5.0 out of 5 stars A band deserving of attention
Despite managing to create 6 studio albums over the last 9 years Okkervil River are still a band that remain relatively unknown the the general populace and to someone who has fallen in love with them, the reasons behind this remain a mystery.

Published on 9 May 2011 by Richard Belbin

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing....
Published on 12 May 2011 by M. J. Loveridge

5.0 out of 5 stars A band deserving of attention, 9 May 2011
Richard Belbin (Dundee, Sco) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Am Very Far (Audio CD)

The quality of each of their albums is easily comparable to their peers on the indie/folk/rock/alternative/whatever scene that has recently become populated with bands such as The National, Wilco and The Decemberists, however Okkervil River have yet to find the more mainstream appeal that their contemporaries have enjoyed.

For fans of any of the aforementioned bands, Okkervil River are an essential band to check out, and many will not leave disapointed. For those more familiar with the bands work, this album continues the bands tradition of providing a quality product. Personally it took me a couple of listens to really fall in love with this album as I have done with their previous offerings, and it perhaps lacks some of the moments of magic that Will Sheff has produced in the past (see Black Sheep Boy for a perfect example). However, this is certainly an early contender for my album of the year... not that my opinion counts for anything.

4.0 out of 5 stars More Genius from Sheff and Co but a new direction!, 11 May 2011
Tommy Dooley "Tom" (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: I Am Very Far (Audio CD)
I admit up front I am a massive Okkervill River fan, and this is nearly five stars but I am using past work as my yardstick here like `Black Sheep Boy', and `The Stage Names'. To be honest I think Will Sheff should get 5 stars for a recording of him tieing up his shoe laces, but I intend to be objective and let my hero worship have a day off.

So - Will Sheff is possibly the hardest working man in show biz and the band are a force to be reckoned with in a live performance. One thing that doesn't normally change is that Will Sheff (lead singer writer, art work etc) normally writes poetry that tells a tale and fits beautifully to the music. He seems to be concentrating a lot more on the actual sound as opposed to the message with this their latest offering.

A song in point is `Show yourself' the constant repetition of the title line becomes hypnotic and is unusual for a Sheff number, but it is used to contextualise and add resonance and does work. There are nods to previous work in the shape of `Rider' and my favourite `Lay of the Last Survivor'.

Track 9 `Wake and be fine' was offered as a free download prior to release and is actually quite indicative of the flavour of this in that the drums and bass lines are much more up front than on past offerings, but he still knows how to spin a yarn with the likes of `We need a myth'.

The previous labels of folk, alt rock. Americana etc could easily be missed off from this work and just say `rock' as this is the most hard edged I have heard from Okkervill. There are some real gems on the instrumentation front too including, filing cabinet and cassette player - marvelous.

This is a good album, but is still a departure from their previous style so may not be to established fans taste, that said every single offering from them has taken their style forward or in different directions and that can only be a good thing. They are still one of my favourite bands and I await releases from them as an over eager child looks forward to Christmas, if you are yet to be introduced to this great band I suggest here may not be good a place to start, try 'The Stage Names'The Stage Names as a good introduction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Album of the Year - and it's only May!, 26 May 2011
This review is from: I Am Very Far (MP3 Download)
A truly stunning effort from Will Sheff & Co. So good, it's driven me to write my first Amazon review! Yes, you need Black Sheep Boy in your collection because it's possibly the finest album I have ever heard - but, six years later Okkervil River continue to impress. Fabulous orchestration - listen to the strings on We Need a Myth, the gorgeous woodwind on Lay of the Last Survivor or the menacing drums which punctuate White Shadow Waltz (currently my favourite track). Great opening track The Valley will hook you immediately, but don't take my word for it, just buy the thing; you'll thank me one day!

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing...., 12 May 2011
M. J. Loveridge "Mattleeds" (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Am Very Far (Audio CD)
Being an Okkervil fan for a few years who has almost everything they have recorded (and loved all the back catalogue) I was looking forward to the new release coming through my door on Monday. After listening to it a number of times I've wanted to like it soooo much but to be honest its a bit of a disappointment. There are no real stand out tracks like 'girl in port' or 'unless it kicks'. It all seems a bit cluttered - there seems to be too much going on and over produced. It's good that bands should try new directions to keep it interesting but I think this album is a step in the wrong direction. Maybe in 6 months I'll be back on and say it's great...we'll see....

I Am Very Far
I Am Very Far by Okkervil River (Audio CD - 2011)