Published 5 months ago by peter pullar-strecker

2.0 out of 5 stars Ok but very noisy
Published on 12 July 2012 by K. D. Parsons

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite new but sofar it's excellent and saving my sanity: does everything without fuss., 28 Mar 2014
This review is from: Brother DCP7055 Compact Mono Laser All-In-One Printer (Accessory)
I use a printer only occasionally, perhaps for one item a week, if that. As a result the heads on my wireless ink jet printer usually need to be cleaned at each use and the tiny ink cartridges (four of them, each smaller than a matchbox) run out quickly and ink is cost unreasonable. I don't need wirless and I seldom need colour so I opted for a black only laser printer with coppier (and therefore, scanner) . I used a big laser printer 15 years ago when I was running my own consultancy and it served me well till advances with computers made it incompatable. Laser toners don't dry out if you're not using them (it's dry powder) and the printers don't spend minutes getting ready (and often then not printing) . This Brother is quite small, prints, copies and scans quickly, beautifully and without fuss. I've only just started using it, but so far it's saving my sanity. My coloured stuff will be done by Boots or a local print shop.
Anyone want a used colour wireless printer -going cheap?

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent machine,, but was supplied as new when in fact it was reconditioned., 7 Dec 2012
M. D. Souter "Mike Souter" (Norfolk, England) - See all my reviews
My dissatisfaction with the supplier notwithstanding, this really is an excellent little printer. I use it a lot for scanning, a job it does very well indeed. Haven't had any problems at all, so it comes highly recommended. Installation was very easy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Value, 25 Aug 2012
The printer is great for the price you're paying. For around 80 and you get a copier and a scanner. From this perspective, it's good value. Running costs are apparently higher than its competitor but for home and lower volume usage, 5p a sheet is not gong to break the bank compared to say 3 or 4p per sheet.

It's actually very quiet. I'm not sure why some reviewers are complaining. At work, we have some very expensive laser printers and they aren't exactly quieter.

The printer only has usb connector. Again, for this price it's what you expect.

I don't think anyone will be disappointed if buying it for basic home use.

For this price, it deserves a 5 out of 5. There aren't many printers cheaper with this spec.

2.0 out of 5 stars Ok but very noisy, 12 July 2012
Bought this as I needed a new laser printer with a built in scanner. The machine functions well enough, no complaints there, but the drone of the fan after every print or scan is intolerable. Phoned Brother for advice, they advised that the serial number identifies that machine as one of a bad batch and to ask Amazon for a replacement quoting a reference number. 10/10 to Amazon for providing a courier collection with free postage who delivered next day, but the replacement machine was just as noisy. Recontacted Brother who are to arrange a replacement direct from themselves. Here's hoping that their replacement will be quieter....

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value machine, 6 Mar 2013
Jon "Jon" (North Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this when my previous Brother printer, a 7030, died after years of faithful service. The 7055 seems an adequate replacement and good value. I've none of the noise problems other reviewers have mentioned.

My main reservation so far is that I'm getting far fewer copies per 'compatible' ink cartridge (the 'official' ones are hideously expensive, half the cost of the machine) -- than I did with the 7030. I've tried cartridges from several sources at prices ranging from 14 to 24 apiece and none give me more than about 250 A4 copies (of admittedly a fairly busy page) - about 6p a page at best. I was getting 500-600 on the 7030, and paying no more than 15 a cart. This may be because the 7055 cartridges are slightly smaller, which brings me to my main gripe - why can't Brother design machines that accept carts and drums from other models? When the 7030 failed I was left with its drum and several spare carts, and they're a few millimetres too big to fit the new machine. Profit for Brother, I suppose, but very irritating.

All that said, it's a neat, fast and efficient machine and as far as I can see as good as anything else on the market - recommended for everyday use, but you mght think twice if you want to do long runs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great purchase!, 3 May 2014
I was worried about how to set up the printer but in the end it was pretty straightforward (although the instructions weren't that great).
So far it has been working well and prints, scans and copies brilliantly.
I would recommend it to anyone who works from home or runs a small business - as it is very economical to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, 24 Feb 2014
Bought as was getting fed up with inkjet which I do not use that often and its cartridges would dry out & have leaked.
I did buy as new from amazon who put the order out to Alba but when it came it was actually a refurbished printer and not new, though I would not have known apart from a label on it and has a 1 year guarantee.
A lot cheaper than I could buy on the high street.
It did come next day delivery, even though I opted for the free delivery

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 20 Feb 2014
This Brother printer is great for my home office. Printing time is fast and also comes with a toner for the price

5.0 out of 5 stars Value for money printer from Brother., 27 Jan 2014
Usual efficient service from Amazon .the printer is robust and well designed and ideal for home or small office use .Installation instructions are clear and installation trouble free ,The printer is brilliant value for money and thoroughly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 30 Dec 2013
Joe "Joe4262" (England) - See all my reviews
After unboxing and plugging in to the computer (Windows 8.1) the printer worked straight away as a plug-and-play; scanning, copying and printing. No need to install any of the software that comes with the printer.

I work with HP 2025's, 5550's and 4250's and personally prefer this Brother printer: it is a great size, fast, VERY cheap toners and feels sturdy/robust.

If you are looking for a business standard mono printer, with scanning capabilities I would strongly recommend this printer.