5.0 out of 5 stars excellent
I loved this book. The writing style was very entertaining. The parts about the demonic flys made me laugh so hard my eyes were running and yet at other times it was frightening. Funny, frig htening and very ironic. Anyone interested in a scary, touching tale, this book is for you. I loved this book. It's not ofter I say that. Gillian x
Published 21 months ago by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars "It Does Not Permit Itself to Be Read"
Published 16 months ago by A E Glynn

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 29 July 2013
This review is from: House of Darkness House of Light: The True Story Volume One (Kindle Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating insight to the Paranormal, 4 Jun. 2014
Volume 1. Written by the eldest of the sisters, this book reveals the plight of a lovely family who's dream home delivers a rude awakening to the existence of the spirit world. It is well written and a compelling read. One can't help but feel sorry for Carolyn and admire the children for their courage in accepting and adapting to a situation that would leave most people running for the door. Off to read volume 2 now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing story, but needs editing., 30 Nov. 2013
I am quite well versed in the supernatural and was thrilled that someone had written about their experiences hence why I purchased the book. I didn't buy this book for entertainment purposes so my review of it is probably better than others. The experiences of the family are by no measure unique or isolated. People all over the world experience similar phenomena and in most cases it goes un-documented. I applaud Andrea for taking the time to compose this memoir of supernatural experience.

The book itself doesn't seem to follow a chronology - the events are not mentioned in the sequence that they occurred. It would be better if they were as it becomes easier to follow. The text can often become repetitive, going over the same point again and again hence why I think it could do with professional editing.

If you have the patience to await for the story as it unfolds then buy the book otherwise I fear you might be disappointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars "It Does Not Permit Itself to Be Read", 15 Dec. 2013
A E Glynn (New Haven, CT United States) - See all my reviews
I am not someone who enjoys leaving a negative review, and I have immense respect for the amount of stamina and dedication required to complete a writing project of this length. However, when I see the (incomprehensible!) positive reviews that this book is getting and how well it is selling, I feel that it would actually be dishonest of me not to set the record straight. I have to warn other potential customers: SAVE YOUR MONEY.

I know you liked the "The Conjuring" -- I liked it, too, which is why I bought this book. Trust me when I tell you that this book contains no new information, no further character development, and no documented historical background that explains significant plot points. Ed and Lorraine Warren are barely referenced and never appear "on stage" as characters. No part of the haunting, possession, or exorcism is discussed in any level of detail, beyond the characters having vague uneasy feelings, family squabbles and teenaged tantrums. The author tells us that Bathsheba or some other female ghost is influencing the mother but never tells us how. There is a lot of angsty language about how frightened the kids are, but the most anyone sees is an apparition standing around. Oh, and a fence post floats...maybe.

In short, there is less information on the Perron haunting in this book than there is in the movie, and you will have to work damned hard to decipher what little there is from the morass of words.

Please understand that I am not being "picky" or "snobby" when I tell you that this book is totally ruined by its atrocious grammar and punctuation: I don't mind bad grammar in a good story. What we have in this case is grammar so bad that it completely HIDES what little story is here. The writing is so technically poor that in many places the reader literally cannot understand what is meant to be happening.

Perron has mixed constructions, comma splices, and misplaced modifiers all over the place. She uses words because she likes the way that they sound with no apparent knowledge of what they actually mean. Her misuse and abuse of semicolons is at a level I've never seen before -- and I'm an English teacher, so I thought I'd seen it all. Even in my introductory-level class, the author would not receive a passing grade with this kind of work. In fact, I'm not sure she would pass a written TEFL/ESOL test (and yes, English is her first language).

Again, this isn't a grammar-snob issue; even though I'm a teacher, I can read and enjoy self-published books that aren't up to my professional standards. _House of Darkness_ is on an entirely separate level from some interesting book that just happens to have some missing apostrophes and a bunch of run-on sentences. _House of Darkness_ is unreadable.

Non-grammatical writing quirks also show up on every page: a penchant for reinventing cliches ("back-in-time travel", "Boo!Who?", "the new paranormal"); constantly referring to major (named) characters as "the man" or "the woman"; obliquely bringing up interesting scenarios only to abandon them (she briefly tells us that the Warrens only made the situation worse but never describes what the investigators did or how the situation worsened, and then she immediately moves on to some unrelated subject); prefacing every single chapter with an inspirational quote -- and ending with ANOTHER one; tortuously achieved puns that aren't funny enough to be worth the effort; and too many more oddities to list here.

I've had students like this. They are convinced that they are great writers and want to break, ignore, or not bother to learn the "rules". The analogy I use with them is that great jazz musicians must learn to master "straight" music before they can improvise, or that Picasso had to learn to draw accurately from life before he could become an innovator. You will never learn to write like Faulkner (or Joyce, or Nabakov, or...) if you can't master writing like Roger Hargreaves (or Richard Scarry, or Enid Blyton, or...) first.

In a "true" ghost story, where we only want to know what "really" happened, a clear and concise style is preferable to even the best poetic language (which this is NOT). If we can't understand what you're saying because your writing is so flowery, then it's time to get out the pruning shears.

Coincidentally, Ms. Perron happened to be a guest recently on a favorite show of mine, Jim Harrold's Paranormal Podcast. She complained that every publisher she had approached with this project wanted to "control" her book too much. She was offended by their desire to interfere, so she chose to self-publish. It's depressing to consider how much better this book would have been with a professional co-author or even just a competent editor. What a shame that she couldn't sacrifice her desire to micromanage her memoir for the good of the story...and the reader!

2.0 out of 5 stars What a shame...., 21 Dec. 2013
I have always been fascinated by the supernatural and became really interested in the Perron's story from the moment I watched a trailer for The Conjuring on TV. So I brought Volume 1 before having seen the movie. Unfortunately Andrea's book does not do their story justice.

To be fair on Andrea Perron, she recounts so many things that I was surprised at how much was remembered from 30 years before. But I do think that she focused too much on writing EVERYTHING down, and she forgot that this is still a novel and writing style is important. Consequently, the book has no flow to it and she repeats things...a lot. Experiences are separated by chapters, but these experiences are not written chronologically, so the book goes back and forth in time which can be annoying.

The first few chapters cover Carolyn Perron thinking of purchasing the house and the eventual sale, which is unnecessary. Why didn't she cover the sale of the house in one chapter and go straight into the actual story of the house? I actually skipped about 60 pages and started from the chapter where they move in. And that's another annoying thing...Andrea does not mention any supernatural experiences for the chapter that recounts the family's first month or so in the house. However, you later find out in the book that one of the girls saw a ghost on the day of moving in, whilst the family were unpacking their things! Why was this not mentioned in the chapter about them moving into the house?!

I've yet to complete the book because I got bored about two thirds of the way through. I've now seen the movie and thoroughly enjoyed it.

In conclusion, brilliant story, just badly written.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read...., 24 Sept. 2013
.. editing would've helped immensely in my opinion. It jumped around a bit, but in all honesty i found it one of those books you just can't put down. I've seen the film 'The Conjuring' which i loved so on reading the book i was shocked to hear this poor family suffered at the hands of these spirits good & bad for 10years! It was a very atmospheric book & at times i cried for these people (but i am a bit of a wimp like that) especially as the mother isn't believed by her own husband & she is clearly being targeted by the most grimmest/hateful spirit. I'm just ordering volume 2 which i'm really looking forward to as this is where The Warrens are introduced & quite frankly all hell breaks loose. The fact that this is a true story told by the eldest sister makes it worth while in my opinion.

2.0 out of 5 stars Hard Work, 9 April 2014
I am a person that can get through a good book in a matter of hours. This book took me 3 months! Very hard going at times, repetitive, long winded and altogether a bit odd. No structure to it, as though it was written my a complete novice and sent for print with no editing having taken place. It needed a damn good edit!....I finished it because i was utterly determined it wouldn't beat me but it was very hard work.

Having said that their story is fascinating wether you believe it or not, i'm on the side of not to be honest as the future owners say they have experienced no such paranormal activity. Mmmm funny that
To sum up, borrow, don't buy

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 2 Sept. 2013
Its an iteresting read ,about a family haunting,somtimes the writer can wofal on about the same subject without getting to the point,but i still couldnt put it down,as it kept me wanting more!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 8 Aug. 2013
N. Briscoe (UK) - See all my reviews
The author can write, there's no doubt about that. Unfortunately her style of writing would be a lot better suited to a fantasy novel where you want three pages of description about every single thing. She massively misses the point, people have bought this book because they want the facts about the story- the inside information from the people involved, but the author misses this completely and turns it into a long and drawn out account of absolutely everything. Much of it is irrelevant or could be summed up in a few sentences, yet everything is described in such ridiculous detail that you will find yourself skipping massive chunks of it in the desperate hope that you will find an interesting bit. I felt at times like I was reading an English assignment written by a teenager who had taken far too many descriptive writing lessons.

Another thing that is both confusing and irritating is that the story is told in the most random order. You seem to go from the first 'incident' to them having accepted that things are happening. You jump months and years back and forth. There is no in between, no build up of events. Then it switches back to an earlier event, then flies forward again. Very messy.

I bought the book because, after seeing the film, I was curious as to how different it was from the real events. I wish I hadn't bothered, the film at least told a chronological series of events. The book left me frustrated and wondering why I had wasted my time.

5.0 out of 5 stars House of Darkness House of Light, 3 Oct. 2013
A fascinating tale of a families encounters with the paranormal. This is a very detailed account of the families experiences its an amazing tale. While reading you feel like you are right there with the family in the house. This book is not a "horror story" there is a bigger message to be shared, gets the reader thinking on a different level, asking themselves some tough questions. I loved the book and am now reading volume two.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›