favourite" and especially sickly pieces of dialogue:

"I knew what I'd been born into this world for, and he was staring back at me."

"Once you've lived in nothing but darkness, when a light suddenly shines through - even the faintest glimmer - it's all you see, all you focus on, and the only thing you live for."

"Seeing you freed me from the clutches of the darkness in my mind."

"It was the kind of love that never gave you a moment's doubt. The kind of love that you knew, if you were not allowed to be with the object of it, you would choose to be with no one at all. The kind of love that would make everything you'd ever done, or would do, pale horridly in comparison, It was beyond comprehension and far beyond words."

Oh...wait a second. I just threw up in my mouth a little.

The most poignant part of the above would be the "far beyond words" part. For something beyond words, Williams uses a lot of them to constantly reiterate the fact that Bryn and William's love is so sweet it'll make your teeth hurt. Furthermore, I remember reading somewhere (maybe in Stephen King's On Writing) that nothing should be beyond the power of words for a writer.

Now, if you shove aside the thin characters, Bryn's ridiculously tedious self-deprecation, the corny dialogue, the cheesy situations and the fact that William is not only a stalker, but also is apparently a three hundred year old virgin, there is one thing which sealed the lid on the little pot of contempt I have for this dreadful book. It is a book which is about having a boyfriend.

I can think of no redeeming feature of the book as a whole, other than it offers me the rare opportunity to post a review which results in a rating of half a star. I think this is the first time I've ever had to do that. If I didn't have reviews to write, I don't think I would have managed to slog my way through to the end of this dismal piece of badness.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse