1,307 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars So far it works
Published on 27 Jun 2011 by astroguy

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Limited Results
Plagued by 6 of the estimated 9 million pet cats in the UK - one of the things is enough, tried everything! I read the reviews before buying, even watched videos of similar devices in action.

Here are the problems:

Published on 19 Mar 2012 by A. McGrath

5.0 out of 5 stars So far it works, 27 Jun 2011
This review is from: PestBye Battery Operated Cat Repeller - Ultrasonic Cat Scarer (Misc.)
I wasn't sure if this cat repeller would work but going on the reviews thought it worth a try. We had a neighbour's cat which had been coming into our garden for some time and using it as a toilet. We have just re-planted and it was really annoying that the soil was being dug up every day. So time to try this cat repeller......it seemed to work immediately which was surprising as the instructions said it may take two or three weeks to work for a long-term visitor. The cat has been seen around the garden but has not ventured into it from day one. The soil hasn't been disturbed anywhere in the garden so am really pleased so far having only been used for just over a week.
The only slight drawbacks I found was that there's no on-off switch to stop it coming on while we are in the garden moving around, and the battery compartment requires a very small screwdriver to undo the back. Otherwise really pleased and it does work (I've put it on setting 4 with a medium sensitivity).

Update 27/11/12 :- Well, have been using this for a good while now and is still working perfectly. I've used rechargable batteries and have only had to recharge twice in the best part of 18 months. For those who find it doesn't work, all I can say is I don't know why unless it isn't positioned correctly or is set at an incorrect setting - mine definately works. I have just bought another one to position in a corner of the garden that can't be detected by the first one (behind a wall), where the cat has started to mess but no sign of mess in the main garden area still.

5.0 out of 5 stars john H, 21 Aug 2011
Had the PestBye Battery operated Cat Repeller for over 2 months now. At first it did not seem to work. But perservered and my advice to those who have purchased and think it does not work, try the following. First instructions are non existant therefore go on amazon site and find product (which is out of stock at present) and print the instructions from here. Also note most people have problems with cats therefore make sure you set it to 2/4 count the dots on the left. Set range to about 20ft and angle it carefully. Peoples batteries will last beyond 2 months if you do not set it to high, and you use good rechargable batteries.(ie Eneloop or Panasonic recharge 1200/1500 times) cheap on Amazon. Hope this helps

4.0 out of 5 stars function effectiveness, 18 April 2012
As many other reviewers, I found it fiddley to assemble. Battery cover screw holes had to be enlarged before accepting self tapper screws. Common complaint, assembly information detail given (simple anyway, apart from being awkward). The important part where a bit of help is required, i.e. operating instructions were non existant.
These it turns out are available on [...].
The repeller actually works. I got rid of a persitant visitor after about five days. It required a bit of setting up in right posistion. I would say that the Pestby is most effective in a small garden. To save you hunting, details of operating info attached below.

The Cat repeller is the quickest fix for cats in the garden. Battery powered, it's easy to install by pushing into the ground using the stake supplied, or it can be screwed to a wall or fence.
Fully waterproof, it can be left out in any weather.

Why the motion sensor?
The repeller comes complete with an infra-red (PIR) motion sensor which turns the device on when a warm body enters the controlled area. This has an important purpose other than saving battery life: researchers have found that cats can become desensitised to the noise if they realise that random sounds are not associated directly with their presence in the controlled area. With the motion sensor, the cat learns to associate the noise with its own movement and is much less likely to stop being afraid of the noise.

Frequency Settings
This repeller device allows you to change the output frequency, enabling you to have the most effective solution for your particular pest problem. Listed below are the types of animals that this repeller can be used against and the most effective setting for each.

Working from left to right (from the smallest dot to the largest)

Cats - Between 3 - 5
Dogs - Between 3 - 4
Foxes - Between 3 - 6
Squirrels Between 2 - 7
Rodents - Between 2 - 7
Insects - Between 2 - 7
Roaches - Between 9 - 11

N.B If set on numbers one or two the chances of humans being able to hear this are greatly increased.
Batteries
Requires four AA batteries. Battery life depends on how many times the device is activated, but they typically last 3-4 months assuming 10 activations per day.Batteries are not supplied as standard but we can supply them (see options above).

What area does it cover?
It covers an 80 degree arc, to a distance of up to 23ft (7m), giving a total unobstructed working area of 184sq ft. Unlike most other repellers this allows you to cover a smaller area with the sensitivity dial. The repeller will give you the full 7m if the dial is fully round to the right to decrease the distance turn to the left, this will help to increase battery life as the repeller will cover the distance you want it to.

How quickly will it work?
If cats have a habit of feeding and fouling in your garden, it can take 14-28 days to deliver the full deterrent effect. 'Occasional' visitors will usually be stopped within 7 days. If you have a dog, the dog may be affected if it is allowed in the same part of the garden. The sound doesn't travel well through walls and fences, so it won't affect a dog in the house, or a neighbour's dog. Of course, as with all methods involving animal behaviour, we can't guarantee effectiveness in every situation, however, our own experience and the feedback we get from customers suggests that this device is effective in almost all situations.

Will it affect birds?
Not at all - you'll be able to welcome the birds back to your garden.

Occasionally, children and some adults may be able to hear this device. If this happens it will usually only occur while children are in the garden.

Dimensions
Height 10.5cm, Width 10.5cm, Depth 4.7cm.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Limited Results, 19 Mar 2012
A. McGrath - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Here are the problems:

1. Placement of the PIR - even though it will pick a human up very easily, the cats can be lower, (sloping/multi-level garden), or move too quickly or just sit still, to set it off for long.

2. Noise - When the cats hear it, some will visibly shudder and will move away (not for long), others barely notice it, some will go up and sniff it. I've seen cats sitting in the next garden (a few feet away), take absolutely no notice when I set it off.

3. Batteries and Settings - use rechargeable batteries, rechargeable will last at least 1 month. Settings/Sensitivity - a cat can hear approximately between 48hz - 60+Khz. The instructions state between 3-5 on the scale (Hope that covers it). At best all you can do is change it within the range every other day to prevent conditioning. However every cat is different and responds differently. High/Low sensitivity (more/less coverage area) effectively just means it uses more/less battery power.

4. Quality - Reasonably well made. I've had no problems with water ingress into the battery compartment and nothing has fallen off or broke.

5. Results - I'm genuinely glad that the product seems to have worked for the 5 star reviewers, unfortunately I have not found this to be the case in my situation. All of the local FELINE VERMIN do respond from a mere glance to moving a few feet away, but again not for long. Each cat is different, placement of the device is very important, The device only runs for a short time and then stops sounding, by this time the cat has moved out of range and carries on destroying your flower beds and fouling just about everything. VERY IMPORTANT: It should also be noted that even if initially the cat dislikes the noise, after a very short time it learns to ignore it. I have to say on balance, if you want to try it, good luck - you'll need it, but you'll probably find if it works it won't be for long. Oh! and one last other thing, one of my neighbours cats is deaf!

Addendum:

Info from the Cats Protection Website FAQ section: In the Environment FAQs / Keeping cats out of my garden - Research has found that ultrasound/ultrasonic devices do not tend to deter cats very effectively. I would have to agree but I tried it anyway. (NB: Research suggests the lack of deterrent effect, it is quoted here for your information and does not express an opinion about this particular product.)

5.0 out of 5 stars 1 or 5 stars?, 25 Oct 2012
One explanation for the extreme ratings (either 1 or 5 stars) is the age of the cat and deafness. Seems to be a fairly common hereditary problem for domestic cats. Sensitivity to the high frequencies used in this product are normally the first to go as the cat ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems to do the job at a very reasonable price, 23 July 2011
T. Ogden (Oxfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
After arrival:
Plus: neat, low cost, uses AA batteries, the light and clicks show when it is emitting, delivered day after order (from Primrose).
Minus: no on-off switch, fiddly screws to attach spike and battery cover, need to go to website for operating instructions.
Does it work? We shall soon see - that wretched cat has been in that corner 4 times in the last 3 days.
Three weeks later:
Cat hasn't been seen within range since buying. Also have overcome the lack of a switch by covering it with a flower pot when I'm working in the area. So I'll upgrade my mark to 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Goodbye cats!, 13 Jun 2011
I was sceptical whether this would work, but it does! I have positioned it near the bird feeders in the front garden and have taken great pleasure in seeing the cats recoil as they get close to it. Consequently, after a few approaches, one cat just positions itself 12 feet away and another just gives it a really wide berth! Considering buying another for the back garden now. The birds can feed in peace and safety which was the objective. Hope this is helpful to any other bird lovers.

5.0 out of 5 stars converted cynic, 16 May 2012
I did not believe this would work. But I was at my wit's end, and was prepared to try anything.
Mine is the only garden as far as I can see to have flower beds instead of paving, so ALL of the cats in the neighbourhood would use my garden to relieve themselves. I couldn't let my son out to play before I had cleared it all each morning, and after a weekend away I actually half-filled a carrier bag with the stuff. They would scratch up my plants and kill birds on my lawn. I never liked cats, but I had become the mad woman who would swear at them in the street.
My dad keeps pigeons, and he told me that he hasn't had a cat in his garden since he installed his (expensive) sonic repeller, so I thought I would give it a go.... but being the cynic that I am, I bought this, the cheapest model on Amazon (less money wasted when it didn't work), plus 'silent roar' lion poo pellets and repellant rods to try when I gave up on the sonic device.
The sonic device arrived very quickly, so I put it out straight away and dared it to work.
How wrong could I be?
Since then I have neither seen a single cat in my garden, nor found one of their foul presents. My plants and wild birds are all intact, and the rods and lion poo pellets remain in their packaging. I would pass a few days off as coincidence, but after three weeks without incident I think it is safe to say that this sonic cat repeller is working, and working very well indeed.
It has no ill-effect on next door's dog, wild birds or hedgehogs (I had never had a hedgehog in my garden before the cats stopped coming), it is unobtrusive, cheap and very effective. Why wouldn't you buy it?
Two tiny downsides are easily rectified- the complete lack of instructions in the box can be found online, and it has no off switch so it is necessary to cover the device with a plant pot when you work in the garden to save the batteries. No effort whatsoever when you consider the joy of having no moggy mess to clear up each morning.
I have never been happier to be wrong about something.

4.0 out of 5 stars Effective product at a very reasonable price, 20 May 2011
The first PestBye that I received had a small fault but the customer service at the manufacturer was excellent and a replacement arrived the next day. The PestBye utilizes 4 x AA batteries rather than the 9 volt PP9 batteries used in most of the other models I looked at, this allowed me to use AA rechargeable batteries and charger that I already owned. The garden area I wanted to cover measures only about 5 x 4 metres so this model was ideal. Since installing it I have seen cats start to venture into my garden but turn around after the ultrasonic speaker is activated. The only problems I have had with it are that I would have liked an on/off switch as when I am in the garden I can hear the unit continually activating, running down the batteries, and as my garden is so small it does not seem to make any difference even if I turn the range sensitivity know down to minimum. The other small complaint I have is that the PIR activates a small relay that then activates the ultrasound generator and I can hear this relay clicking each time it activates. All in all this is an effective cat deterrent for smaller gardens.

1.0 out of 5 stars UTTER WASTE OF TIME MONEY AND BATTERY'S., 7 July 2014
Ok so i have had this for some time now.And i have tried it in several locations in my garden,and with different settings.
Firstly the motion detection works.
We have our own cat,that is only allowed out in the garden on a harness(Due to a injury)And this Repeller only irritates him a little.One cat that comes in my garden is oblivious to this Repeller(Deaf i assume).Other cats that come in to my garden seem to notice this repeller.But just carry on using my garden as a toilet.In fact when i reviewed my CCTV this morning two cats took a dump bang in line with it not more than 7 feet away WTF!!!.

So to conclude this repeller is a waste of money/time and battery's.