4.0 out of 5 stars Overall very happy with my purchase
I'm not going to go in to great technical detail on the XOOM as there are other great reviews on here that will do that. I just want to help the non-techies decide if this tablet is worth buying.

Published on 26 Jan 2012 by peachums

2.0 out of 5 stars Almost....no support
I've been using the device since launch with mixed feelings.
First the bad
Motorola seem to be highly focused on the US market, a month after this device got a major update in the US still no sign of it in the UK or anywhere outside the US. They've not even kept the community up to data as to when we can expect it.
Secondly this as a non functional SD card...
Published on 14 Jun 2011 by Mr. James Scott

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall very happy with my purchase, 26 Jan 2012
This review is from: Motorola Xoom 10.1 inch Android Tablet (1GB RAM, 32GB Memory, Wi-Fi, Android 3.0, Up to 10hrs battery life) (Personal Computers)

I got the XOOM wifi model from the carphone warehouse a few weeks ago for £250 and it has turned out to be a great buy. I'd like to say I spent weeks agonising over the choices but I didn't. I had originally bought an Arnova 10 G2 which was very good for the £140 price tag apart from the facts that; the screen was just impossible to view from any other angle than front on; the back left was VERY hot after an hours use. So totally useless for myself and daughter to play Angry Birds on or watch Charlie and Lola on!!

CPW 'gracially' allowed an exchange after the few days I had owned it and it was a choice between XOOM and IPAD2. There are plenty of cheaper smaller screen models as well as IPAD size/price models but the XOOM at half the price of the IPAD was very attractive.

I've owned a Macbook for a number of years, so I'm familiar with Apple as opposed to just being anti-Apple. Whilst Apple tend to very easy on the eye and have very good products overall, they are restrictive in what they will allow to run on their systems. Also they have decided to go for the ' I must have the latest and I am willing to pay for it' share of the market so they are almost always the most expensive and not always the best value for money.

Anyway I decided to get the XOOM on; its price; the fact that it had a clear, large, responsive screen, viewable from several angles; it appeared to have enough hardware to make it useful (dual core, 1gb ddr2, 32gb flash disk)

So here's my plus-minus list for what it's worth:-

Plus
6. Genuine android marketplace so shed loads of free apps to choose from
7. 5MP camera and HD video recording
8. Good styling and solid feel to it
9. Extremely good battery life

All in all a very usable device

Minus
1. Cannot connect a USB device such as hard disk or flash drive but I believe a firmware fix is in the pipeline
2. Heavy-ish but not unpleasant to hold, however could also be said to just feel solid
3. HD video sometimes stutters when recording but I think that is due to other running applications
4. SD card can only be written to when connected to PC however it is very usable at 32GB max. for storing movies, etc. and I believe there is a firmware fix for this in the pipeline

Some issues but then doesn't everthing!

With regards to accessories:-
1. The motorola gel cover fits very well and protects the back of the device
2. Screen protectors: get one that is designed for this model and get several (see my other reviews)
3. I found the Motorola case to be good for protection but useless as a stand so I bought a seperate case and seperate stand (see my other reviews)
4. Motorola dock is good for one position stand with power supply and headphone socket, but prevent access to the USB and Mini HDMI connectors so a real drawback if you ask me. The Motorola speaker dock has the same issues as well as apparently having poor speakers

I hope this brain dump has been useful to someone!

4.0 out of 5 stars A good start but it's not there yet, 21 April 2011
I have been using the Motorola Xoom for 2 weeks so I will share my experience so far. The tablet build is very good - it's heavy (hard to hold with one hand for long) and solid. The screen is gorgeous and Android 3.0 looks beautiful. The battery can easily give you 8-10 hours and charges up quickly.

Now for the bad part - it's not a finished product. I have been using Android phones for the last 3 years and their browser is very fast and stable. That's not the case with the Xoom - the browser is slower and it crashes often closing all your tabs. The tablet standby function often doesn't work and the tablet drains battery even if not in use.

Hopefully Motorola will release a firmware update soon with fixes for all of those frustrating issues. I will update my review when that happens. Until then I would recommend this tablet only to the most geeky guys like me who are willing to work with beta software.

UPDATE 16/05: Android 3.1 update is available and it does fix most of the issues. The browser is faster and I haven't experienced crash since the update. However most sites still show mobile phone sized version and there is no setting for user-agent in the browser.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Tablet Available for Apple Haters (or anyone else)?, 1 Oct 2011
C. P. Dyckes "Colin" (Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
I spent a huge amount of time researching all the tablets on the market before deciding that this one was the best. In my opinion, I wasn't mistaken and I couldn't be more pleased with it.

I refuse to even consider anything made by Apple such as the Ipad as it is totally proprietary, and locks you in to iTunes even for simple file transfer.

I was considering waiting for the HP 2760p "convertible" notebook, but at 4 times the price (and weight) for the top end model, which isn't even available yet, decided that the 32GB Motorola Xoom would do everything I wanted, as I already have both a 10" Netbook and a 17" Notebook (top end Dell). I didn't buy the 3G version as I will 'tether' to my smartphone via Bluetooth.

First task was to update with the 'pushed' Honeycomb 3.1 release of Android (3.2 is supposedly available already but is not showing as an available update yet, but I hope it will be soon). With 3.1 installed, the external swappable SDHC card slot is enabled, and, on plugging the Xoom in to a PC's USB port, you are given a choice of internal 32Gb "SD Card" or external SDHC card (slight disappointment that you have to select one or the other, and unplug to switch, but a minor issue in practise). You can then easily drag and drop files to and from the Xoom and PC to install your music/video collections (I believe Motorola also provide some software to 'sync' these items, but I haven't even opened the CD paper sleeve).

The in-built Browser works well, the Android market has a wide selection of Apps, and, using one of them -File Manager HD - I can access any PC or any of my three NAS attached Terastations on my network directly and transfer files in either direction - I don't think you can do that with an iPad!

I have had the very occasional crash and auto-reboot, but not often enough to be an issue, and mainly when I'm running a lot of Apps at the same time (the iPad2 also crashes in use as often seen on the Sky News channel!).

Built in GPS works brilliantly, and can acquire over 6 satellites whilst I'm sitting in my lounge (and 9 or so outside), and works brilliantly with Google Maps, and with a 'Star Map' App that I downloaded. Wi-Fi works perfectly, though restricted to a 32bit key, but that equates to 256-bit AES so is more than secure enough (another free app shows which channels are in use so you can pick the best one for home use).

It also runs FLASH!!!

The App store may not be as 'well-stocked' as the iTunes one, but I've found everything I need including a complete Outlook Sync App to supplement the Gmail account used by the inbuilt email client, and numerous video playback Apps to cope with just about any format, as well as a good number of games using the tilt/accelerometer mechanism.

As you can probably tell, I think the Xoom is simply BRILLIANT, and I would recommend it unreservedly to anyone wanting a tablet? It's EXACTLY what I've been waiting and searching for!

EDIT: As mentioned by another poster, Motorola have a promotion for a FREE wirless keyboard and mouse for Xooms ordered between July 1st and October 31st (whilst stocks last). I took advantage of this, and they are en-route, via courier, for delivery first day next week. I tried putting the link in a previous edit, but I don't think Amazon allow that, and so it didn't appear, but hopefully they will allow me to quote "motorolaxoompromotion" and tell you to look on the company's uk website, especially as it is an official promotion that is worth having (£80 worth FOC!).

4.0 out of 5 stars Good and only getting better, 2 May 2011
Andreas Iacovou (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
My tablet journey began with the original ipad 16GB last year which was okay, particularly if you have invested a lot of cash in the Apple camp over the years (itunes etc). I then tried the Samsung Galaxy Tab which was also good but not quite there as a tablet experience (too similar to a big phone). After much research and consideration I decided to take the plunge on Google's first 'official' tablet and I'm glad I did!

From the moment you take it out of the packaging you know you have bought some premium hardware. It looks and feels stunning and is slightly smaller in size to the first ipad. The screen is amazing and I love the fact that it's been designed to be primarily used in landscape with a great widescreen.

Coming from Google's previous version of Android on the Galaxy Tab, I was surprised just how different the whole user experience is. It takes some getting used to, but overall it is intuitive and visually stunning. I must emphasise that this operating system grants you an amazing amount of flexibility and the result is that you will probably never see another Xoom setup in the exact same way as yours. It gives you the opportunity to be a little unique.

I'll be honest, it took me around 4 hours to set it up and I'm still tweaking after a week of ownership. I get the feeling that this will continue for a while longer, but this is part of the attraction of Android. This is not going to be for everyone and if you want a tablet ready to use out of the box with little in the way of user creativity this may not be for you. If you enjoy being given 90% of the finished product and applying the finishing touches in order to customize to your exact tastes and requirements you will love this. I certainly do.

I deliberated whether to award 4 or 5 stars and opted for 4 only because some of the functionality does not work at this time. For example the Micro SD card slot is not yet activated (will be in later firmware updates) and I found this quite strange. Also in terms of available optimised apps these are still quite limited but rest assured around 65-75% of the existing Android apps will work on this device and in time will no doubt be converted to work on tablet screens.

I really like this device and use it as a complement to my 17" laptop. I am excited at the prospect of growing with it as Google release further updates. In the mean time if you put some time in its completely usable and functions very well as a big screen tablet.

I have also bought the standard charging dock and the Motorola Protective Gel case. Great news is that even with the case fitted to the Xoom, it still fits onto the charging dock as the dock comes with a special adapter. Its the small things that matter sometimes :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Using the Xoom, 7 Oct 2011
Very impressed with the Xoom it has changed my surfing habits, I mostly use the Xoom for Internet research instead of my workstation. It's a bit heavy in the hand, but the battery life makes up for that, it seems to go on and on and on. While on holiday in Europe this year I used a Navigation App to do all my overland navigation, the built-in GPS gets a fix really quickly and again the battery life meant I could complete a long route without needing to charge up. The built-in camera is sensitive in low light albeit a bit grainy and switching between front and back camera's is great for video chat's. The Android app market seems to be chock full of interesting stuff and so far I've not had many bothersome compatibility issues between the Xoom Android version and apps designed for mobiles. Occasionally some apps don't respond to rotating the screen properly or just can't make use of the larger screen over a mobile phone.

I've had the web browser crash a couple of times on websites with email clients built in, but the Xoom itself has never crashed, if an app crashes it tells you and Android cleans up the mess. The on-screen keyboard ought to have some way of changing it to give you a more personalised input method, it has .com as a shortcut, why not give the option to change that and others to .co.uk or whatever locale type is appropriate.

Handling to start with is a little tricky, you have to avoid touching too far in to the screen when swapping hands so as not to fire off an app or in one instance I managed to accidentally click an instant buy button for some personal item when swapping hands!

The hardware itself has a quality feel about it over and above others I have fondled in high street stores, but is slightly heavy when using it for prolonged periods. Using the 3G function when not near a hotspot is great but sometimes orientation can have a big influence on signal strength. I suspect this is going to be a problem in all these kinds of tablets just like the iPhone signal problem, the antenna is crammed into the case out of sight and warm moist hands are going to affect the mobile signal. Speed is no problem the processor seems to be capable of handing everything I've chucked at it including watching videos without stuttering which is more than can be said of others types I've tried in-store.

Overall I'm very happy with the Xoom, it's a bit pricey but I feel you get what you pay for with this kit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent start for Motorola and Google, 2 May 2011
C A Hurley (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I've been using this tablet now for a solid 2 weeks. After much consideration I bought the Xoom in preference to the Ipad2, let me tell you why. I have an iphone and whilst this does everything I need it to do the OS is extremely limiting. No matter what anyone tells you the ipad is just an enlarged iphone, it is closed system and reliant on itunes, I would not swap a laptop for this! Now on to the Xoom:

The pros -
The hardware has excellent build quality. The touch screen is extremely responsive and video is amazing! The processors are powerful and the cameras are far superior to that found on another well known tablet. Honeycomb is a winner (nearly see below) it allows multiple customisations -your Xoom will look and feel unique, it's easy to use and the browser is close to desktop experience. HTML5 and Flash for unparallelled internet experience. The in built apps such as email make excellent use of the screen. The battery easily lasts 8 hours on heavy use or 15 hours for just checking the odd email and light browsing. Multitasking is a breeze!

The cons -
The tablet weighs the same as the ipad1 so is slightly too heavy for using as an e-reader. Honeycomb, just feels like it needs an update to aid stability and sd card support would be welcome. No trickle charging via usb, not that this matters as it only takes 3 hours to charge and the battery life is excellent. We need more apps...

Overall, would I consider this in preference to a netbook? Yes! as you can run this tablet completely independent of a computer. In fact I haven't used mine for days... the wife is loving it!

4 Stars only because honeycomb update required. PS sorry for any typos this was typed entirely on the Xoom.

5.0 out of 5 stars in a word Brilliant, 22 Oct 2011
I have had this tablet now for a few weeks so feel able to give a good review, in a word bloody marvellous.... its just the best knocks ipad into a cocked hat... its smooth, very fast loading pages, im running dolphin, browser which is great also.. beauty full photos from the camera, and the video calling with g talk is so good.... I can talk all day why you should buy this tablet, oh yeah the battery life is something else it lasted four days, the kindle is brilliant also, and you can use the Google books as well I like the way the Google books are as they turn like real page the kindle just flicks to next page but hey im not knocking either as I use both.... go on get this tablet you will not regret it......

5.0 out of 5 stars It's great, 30 Sep 2011
I bought this tablet after looking at so many others for a long time. In the end i just bit the bullet and bought the xoom. I read a lot of good reviews and some bad. But for the price i just went for it. As a tablet PC it really works well as a rival for the ipad. I am a big android fan and i am not let down by Honeycomb. To be very harsh, the OS can be a bit difficult if you don't know android too well, but it is very customisable. There are a lot of on screen buttons that take you all over the place, but once you have had a play for half an hour it's very intelligent and practical.
The only other downside is that it doesnt support avi. files (and others) with the built in media player, however, there are plenty of apps on the market that have the right codecs to support them.
The screen is is very nice and crystal clear, and with the larger 16.9 screen everything just seems so much better (especially angry birds!)
The processor is very good and runs everything really well and have so far had no problems with crashes or slowness.
It's a shame the SD slot isnt yet supported but the 32GB internal memory makes up for it for the time being.

I think this is a really good tablet and would reccommend to android fans. Apple users would probably get frustrated with it, but those people will probably go for the ipad anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent tablet at this price range, 26 Sep 2011
I've been using my wife's 3G Zoom and haven't been able to put it down. The web browsing experience is fast and slick, screen colours and detail well rendered and it also has a very good email client.

Amazon UK buyers are also able to claim a free mouse and keyboard until the end of october 2011 from a separate non-Amazon website!

The current android version is Honeycomb 3.1 and it works a treat. We've bought a 32GB micro SD card which reads and writes to perfectly. Honeycomb 3.2 is due imminently and should be even better. A lot of the negative reviews I've read seem to be from earlier Amazon buyers who waited a long time for the 3.1 update.

I've honestly found no problems with the weight of the tablet. My wife has quite small, weak wrists but she hasn't had a problem with it either. All in all a first class tablet and highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 1 Dec 2011
What a machine it is the bees knees with the legs thrown in.

I read all about it on the forums and the advertising sites and the tiny complaints were of no consequence.

Some complained that some ports are at the bottom, all you have to do is turn it upside down.

I think that if some of these complainers were to visit a perfect 5 Star Hotel, they would say the bog roll was the wrong colour.

The machine is for entertainment, don't expect it to do ALL that a PC/Laptop can do