Format: Audio CD|Change

on 28 September 2006
This album is classic Ray with lucsious strings and brass arrangements. Featuring that 'big band' sound that is synonymous with Basie and Ellington. In his very productive career Charles gradually progressed from playing in his own trio to adding brass and wind instruments and a backing vocal group dubbed 'the raelettes'. I would describe the love songs on this album as smooth and visceral (from the heart), the stand-out track for me being 'come rain or come shine'. A very special album from a very special artist.
on 5 August 2015
Having heard all of his songs many times this was the first time I had heard them as they should be, on an album. Calling anyone else a Genius would be a real mistake. But not in this case.
I am so glad I have it in my collection.
on 23 February 2005
If you are trying to work out what genius is, you should be listening to this record. Because this is indeed a great CD not only for Ray Charles fans but for all people who love beautiful, versatile and intelligent music. This 19-track CD includes one of the best songs by the late Ray Charles. "Blues Is My Middle Name" sings Ray Charles but so is R&B and Soul, Jazz and Rock'n'Roll because he literally influenced American music like no other artist did and all these genres wouldn't be the same if it wasn't for Ray Charles. If you haven't got anything by America's greatest singer, then this album is strongly recommended!!!
on 9 November 2015
This CD is a remastered version the 1959 album by Ray Charles, if you like jazz and blues them its for you, Make sure you by the latest release because there is a marked difference in sound quality from the original release.
There are many releases of this disc. Mine is in the Atlantic Masters series, but has the same content as described here. Atlantic had the annoying habit of printing white on red in miniscule font size so my aging eyes find reading the cover, and enclosed booklet nigh on impossible! The track titles are in black! Hooray!
It seems that the backing band is made up largely of members of the Basie and Ellington bands plus some supplements e.g. Zoot Sims, David Fathead Newman, etc. who ever they are they sure can play. There is a string backing on some tracks e.g. "Just For A Thrill".
Charles sings on every track and plays piano.
This is a worthy album with some star recordings e.g. "let The Good Times Roll", "Just For A Thrill", "Come Rain or Come Shine".
on 21 January 2009
when people talk about ray charles i get a lovely feeling inside because the joy he give me when i was a kid lives forever he touched my soul but what ennoys me is the radio only ever plays 1or2 songs of his hit the road jack and goergia on my mind fab songs but theres so much more to ray charles!! and this album shows just what a talent he is he was a genius a way head of his time and very creatve just like jimi hendrix lennon/mccartney goffin/king joe meek phil spector etc i love dont let the sun catch you crying let the good times roll and loads more buy it classic!! i also reccommend modern sounds in country and western music and ingredients in a recipe for soul classics i must stress this album isant a best of its an actual album
on 8 August 2014
Excellent album and brings back many happy memories as the original vinyl was one of my first records bought as a teenager.
on 6 June 2013
I have been a fan of Ray Charles for many years. He. Is an outstanding musician,both as a singer and instrumentalist
on 28 March 2014
it was a gift for my husband at christmas and he was thrilled, some tracks we have never heard of before
on 7 March 2015
I am happy withe my purchase and the quick delivery.