4.0 out of 5 stars Good product

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars
did not last up to a year before it crashed and could not be repair
Published 10 days ago by Oluwatosin Abiodun

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, 14 Sep 2011
This review is from: Acer Aspire ICONIA TAB A501 10.1 inch LED Tablet (nVidia Tegra 250 Dual cortex A9, 1GB RAM, 32GB HDD, Bluetooth, Wireless, Android v3.0 Honeycomb) - 3G (Personal Computers)
Weighty, conveying a sense of quality. Easy to set up. OS is robust with a polished UI. Comes with enough pre-installed software to satisfy most end-user requirements. Charges quite quickly after first time. With 3g you can pop in a SIM from a mobile broadband dongle and you're up and running. You should set the WIFI disconnect policy to "Never when plugged in" so that the WIFI takes precedence over 3g. If you do not set this option you will have difficulty connecting with a SIM inserted. A good piece of tech indeed. WIFI will disconnect however when device is idle for a while. The only problem is finding good quality apps on the android store - good luck with that!

Four stars only because it cannot make me a cup of tea!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Piece of Kit! Forget IPad!, 26 July 2011
Leaves the IPad (1 or 2) totally in the shade. Importantly, allows you to view flash items and upload and download with ease from your PC. There are several nice gimmicks included, I particularly like the facility to speak your Google Search request into the tablet and within seconds your search is displayed on the screen! Another little marvel is the 'musicA' app (included) that listens to any piece of music, tells you what it is and who recorded it, then offers a full history of the artist and many video clips relating to that artist, great!

The tablet really is quite fast and web pages pop up quickly. Another great advantage over the IPad is the ability increase memory to 64GB by inserting a micro SD card (get the Sandisk 32GB card for under 40.00 from Amazon) To achieve 64GB with the IPad would cost an extra 100.00 over their 32GB version.

Absolutely love this bit of kit, if you want some fun, then, go for it! Don't hesitate. Well done Acer! (and Amazon of course).

UPDATE 08-08-11:

Had a problem with 3G/sim facility. The A501 asks for a sim card to be inserted, insert the card, told that sim card has been inserted and that the A501 will restart, after restart, asked for a sim card to be inserted once again. The A501 did not recognise the sim after many, many attempts. Also the entrance for the micro memory card and sim card is extremely 'fiddly' and awkward, not user friendly at all.

There appears to be a problem with the A501 recognising a sim card, maybe it is just my particular unit and others do not give a problem? However, am returning the tablet to Amazon (very helpful so far) and asking for a full refund. I will wait a few months to see if this particular problem receives increased complaints from customers before considering buying another A501.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW WOW WOW, 1 Mar 2012
Mr. Dj Ryan (kettering) - See all my reviews
what a fantastic bit of kit , tablet was with me in 4 days from ordering inc. w/end 5* straightaway for that, then the price of 350 i did have a few concerns because another review said they received a secondhand tablet but no worries it was all sealed and immaculate when i opened it up .Next was to update it to latest honeycomb version only took about 20 mins ,had to leave tablet plugged in for this and this is where i can find the only fault i do have to agree with another review about power lead very short . The tablet itself operates very smooth and the screen is excellent quality ,we do have an ipad in the house and yes side by the side the ipad would win by a nose but then when you compare the flexibility of an android tablet and the apple shackles plus this acer is 32gb, 3g and has expandable memory to double up to 64gb (ipad eqiv. over 600) you have to give it to the acer

5.0 out of 5 stars Acer Tablet, 21 Nov 2011
The tablet has proven very easy to use and simple to update with a good range of software. It is realiable and efficient, and provides a solid tool for most day-to-day purposes. Not really for long documents but excellent for everything else.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Tablet, 1 Jun 2012
M. A. Tozer - See all my reviews
The product arrived two days late, not because of the vendor, but becuase Amazon used 'Home' delivery service who drove past my house three times taking it to every depot in the West Midlands to get it delivered to my house (apparantly nothing to do with Amazon, which I can't work out).
Anyway, the product is great. Very well built and sturdy which is what I expect from ACER.
I upgraded to 64GB with a Sumsung SD card from Amazon for 24 and popped in my 3 SIM card from my wireless dongle and connetced it to my wireless broad band and away we go.
Still cheaper than an iPad 2 on sell off.
Software updated no problem. There's a lot of stuff on there I won't use, I only really bought it to browse the net rather than sit infront of my PC all night.
It's well equipped, HDMI out, USB a lot of which you don't get on most tablets which cost far more.
So why fours stars and not five...........well it is heavy, and in typical ACER fashion the battery life is poor (last ages in standby, but once in use soon runs low and my experience with ACER batteries is they don't last, which worries me a bit). The wireless reception isn't too brilliant - in other rooms the signal can be poor and occasionally drops out unless I move around.
Other than the few niggles a great piece of kit.
For what I want it for I'm well happy.

4.0 out of 5 stars My Acer Iconia A 501 tablet, 28 May 2012
Joseph Grima "Joe Grima" (Malta) - See all my reviews
Excellent tablet. Came up to all my expectations. Apple I pad is no match to this tablet. Only slight difference is in the rather slower start when switching on the tablet. In that department I pad is faster but the a501 has many more plus points over I pad such as the USB port, HDMI facility, availability for Adobe flash etc. The Acer is slightly heavier than the I pad which is also slimmer but I did not find that to be a problem. The Acer tablet's performance in every department is first class and I am very happy with it. It is ,in my book, a highly recommended item.

5.0 out of 5 stars Acer Iconia tab, 21 April 2012
Wow, I was amazed by the quality of this product straight out of the box. Eat your heart out ipad owners. It has none of the restrictions that an ipad has. One is free to do whatever, from wherever, for example, drag and drop all your collections of music and photos.

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars, 6 Sep 2014
did not last up to a year before it crashed and could not be repair

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish!, 6 Dec 2011
Great gadget. Does all it promises and I warrant much better than some other 'fruity' manufacturer.

Just one thing which has kept it from 5 stars. In the month or so I have had it, Android has conked in twice. The second time it was updating a game that comes preloaded on the tablet.
It refuses pointblank to boot up and a hard reset is needed which wipes everything you have put on. If your Google synch is working it will retrieve everything but its a pain and takes a bit of time.
It doesn't keep your progress on Angry birds though.. total disaster! :)

All in all, a good buy. And don't be misled, the Android shop has plenty on offer. There are surely only so many weather widgets you would need.

11 Months on from my above review: The power button stopped working a few days ago.
I was on holiday in England when I bought my A501.
I duly contacted Acer support here in South Africa and was told the warranty doesn't count for anything as I had bought it overseas.
It's an Acer product, it shouldn't matter whether I bought it in South Africa or on the Moon. It broke, its under warranty, fix it!!
I have reduced my rating to 2 stars for 2 reasons
- It has broken after not even a year
- Acer for having a loophole in not honouring their warranty.

When it's working it's great and does everything you could want from a tablet.

March 2013 - I wish I could give zero stars.
I have had the item for just over a year. In that time, the charger has packed up and the power switch bent on the motherboard as it has nothing supporting it as I mentioned above. I managed to bend it back and get a bit of support in.
Unfortunately it fell off completely a couple of months later. I sent it to an IT company to have it re soldered.
"Sorry, its not viable, needs a new screen and motherboard!" The cost would be 200 Pounds more than what I paid for it.
Good bye Acer, I will never buy any of your junk again.